home theatre question | GTAMotorcycle.com

home theatre question

wonderings

[FONT=&quot]I am thinking of making a change to my home theatre setup. Currently I have a denon receiver, 2 polk tower speakers for left and right as well as 2 polk rear surround sound speakers and a klipsch centre speaker all connected to a Samsung QLED 55” 4k tv. All sounds good but takes up space. I moved into a new house a few months back and while bigger my media room is a bit smaller and would like to clean things up.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have a few devices, I have an Apple TV, PS4 and a Nintendo Switch. They all run into the Denon receiver and through the receiver to the TV via HDMI. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I was thinking of replacing my speakers with this:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10585801.aspx?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not sure exactly how the setup works with a sound bar, do I still run everything through the receiver and have the sound go out from the receiver into the sound bar while the video goes to the TV or is the sound bar supposed to replace the need for the receiver altogether?[/FONT]

Link was broken, I assume you mean this:

LG SJ9 500-Watt 5.1.2 Channel Atmos Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...nd-bar-with-wireless-subwoofer/10585801.aspx?

Normal soundbar setup uses no receiver but only accommodates a very limited number of inputs. Apparently, the one you are looking at has a single HDMI in. You have a few choices to deal with all your devices. You can use the existing receiver for input swapping (terrible power and space efficiency but easy), you can use the TV for input swapping with ARC or optical cable to get sound to the sound bar (could get messy as all input cables need to get to TV), you could cable swap to change devices (ugh, but most people use one device and only occasionally switch) or you could buy an HDMI switch. Alternatively you could buy a soundbar that accommodates 3 source inputs.

Make sure you listen before you buy. The sub on the SJ9 is only 6.5" and may be underwhelming if you are expecting a theatre experience.

Last edited:
Link was broken, I assume you mean this:

LG SJ9 500-Watt 5.1.2 Channel Atmos Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...nd-bar-with-wireless-subwoofer/10585801.aspx?

Normal soundbar setup uses no receiver but only accommodates a very limited number of inputs. Apparently, the one you are looking at has a single HDMI in. You have a few choices to deal with all your devices. You can use the existing receiver for input swapping (terrible power and space efficiency but easy), you can use the TV for input swapping with ARC or optical cable to get sound to the sound bar (could get messy as all input cables need to get to TV), you could cable swap to change devices (ugh, but most people use one device and only occasionally switch) or you could buy an HDMI switch. Alternatively you could buy a soundbar that accommodates 3 source inputs.

Make sure you listen before you buy. The sub on the SJ9 is only 6.5" and may be underwhelming if you are expecting a theatre experience.

My TV does have a single connected that goes to a little box that has 4 (I think) HDMI plugins. So I am guessing I run all my devices into that and then run sound out of the TV to the sound bar.

I will definitely listen before I buy, I am not super critical and used to not even using my sub for years as I lived in a condo and neighbours could hear/feel the vibration way to easily so always had it turned off.

Not sure what happened with my link but yes it is the LG Atmos. Not sold on it, it was just the cheapest one I saw. I have a powered sub and if I could use that with a sound bar that would be great as well, but looks like (from my limited searches) that there is no real savings for just a sound bar. Not even sure if they would support a powered sub.

My TV does have a single connected that goes to a little box that has 4 (I think) HDMI plugins. So I am guessing I run all my devices into that and then run sound out of the TV to the sound bar.

I will definitely listen before I buy, I am not super critical and used to not even using my sub for years as I lived in a condo and neighbours could hear/feel the vibration way to easily so always had it turned off.

Not sure what happened with my link but yes it is the LG Atmos. Not sold on it, it was just the cheapest one I saw. I have a powered sub and if I could use that with a sound bar that would be great as well, but looks like (from my limited searches) that there is no real savings for just a sound bar. Not even sure if they would support a powered sub.

I have a sound bar with a powered sub and wireless rear speakers that works pretty well in a small room. Not sure I’d use it in a big room but I’m very happy with it. The Atmos stuff uses jiggery pokery to reflect sound off ceilings I think so those should be better than the one I have.

Back
Top Bottom