Caught on cam: Biker nearly struck by SUV | GTAMotorcycle.com

Caught on cam: Biker nearly struck by SUV

I've had similar. Even this morning. Though I've never taken off a mirror or even actually kicked the offender.

Kicking a car while on a motorcycle could teach you a very important physics lesson...

And in full recognition that it's impossible to stay out of all blind spots all the time (this same thing has happened to me) ...

... That rider didn't need to be hanging out in that SUV's blind spot for so long. If you are stuck in that lane and can't overtake due to traffic ahead, drop back a little, at least enough to be out of the direct path of a potential lane change.

There will always be a moment when overtaking another vehicle that one passes through that blind spot and through the path of that potential lane change, so it's impossible to fully prevent this, but you can reduce the probability and consequences of it happening.

Similar thing happened to me with a similar outcome.
But like others mentioned, dont go head to head with a car. A motorcycle can easily lose.
Get inventive instead.

Last edited:
Bad move by the SUV, dangerous and ill-thought out display of temper by the biker. All it would take is a flick of the wheel and that biker is going down hard. Engaging in vehicular warfare while on a motorcycle is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Bad move by the SUV, dangerous and ill-thought out display of temper by the biker. All it would take is a flick of the wheel and that biker is going down hard. Engaging in vehicular warfare while on a motorcycle is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

This is true. Hence the need for safer ways to "get the message across" to those drivers who almost kill you and then use their car mass to still push you out of your own lane and get their way...or wlse

I get the biker's sentiment, but he could have easily have gone from 'close call' to dead in that incident because of his own actions.
I find waving the middle finger is a much safer way of expressing anger at other's dangerous driving

Sent from my MIX Lite using Tapatalk

This is true. Hence the need for safer ways to "get the message across" to those drivers who almost kill you and then use their car mass to still push you out of your own lane and get their way...or wlse

If one feels the need to assault someone in a fit of rage then they should follow them to their destination and engage them there.

Better yet, get a camera. If the event is recorded, get the license number of the vehicle (speak it into the mic if your setup is so equipped) then back off to a safe distance. Present your findings to the police and ask that they at least pay this individual a visit and talk to them about HTA 154(1)a.

But they won't. If the police received calls about a bike speeding through traffic or pulling a wheelie and they had a plate I'm sure they'd pay the rider a visit. It bothers me that when presented with video evidence of a dangerous infraction like an unsafe lane change taking place they're unlikely to visit the driver.

Maybe carrying a small bottle of dog repellent and a face-to-face confrontation would be more effective...

Mistakes happen...

If the driver wanted to intentionally put the biker in danger and cut him off, we would likely be dealing with a dead biker rather than one fleeing.

Just call it a close call because of some idiot and ride on, or if you feel the need, yell and throw hand gestures to get the message across.

Too many motorcyclists think smashing mirrors is the appropriate thing to do from all the Youtube videos doing it for views. I even know of a few GTA moto group "admins/organizers" who glorify and brag smashing mirrors because someone changed lanes into them.

Smashing mirrors and running away doesn't make you a tough guy, it makes you a wuss that would slap someone in the face and run away to show your anger.

Last edited:
I had the exact thing happen to me last year, luckily not on the highway... it was on a town street with a 60 limit. However the a$$hat that was driving deliberately ran me off the road because he didnt like me being in the lane he felt entitled to be in. I was literally riding beside him banging on the window giving him the WTF are you doing hand gesture while trying to ride in a straight line with about 3 feet of road and then the curb.
He was 100% at fault... I got a new GSXR 750 (upgrade from the 600 I had as it was written off), jacket and boots out of his insurance company.

Last edited:
Video doesn't show how long he was in the cars blind spot.Stupid rage.

I find the guy on the bike more to blame than the guy in the SUV....

Why does the biker have to sit in the blind spot of the SUV, either go slower or go faster and get out of that spot, it was not bumper to bumper traffic and he could have easily made it so he was not in that spot.

