How do you know if a pre-2011 law change bike is actually blue plated? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you know if a pre-2011 law change bike is actually blue plated?

johnnnw

This might be a really dumb question, but I am looking at buying another bike that doesn't come street legal, but was converted pre 2011 when this was possible.

Is the fact that it has a ontario issued ownership sheet mean its blue plated? What do you actually look for on the title to know? Or does the title its self mean it is indeed plate-able. Just don't want to run into any issue. I have no idea how to actually tell if it listed in the Ontario system as plateable....

Don't really understand this stuff much as you can tell, any help is appreciated.

I am quite sure the law changed before 2011, more like 2006.
Try to get UVIP and that will tell you the bike's status.

I am quite sure the law changed before 2011, more like 2006.
Try to get UVIP and that will tell you the bike's status.

Oh okay, I thought it was 2011 for whatever reason.

Anyways, what will I be looking for on the UVIP?

2007 was the law change. Those bikes have been grandfathered, no worries but take a good look at the ownership. Offroad ownerships will be Brown in colour. Blue plated dirtbikes will have a green ownership like your current street bikes/cars. It will also have "fit" or "unfit" at the top just like your street bikes.

If it was once blue plated and the owner decided to switch it to offroad and get a green plate... you will be unable to change it BACK to blue plated. I have seen people advertising "it can be blue plated" but in the ad they clearly are sporting a green plate affixed to the number plate. Can't go back and forth at least thats what I was told at the service ontario.

Be skeptical of models newer than 2007 claiming blue plate. It IS possible, I have seen it but they may have had a friend at the MTO push it through.. or someone made an error. Dealers can sometimes pull strings I have heard its easier to do when the bike is brand new but they know they are in the wrong.. Have heard of plates being revoked on a new 2016 wr450f.

Someone else may chime in with their own experience, but I've done a decent bit of research on the topic when I tried to get my own bike blue plated a few years ago and then just got one that was done pre 07.

Last edited:
2007 was the law change. Those bikes have been grandfathered, no worries but take a good look at the ownership. Offroad ownerships will be Brown in colour. Blue plated dirtbikes will have a green ownership like your current street bikes/cars. It will also have "fit" or "unfit" at the top just like your street bikes.

If it was once blue plated and the owner decided to switch it to offroad and get a green plate... you will be unable to change it BACK to blue plated. I have seen people advertising "it can be blue plated" but in the ad they clearly are sporting a green plate affixed to the number plate. Can't go back and forth at least thats what I was told at the service ontario.

Be skeptical of models newer than 2007 claiming blue plate. It IS possible, I have seen it but they may have had a friend at the MTO push it through.. or someone made an error. Dealers can sometimes pull strings I have heard its easier to do when the bike is brand new but they know they are in the wrong.. Have heard of plates being revoked on a new 2016 wr450f.

Someone else may chime in with their own experience, but I've done a decent bit of research on the topic when I tried to get my own bike blue plated a few years ago and then just got one that was done pre 07.

Thanks a lot for your help. I wasn't sure what a off road title looks like.

This bike indeed has a title that looks just like the regular car/motorcycle ones. It is currently "unplated" due to being registered by the previous owner without a safety on him at that time. I did this with a previous bike that was factory street legal, and the title said the exact same thing, "unplated" simply because I registered it without a safety because it needed work, same thing will apply here I believe. Just need to go to the service ontario place and present the safety and it will be given a plate again? It was never officially switched back to a green plate, well, as far as I know. All very confusing. The fact that it currently has a green looking title makes me think all will be okay. This would be a big hit to get burned by though thats why I'm being careful.

Think it would be fine to just go into the service ontario place and ask them straight up if I can put a plate on this title?

Last edited:
I have a 1996 RMX 250 with a Green plate ownership, it unplated as I have not decided what to do with it green or blue plate, would be fun around town for the odd blast.

I have a 1996 RMX 250 with a Green plate ownership, it unplated as I have not decided what to do with it green or blue plate, would be fun around town for the odd blast.

Well it is too late I believe, that law changed. Stuff that wasn't factory street legal and went through the blue plate conversion was grandfathered. I'm just trying to make sure mine actually was.

Last edited:
So it's looking like as long as the title is green in colour (street) its a plate-able bike in their system. Can't really find any other way to tell. Might stop by service ontario tomorrow to make sure.

No need. If the ownership is green, it's legit and legal. If it's brown, it's offroad only for life.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Don't worry about the unplated part. It is registered in their system as a street titled motorcycle. Bike sounds legit shouldn't be a problem for you

In my experience; step one to obtaining a plate for a bike that is currently not registered or registered as unfit is to obtain a mechanics certificate of fitness :/ good luck getting that if your bike is fitted with non DOT approved tires. Your bike needs to comply with all of the required items that make it a street legal motorcycle. Then you need somebody to insure it and for that the underwriter will want your VIN to show up on their system, that's the magic system that you and I have to live by but never actually get to see. From then on it's just the police that pulls you over that you have to satisfy that you are legal and compliant.

Back
Top Bottom