Purchasing out of the city | GTAMotorcycle.com

Purchasing out of the city

adrisen

Hi everyone,

I have nailed down my search and I am looking to purchase a Ducati 696. I have two that interest me in the Ottawa area. what the best way to purchase privately and knowing it is a good 4 hours away. I have the vin numbers to check service history and all that jazz but really whats the easiest way to do this. I guess I had planned to show up, hit a DMV to plate it and be off. Aside I have no idea of the ottawa and surrounding area. Is there anyone in the area of stitsville I could persuade to check them out for me. My last two vehicles came out of a dealership.

Thanks all for the advice

Hi everyone,

I have nailed down my search and I am looking to purchase a Ducati 696. I have two that interest me in the Ottawa area. what the best way to purchase privately and knowing it is a good 4 hours away. I have the vin numbers to check service history and all that jazz but really whats the easiest way to do this. I guess I had planned to show up, hit a DMV to plate it and be off. Aside I have no idea of the ottawa and surrounding area. Is there anyone in the area of stitsville I could persuade to check them out for me. My last two vehicles came out of a dealership.

Thanks all for the advice

The owner, or yourself should get a UVIP (I believe it's the sellers responsibility, but it's for your benefit and many sellers push it on to the buyer - $20).

For it to be plated, you need to have it registered as FIT (safety within 30 days), and have an insurance policy on the bike.

It may benefit you to trailer the bike back and have it done closer to home after transferring the title to your name.

Also, if you're going that far for a bike you're interested in, make sure it's in good running condition when you get there. The risk of buying far away is that once you get there, you feel committed to buy because you just committed 8 hours (round trip) just to see the bike.

Last edited:
You can't insure a vehicle you don't own. This will be the biggest hurdle, you may be able to get temp slips issued on the day you buy it if you work with the broker beforehand. In which case it would go: meet with owner, buy bike, get bill of sale -> provide copy of bill of sale to broker, get temp slip -> bring BoS, ownership, and insurance to MTO and receive plate -> ride off into sunset

Last edited:
The owner, or yourself should get a UVIP (I believe it's the sellers responsibility, but it's for your benefit and many sellers push it on to the buyer - $20).

For it to be plated, you need to have it registered as FIT (safety within 30 days), and have an insurance policy on the bike.

It may benefit you to trailer the bike back and have it done closer to home after transferring the title to your name.

The UVIP I will prob pick up before I head to Ottawa area. I don't have the option to trailer it back. I sold my last bike privately but never purchased. I don't have the issue bringing it back. I want to make it as easy as possible.

The fact that its so close to Quebec, make sure its at least registered in Ontario.

You can't insure a vehicle you don't own. This will be the biggest hurdle, you may be able to get temp slips issued on the day you buy it if you work with the broker beforehand. In which case it would go: meet with owner, buy bike, get bill of sale -> provide copy of bill of sale to broker, get temp slip -> bring BoS, ownership, and insurance to MTO and receive plate -> ride off into sunset

On my last vehicle purchase, I knew it was going through and the date it was happening so I provided details including VIN to insurance company one week before. It was on my policy on the day the sale closed. I don't think I'd do this prior to seeing an unknown vehicle though as cancelling insurance due to the sale collapsing may cost you something.

Interestingly, ServiceOntario never asked for confirmation of insurance, just the handwritten policy number and company on the ownership. I'm not sure if their computers are more interconnected, if the employee missed it or if they just don't care.

Last edited:
Download the USHIP app and start a one or two day auction. Towards the end of the auction, the shippers start competing and the quotes come down considerably. Should cost you around $300 - $350 to have it picked up and shipped to your front door with tracking along the way. Put in the notes that you want a mechanically inclined shipper with an eye for detail. Have him report to you at the scene.

Sent from my ZTE Axon using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
8 year old bike uncertified a long ways away ??? that's a pretty big gamble.

I bought my CBF from a Quebec cop certified and we went to the MTO together...