The SUV from what I can see really did everything correct, car to his left got ahead of him, SUV then signaled and proceeded to move over one lane, bike was probably in the blind spot, and SUV just did not see him, I don't see anything done by the SUV to be intentional.

Biker could have given him the one finger salute and sped off, breaking off the mirror, was just childish, lucky the SUV had more sense and left it at that, otherwise, there could have been a fatality, the biker, or charges for damage to the SUV, if the plate was captured and the SUV reported it to he police.

I usually don't react towards a driver if this happens to me, especially if I am behind his head and out of his field of vision, but if I can see him and he can see me, and he moves over then there is no excuse. Usually I try to make sure I amn ahead of them or well behind, I don't always have to be first.

This is exactly why some people like hearing about bike crashes. Rider was the bigger twat of this exchange; bad positioning, way too aggressive etc. What is it with bikers that feel so entitled? Ride defensively, it's much more enjoyable. Yeah the SUV made a bad lane change, but if this scenario gets that kind of reaction, do the world a favour and buy a bus pass. Clearly the biker is too incompetent to live long on two wheels anyway. You'd be amazed how easy it is for someone not to see a bike in their side mirror so ride accordingly

Bike should be impounded and sold to pay for the damages.

He/she is lucky the driver didn't feel threatened enough to run him/her into the guardrail.

....................I like how none of you are defending the rider.

油井緋色;2571882 said:
....................I like how none of you are defending the rider.

Thats because they haven't had any serious injuries because of drivers like that.

Ask the dude in the wheelchair how many ****s he gives about some soccer moms left side mirror because she was applying mascara while driving or seeing her tinder matches while changing lanes

Thats because they haven't had any serious injuries because of drivers like that.

Ask the dude in the wheelchair how many ****s he gives about some soccer moms left side mirror because she was applying mascara while driving or seeing her tinder matches while changing lanes

So, the rider should make things even more risky to himself by pulling a stunt like that? Lol, generation squashed. Try asking people that have been riding for more than one season what they are doing to preserve themselves. I'm pretty confident that elevating a scenario, making the transaction even more risky, and becoming an assailant are reserved for the window-licking types only.

So, the rider should make things even more risky to himself by pulling a stunt like that? Lol, generation squashed. Try asking people that have been riding for more than one season what they are doing to preserve themselves. I'm pretty confident that elevating a scenario, making the transaction even more risky, and becoming an assailant are reserved for the window-licking types only.

I personally wouldn't do that, but I have in the past maintained safe riding practices, and paid a little visit to the driver in question, in which case they piss their pants, and profusely apologize or pretend not to speak English.

Not saying his reaction was correct , but perhaps in the heat of the moment he was just kicking the vehicle to alert the driver to his presence.

Mistakes happen...

If the driver wanted to intentionally put the biker in danger and cut him off, we would likely be dealing with a dead biker rather than one fleeing.

Just call it a close call because of some idiot and ride on, or if you feel the need, yell and throw hand gestures to get the message across.

Too many motorcyclists think smashing mirrors is the appropriate thing to do from all the Youtube videos doing it for views. I even know of a few GTA moto group "admins/organizers" who glorify and brag smashing mirrors because someone changed lanes into them.

Smashing mirrors and running away doesn't make you a tough guy, it makes you a wuss that would slap someone in the face and run away to show your anger.

I personally wouldn't do that, but I have in the past maintained safe riding practices, and paid a little visit to the driver in question, in which case they piss their pants, and profusely apologize or pretend not to speak English.

Not saying his reaction was correct , but perhaps in the heat of the moment he was just kicking the vehicle to alert the driver to his presence.

I get that drivers can pull some dumb stuff, I'm just saying I'd rather not be a victim, and that going after people after they've made a mistake is futile. Plau put it best in the quoted post. Different story when someone INTENTIONALLY does something to take you out, but even then there are mature and legal ways to remedy that. I remember years ago a couple of boneheads near Woodstock got into it during the morning commute. One guy is dead, the other got 14 years. Stupid games yield stupid prizes I guess.

Back
Top Bottom