Budget | GTAMotorcycle.com

Budget

Sure, but it remains vague and within a pretty broad range. Some countries are going to cost much, much more to be in than others, there's no way your daily average will be consistent. Also leaves out equipment costs

I think some of you have done some long term traveling so what do you think of this article. Realistic?

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-prepping/cost-to-travel-the-world/

Well they are based on real people on real trips so I would believe them. That being said, in north america, you will be spending much more on gas than most of those budgets spend for all expenses in a day.

I am normally well over $100 a day in fuel when on a bike trip. Add in $10 for breakfast and $30 for dinner and that is it for daily expenses. Larger expenses every week to month such as oil changes and tires add a decent amount to the daily spend.

@Lightcycle probably has the best GTAM knowledge of world-wide exploring costs.

Last edited:
In that article the author says he spent $15 a day on average including Europe.....if your tolerance level is high you might be able to do that, a bigger bike and that's not going to be doable with European fuel costs. It just depends on what you want to put up with I guess.

I used to budget $100 a day plus gas. Now I think double that but will likely have a surplus.

Buy your food at grocery stores instead of take outs. Bread and cold cuts / cheese / peanut butter for lunch. A typical McDonald's combo is about $10. If travelling with others you can often buy a cooked chicken for about eight bucks. A bag of prepped salad for a couple more and share.

Drink water not sodas and beer.

Camping in the USA is cheap to free, Camping in Canada isn't worth it IMO if you're only looking a the money angle. Lost setup and pack away time, Carrying extra stuff. A bed and shower is worth the extra.

I like to go on vacation where my Canadian peso goes quite far. If I was planning a big bike trip I'd pick the same locations. So Central America on this continent (Nicaragua is dirt cheap for a Canadian for example) and probably Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia otherwise (although I've not actually been there yet!). For what I paid camping in Canada I could get a comfy apartment/Casita to myself in Nicaragua easily.

I like to go on vacation where my Canadian peso goes quite far. If I was planning a big bike trip I'd pick the same locations. So Central America on this continent (Nicaragua is dirt cheap for a Canadian for example) and probably Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia otherwise (although I've not actually been there yet!). For what I paid camping in Canada I could get a comfy apartment/Casita to myself in Nicaragua easily.
Thailand is great! You'd be treated like a king.

jc100 is spot on, Nicaragua is dirt cheap, but riding through road blocks due to the impending revolution I could have done without, but it makes for a more interesting trip I guess.

Fuel is also probably much cheaper in the US, along with lodging and food(at least in the middle of nowhere, which is where riders like to be)

Thailand is great! You'd be treated like a king.
Bangkok; Oriental city...
I hear the chess is good there.

Someone said $100 per day, assuming not NA, is that accurate for all in?

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

@Evoex would know better about the exact costs. He recently did a trip there.

I went there as a kid, and my cousins go quite a bit. Super cheap place, and excellent food.

jc100 is spot on, Nicaragua is dirt cheap, but riding through road blocks due to the impending revolution I could have done without, but it makes for a more interesting trip I guess.

forgot about the tiny revolution/riots thing...ahhh well, adds a bit of local colour.

@Evoex would know better about the exact costs. He recently did a trip there.

I went there as a kid, and my cousins go quite a bit. Super cheap place, and excellent food.

It is very inexpensive, once you get there. How does flight travel cost factor in? I assume the rider from Greece traveling around Europe or Africa was easy because he could do it by land from his home country. How could we in North America. Even for us to get to South America wouldn't be inexpensive due to crossing from Central to South America.

LOL. I feel that some of those guys are leaving some details out of their budgets. Like raiding the roadside pineapple and coconut trees, or frying up roadkill. That guy with the 250, well I just have to wonder. His advice on eating where the locals eat is pretty good, but you better make sure you have all your shots, some Imodium and some Pepto Bismol.

Was there last fall, $100 a day will get you far in Bangkok if you stay away from the tourist spots. Memory is a bit fuzzy as I wasn't focusing on price but I think I'm somewhere in the ballpark.

Decent budget hotel, $30 (Thanabhumi). Nice/cheap 4 star, $70 (Clover Asoke). Personal examples
Local food, $2-5/meal
Beer is about $2-3
Taxi's are cheap, Tuktuk's are a bit more expensive. I think it cost $30 to go from the Clover Asoke to BKK, distance of 33km's
Flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai was under $100 each way, that's booking last minute, one way each time
Splurged on a Triumph Bonneville for a day in Chiang Mai, cost me $30, I think that was the most expensive bike they had. Tony's Big Bikes

The luxury tourist stuff costs the same North American prices, for example foofoo mix drink at Sky Bar was $30.

I also think they're not accounting for everything
just adding up the gas, and oil changes and tires is not enough
depreciation on the bike and crash repairs need to be factored

It is very inexpensive, once you get there. How does flight travel cost factor in? I assume the rider from Greece traveling around Europe or Africa was easy because he could do it by land from his home country. How could we in North America. Even for us to get to South America wouldn't be inexpensive due to crossing from Central to South America.

Read Lightcycle's blog....that will give your some ideas of prices to get hither and yon. Pretty sure there is a relatively low cost ferry to bridge Darien's gap.

I was figuring $150 a day on the now cancelled trip to BC via the US route and more coming back through Canada. Daily costs in BC would be less as $30 night AirBnb, cooking facilities for two weeks including fresh eggs from her chickens and just day tripping from home base would keep costs well down.

Gas in Canada is getting up there again. I recall in Australia being shocked when a single day trip on the ST cost me $45 in fuel :rolleyes:

I don't camp but I understand campground costs are getting much steeper.

Last edited:
That ferry to get past the Darien didn’t strike me as a bargain but there’s not that much competition. I wonder just how impenetrable the Darien gap is? I’ve been down near that way from both sides of the gap and the terrain is pretty gnarly. One of the traditional reasons in taking a ferry and not even attempting a land crossing was because of narco terrorists in the area but that situation is slowly changing.

I did a 10 day budget ride 3 years ago, 4300KM around Superior. I costed the trip as I went, my average cost was $94 CAD/day. Here are my daily averages:

Accommodation: $19.61/day -- Camping in State/Provincial/Municipal parks 9 days, Budget Motel 1 night. Campground fees split with fellow rider.
Food: $28.90 -- Breakfast Lunch & Dinner: Camp breakfasts, Restaurants/Diners for lunch & Dinner (except 2 camp cooked dinners).
Fuel: $19.84/day -- (fuel price $1/l, today that cost would be closer to $30/day)
Tolls: $1.60
Misc: $9 -- ferry, a couple of sightseeing fees
Bike Maintenance: $22.65/day (I use a factor of .053/km to cover LOF (.01/km), tires (.027/km), repair/service (0.016/km))

I did not include the booze and other spending.

The only way I can see shaving this budget is to find rough country camp sites, which isn't always easy when you don't know the territory.

In that article the author says he spent $15 a day on average including Europe.....if your tolerance level is high you might be able to do that, a bigger bike and that's not going to be doable with European fuel costs. It just depends on what you want to put up with I guess.
$15/day wouldn't include much travelling -- rolling 75km on a Honda250 would cost $7.50 in fuel & maintenance. That leaves $7.50/day for food, shelter, clothing and everything else.

Back
Top Bottom