Seems odd none of these are certified

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-motorcycles/ottawa/696/ducati/k0c30l1700185a114

What are you seeing in Ottawa that is better than this

$_59.JPG

2009 Ducati monster 696, one of a kind corsa edition. I have had the bike for almost 3 years now, never gave me any issues. It has around 31k km on it. Fully synthetic oil used always with original Ducati oil filter. All the parts are included, even the seat cover which is stored currently. Extra features include Custom Leo Vinci black dual exhaust (after market value around 1200 cad), you gotta listen to the sound of it in person to do it justice. Smaller side mirrors Fender removal kit Pirelli sticky tires

I have attached a Youtube link for the bike sound, check it out. Come take a look at the bike and see for yourself. Send me your best offer and we can go from there.

and he's open for offers....hellishly easier than Ottawa unless I'm missing something ...and this is a wicked colour scheme.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/m...on/1352575145?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited:
I believe OP is asking for VINs to see if they are ducati certified(they keep track of their own bike service intervals?)

What are you seeing in Ottawa that is better than this

The one listed for $1 that has been sitting for 2 years and he just wants it out of the garage may be a good deal for someone. Not for the OP who plans on riding it home though. For the rest, I'm with you, I don't see a reason to make the trip to ottawa.

I did pretty much this over the last few days
bike was also in Ottawa

was able to get a liability binder from the broker with the seller's ownership
under the condition I would send the updated one within 48 hours

went to SO, got a temp reg for my plate
took a train to Ottawa, road the bike back today
goes for safety tomorrow

with a distance like that, pretty tough to do it all in one day
took me 2 trips to Ottawa, one to inspect, another one to go get it

You can't insure a vehicle you don't own....
Are you sure about this? I bought a bike a few weeks ago, I had to ride it 400km home. My insurer had no trouble insuring the bike before I transferred it into my name.

Yep, I got insurance on a bike I liked, even before buying it, got the vin, told broker to start policy on day X. Went to see the bike, it was clean, and checked out, he got it safetied, i took the bike, with the plates, insurance+ownership, transferred it and rode it home

Are you sure about this? I bought a bike a few weeks ago, I had to ride it 400km home. My insurer had no trouble insuring the bike before I transferred it into my name.

Ownership doesn't have to be in your name, but generally brokers will want to see something. I guess there's always a laissez-faire one out there

If you're set on the bike, and just need the condition verified, see if the seller can take it to a reputable shop/mechanic (of your choice) for a condition and safety inspection. Then you know it's good to go when you pick it up.

That's funny that you mentioned that one as I have been in touch with him. He has it listed at three places with different prices.

I am not thrilled to be heading to Stittsville, On. I will be checking this one out.

If I decide I am dead set on it, I will go by car and check it out. If its all good I will use that recommendation and see about trucking it back. I am checking out a corse edition this week here in the city.

I bought used from Ottawa. Spent about 2 weeks emailing and lots of pictures. Got the seller to take the bike to the OEM shop to get the safety before I went out there. I borrowed a pickup truck for the trip. Was worried about the long ride on a strange bike.
We went to his bank to deposit the bank draft I brought. And we also went to the MTO together to get the UVIP and license changed.
My existing insurance would have covered me if I wanted to ride it back.
It was a long day.

Given how many 696s there are about ...seems would need to be a smokin' deal to justify this

If I decide I am dead set on it, I will go by car and check it out. If its all good I will use that recommendation and see about trucking it back. I am checking out a corse edition this week here in the city.

I'd just sharpen your negotiation skills for nearby deals.

I believe OP is asking for VINs to see if they are ducati certified(they keep track of their own bike service intervals?)

I actually have asked for a vin. I received two from what I was looking at and was able to confirm that one had never been serviced by an authorized agency. I questioned that and told me the boyfriend is a mechanic and does all the work. It’s possible he he is qualified but I walked away.

Back
Top Bottom