Distracted driver hits Toronto actor, appears to drive away from scene while on phone | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Distracted driver hits Toronto actor, appears to drive away from scene while on phone

Chrysler Uconnect reads back text messages as they come in when connected to an ordinary Android phone.

To me that's still distracted driving.

I'm going through some issues right now with some of my sms bot being rec'd by who I'm sending it to. Rogers was able to tell me at what time the sms "left" my phone, what number it went to, and what time it "got" to their phone.
They can only do this with the stock messaging app or similar.
What's app, imessage etc, would need to be through the app's database (I would think).

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

It's already here. I have CarPlay in my vehicles. When a text comes, the message is read to me. Then I can voice reply and it sends out the text for me.

I'm behind the times. Calling me a Luddite would be a compliment.

However doing the voice/text and vice versa gets close to talking to the person, the original intent of the phone.

Is there an allure to actually touching the keys that turns people on? Some textaholics text thousands of times a month. Then there are pictures and various social media. Does one voice text LOL, OMG, etc?

Does a robo voice make you want to smash your phone? Videos that use robo voice make me want to puke.

Well rack up another distracted driver hitting a motorcyclist. My wife riding my new bike (1 week old with 500kms) was stopped at an intersection in Niagara (Effingham and Pelham Rd) and a teenager in an SUV just runs right into the back of my new bike. Then the teenager backs up and takes off!

I had already turned right and had no idea what had happened but fortunatly another rider behind her took off after the SUV and caught up to her and forced her to come back, othewise she would have got away!

Wife is fine, did not drop the bike but my new baby has a lot of damage to the back fender and tail light. Nothing that can't be fixed though.

I just can't believe this girl just completely did not see the bike. She followed my wife for at least a km before the stop sign. I am convinced she was texting on her phone and was totally oblivious.

After she came back was crying, I am sure because she knew she was in big **** for leaving and the Police were on their way. Her parents show up and never once did the girl or her parents even once ask if my wife was okay. All the father wanted to do was pay me for the damage to keep it off the record.

I told him I have no idea how much damage there is and that it was at least $1000 which it is but told him to buzz off I will go thorough insurance. No buying me off to save your daughter. She deserves everything she is going to receive for this one. She got charged for following too close (should have been careless) but I am sure her insurance will go up considerably.

Anyhow glad my wife did not get hurt, the bike can be fixed a lot easier than a human. It could have been much worse!

Anyhow glad my wife did not get hurt, the bike can be fixed a lot easier than a human. It could have been much worse!

In your case I would have asked for a handsome amount. The girl was gonna get in trouble anyways, probably grounded. Hope your insurance doesn't go up.

Her parents show up and never once did the girl or her parents even once ask if my wife was okay. All the father wanted to do was pay me for the damage to keep it off the record.

This would've ticked me off. Come to your baby's rescue and not even care about the damage she might've done.
I would have pushed for a hit and run charge, have both you and your wife mention seeing her texting just prior to collision.

Well rack up another distracted driver hitting a motorcyclist. My wife riding my new bike (1 week old with 500kms) was stopped at an intersection in Niagara (Effingham and Pelham Rd) and a teenager in an SUV just runs right into the back of my new bike. Then the teenager backs up and takes off!

I had already turned right and had no idea what had happened but fortunatly another rider behind her took off after the SUV and caught up to her and forced her to come back, othewise she would have got away!

Wife is fine, did not drop the bike but my new baby has a lot of damage to the back fender and tail light. Nothing that can't be fixed though.

I just can't believe this girl just completely did not see the bike. She followed my wife for at least a km before the stop sign. I am convinced she was texting on her phone and was totally oblivious.

After she came back was crying, I am sure because she knew she was in big **** for leaving and the Police were on their way. Her parents show up and never once did the girl or her parents even once ask if my wife was okay. All the father wanted to do was pay me for the damage to keep it off the record.

I told him I have no idea how much damage there is and that it was at least $1000 which it is but told him to buzz off I will go thorough insurance. No buying me off to save your daughter. She deserves everything she is going to receive for this one. She got charged for following too close (should have been careless) but I am sure her insurance will go up considerably.

Glad your wife is ok. If they attempt a hit and run, my kids will have much bigger problems with me than with the police or insurance. No wonder she tried to run, her parents are raising her to be a useless tit.

Glad everyone is OK but don't assume anything. Re the bike make sure it's 100% and no frame bends. Spare no expense. It's their nickel.

The same with the bodies. See how they feel in a day or so.

I agree with going through insurance and calling the police. How often have we heard the "I'll pay cash" routine and when the real numbers roll out they want to stiff you? Thanks to our screw the client insurance your bike will have a damage history which diminishes its trade in value. In the USA you automatically get a cheque for diminished value. Thank your local MPP.

The crybaby bit pisses me off. She's crying because she got caught. If the other rider hadn't taken action the self centred B would be texting again in about 10 minutes "OMG You'll never guess what just happened."

She left the scene and had to be made to return. Why wasn't she charged with hit and run? Maybe a criminal charge with a five figure legal fee plus the collision plus the insurance hit would make a few people take stupidity seriously.

And jail time, if serious injury or death occurs. Should be similar to a DWI conviction.

The penalty must be Severe Enough in order for peeps to take notice...

i agree with your second sentence, but I would change the first to “jail time if caught driving using a cell phone or electronic device.”

Yesterday, I was almost hit, and probably almost seriously injured or killed, twice. In the first instance, a woman ran right through a red light as I was making a left turn on the green. Luckily, for some reason, I looked right as I was making my turn, and saw her coming, and was able to avoid a collision. I caught up with her at the next stoplight and banged on her window, and guess what? She was focused on the cell phone in her hand. I raged at her, and she said she hadn’t seen the red light or me (I wear a high-vis jacket), and I pointed to her cell phone and said “that’s why”. “I wasn’t on my phone”, she said. Right.

I am seeing distracted drivers every day. They are killing and injuring people, and we riders are, of course, much more vulnerable than car drivers.

I would like like to propose that we, the GTA motorcycling community, begin a co-ordinated campaign to significantly increase the penalties associated with distracted driving, as well as for significantly increased enforcement. This will involve lobbying MPP’s, and with the new Provincial government, it is an opportune time.

Easy fix:
Can I see your phone for just 2 seconds?
... tosses phone on ground and stomps on it.
There you go all done thanks :)
.... returns broken bits to owner for proper disposal or recycling where facilities exist.
Y'all have a good day now.
Problem solved.

I am also noticing more distracted drivers. The latest "idiot" trick is using their phone mounted to the windshield to watch movies. I saw a driver flick off the gps software to watch some video at a red light.

Back
Top Bottom