Just did my first oil change - nothing blew up (or better yet siezed)! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just did my first oil change - nothing blew up (or better yet siezed)!

sburns

Hey gang

Just sharing some sense of accomplishment.
I did the oil change in my bike myself. First time I have done that in any vehicle. Pretty easy actually.
And I am still within my first year of riding =)

Everything seems ok, did a quick run afterwards with a bit of everything. Main road, side roads, and the highway.
Nothing weird happened. :D:D

Are oil changes even worth doing yourself anymore?

My mechanic does a full synthetic oil change for my bike and car for $40 and $60 respectively. He is a family friend though.

My mechanic does a full synthetic oil change for my bike and car for $40 and $60 respectively. He is a family friend though.

For everyone that isn't mooching off a mechanic friend, yes. And I question his bike oil changes, on a really good day you might be able to buy motorcycle synthetic for $60

For everyone that isn't mooching off a mechanic friend, yes. And I question his bike oil changes, on a really good day you might be able to buy motorcycle synthetic for $60

I watch him pour mobil 1 oil into my bike, and watch the 7L of synthetic go into my benz. Mooching off? Sounds like you're upset

Last edited:
Hey gang

Just sharing some sense of accomplishment.
I did the oil change in my bike myself. First time I have done that in any vehicle. Pretty easy actually.
And I am still within my first year of riding =)

Everything seems ok, did a quick run afterwards with a bit of everything. Main road, side roads, and the highway.
Nothing weird happened. :D:D

Good job @sburns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you do all three oils, or just the engine?

Just the engine oil. They all were done back in January at the Harley dealership. I am sure I will get to them soon enough.

Last edited:
When some shops are charging $100/hr just for labour the value of investing in some basic tools and doing stuff like this yourself becomes pretty clear. Good work @sburns.

LOL - I think you answered your own question. As the other guy stated. For those without a family friend mechanic it IS worth doing yourself, because you avoid labour costs.

LOL - I think you answered your own question. As the other guy stated. For those without a family friend mechanic it IS worth doing yourself, because you avoid labour costs.

And save time to have fun riding. Doing it yourself should take much less than 30 minutes. Riding to the mechanic, waiting for the work to be done and then riding home takes much longer.

You don’t mention mileage... I usually adjust the clutch at the same time as the oil change - 8,000km intervals... Has to be done cold. Problems finding neutral at a stop would be a key indicator that this is needful.

You don’t mention mileage... I usually adjust the clutch at the same time as the oil change - 8,000km intervals... Has to be done cold. Problems finding neutral at a stop would be a key indicator that this is needful.

hmm interesting.

HD dealer did the 30,000 (miles) maintenance dumping all 3 oils. I just did the engine oil at 35,000

I was under the impression finding neutral was tricky with a six speed and kinda normal. Curious to know what it takes to adjust the clutch?

Sent from the moon!

^^ This

oil changes at home on cars is a waste of time and money. messy too, then you have to bother with clean up and disposal.

no need to have a "friend" most car dealers are very competitive for full synthetics. my Honda dealer offers full synthetic oil changes for $59 using a factory oil filter. Cant beat that.

In and out service, and should any warranty issues arrive, i know Im covered. Oh yah, and I get a free cappuccino in the lounge to boot!

https://ontariohondaservice.com/oilchange/

good job man

Do you have a lift or nah?

Makes it really easy to do work yourself

good job SB

I do my own on the bike as well
I know I'm going to be more meticulous than a shop
and the 5 L jug holds more than I need
so I run a little extra through the engine
and you'd be amazed at how much dirt it drags out

for the cage, F that, I go to the Pennzoil speedy lube

Last time I checked it was around $120 for an oil change on the bike. That was enough motivation for me to start doing them myself.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Good work SB. I always get a little chuckle when I see a post for things like first time changing oil, I've been doing it since I was a kid so I often forget that a lot of people don't. It's rewarding working on your own bike.

... Curious to know what it takes to adjust the clutch?

Here's a good video on clutch adjustment for big twins: https://youtu.be/4p_vjd0GtCk

In a nutshell - back off the cable adjuster, open the derby cover to expose the side of the clutch, loosen the lock-nut, turn the adjuster in until it touches then back out. They say out 1/2 to a full turn. Needs to be done cold.

I like it best at 1/2 turn out - depends if you like the clutch engagement closer or further away from the grip.

You could probably get away with re-using the derby cover o-ring - but the oil-change o-ring kit comes with one as well as the drain plug o-rings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom