Just did my first oil change - nothing blew up (or better yet siezed)! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just did my first oil change - nothing blew up (or better yet siezed)!

Cars...not even worth it to jack it up and crawl under that thing. Cost of oil is cheaper to pay a local shop while I'm in the LCBO and grocery store shopping around.

I use car ramps. Much more convenient.

Drive up, chock the rears. Drain oil into the pan. Replace filter. Put in new oil. Old oil goes into the new jug. Drop it off at CT.

I'm another who changes both oils at the same time. I use dino oil in the engine and synthetic in the trans. I also use a Scavenger on my Blockhead to flush the remaining old oil out of the engine.

Another Scavenger user here... On my twinkie 103B. The Softail has a dry sump/oil tank - so a lot of dirty oil comes out.

A 5L jug of synthetic oil often goes on sale at canadian tire for $30. Another $10 for the filter and that's still a lot cheaper than taking it to the dealer, plus you know it's done right.

I'd rather spend the extra $19 and ogle some new cars at the dealer, while sipping a cappucino from the customer lounge as opposed to climbing under my car and dealing with the mess.

if my dealer doesn't know how to perform a simple oil change "right", then they got bigger problems.

I'd rather spend the extra $19 and ogle some new cars at the dealer, while sipping a cappucino from the customer lounge as opposed to climbing under my car and dealing with the mess.

if my dealer doesn't know how to perform a simple oil change "right", then they got bigger problems.

I think most here agree with you, let someone else do the car

I figure you need to have a better understanding of the condition of your bike
starting to do your own basic maintenance you're gonna see things that need done
and have a better overall understanding of what is what

also wondering about the member that gets a synth oil change for $40
how is that possible? that won't buy the oil & filter

I let the dealer do my cars/trucks, as Sunny said, i get a coffee and a newspaper and did so many when young there is no need to feel handy.

My bikes I do , because i enjoy that process and usually do some shining up while its on the stand. I can't do my road bike for $40 with synth and a filter.

Good for you brother!

I remember when many years ago i did my first oil change (also my first year) and like you, posted it here in GTAM all feeling accomplished, there were a few unamused members who came back with a less then encouraging "cool story bro" type replies! lol

I see the attitudes and feedbacks are much more positive these days here in GTAM which is great!

You'll slowly do more and more work on your own bike as you get more confident!

Keep it up buddy! :)

Good for you brother!

I remember when many years ago i did my first oil change (also my first year) and like you, posted it here in GTAM all feeling accomplished, there were a few unamused members who came back with a less then encouraging "cool story bro" type replies! lol

I see the attitudes and feedbacks are much more positive these days here in GTAM which is great!

You'll slowly do more and more work on your own bike as you get more confident!

Its a miracle what an effective mod can do

@sburns

There are couple of HD forums that have lots of information and videos that are helpful for the DIY.

Like anything on the interest, some folks express their opinions as fact but, you can read between the lines and make your own conclusions.

I’ve changed the rocker gaskets on my HD after some discussion with others and reading some feedback from others. What was the best replacement gaskets, head aches to avoid etc.

Did the job in the drive way and knock on wood, still looks good today.

If I went to the local dealer, $105 per hour and pretty sure they would look to do more than just the rocker gaskets and end up with a bill of $500 or more.

To me that is a lot of money put to better use.

You can order HD filters on line or go after market. And I would change the filter at the same time as the oil.

Some skip it every other change.

It’s air cooled. Summers are hot. Small thing to prevent costly repairs down the road. But I haven’t heard of any motors blowing up because a filter wasn’t changed one time during a regular interval.

Cheers!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use car ramps. Much more convenient.

Drive up, chock the rears. Drain oil into the pan. Replace filter. Put in new oil. Old oil goes into the new jug. Drop it off at CT.

Yes, at a cost of the ramp plus having to store them. I rarely ever work on my car. Bikes are fun to strip down and put back together.

Far more convenient to leave it at a quick lube place while I buy beer.

Car oil changes cost the same to pay someone to do it VS buying all the stuff and doing it myself, was the main point.

....there were a few unamused members who came back with a less then encouraging "cool story bro" type replies! lol

Cool story bro :agave:

Car oil changes cost the same to pay someone to do it VS buying all the stuff and doing it myself, was the main point.

Well, yes and no. Over the long-term of doing it yourself things like a jack and stands or ramps pay for themselves, especially if you're gonna use them across multiple vehicles or use them to do other maintainence - not just oil changes. You can NEVER get around paying someone labour vs. doing it yourself for free (so to speak). So it boils down to whether you want to do your own oil change or not. On my SanteFe, I don't even need to jack it up and the filter is on the top of the engine. Very easy.

Well, yes and no. Over the long-term of doing it yourself things like a jack and stands or ramps pay for themselves, especially if you're gonna use them across multiple vehicles or use them to do other maintainence - not just oil changes. You can NEVER get around paying someone labour vs. doing it yourself for free (so to speak). So it boils down to whether you want to do your own oil change or not. On my SanteFe, I don't even need to jack it up and the filter is on the top of the engine. Very easy.

I'd rather spend the money on specialty tools for the motorbike...like fork oil level filler, bearing drive, chain alignment tool, spoke torque wrench etc.

No use for car jacks. No time to fix car headaches.

Are oil changes even worth doing yourself anymore?

My mechanic does a full synthetic oil change for my bike and car for $40 and $60 respectively. He is a family friend though.
Lol.. How about you get a real world quote for an oil change.. Then you'll see what a deal you are getting.
It's easily $100+ at a regular motorcycle garage. The car places like oil chnagers etc who specialize in that may be close to your price

I'd rather spend the money on specialty tools for the motorbike...like fork oil level filler, bearing drive, chain alignment tool, spoke torque wrench etc.

No use for car jacks. No time to fix car headaches.

Exactly. You're actually shooting yourself in the foot with any money-for-value argument with talking about 'speciality tools' too. lol. You don't have an interest to deal with the car, but do with the bike - so you'll spend money on the bike. You'd also agree that the money spent on the bike's tools is far less economical than the car too, because you're return on use is way less with a bike in general. More than likely you're just like the vast majority that drive a car way more than a motorbike throughout the year. Just doesn't matter, cause you like to work on bike - and not car, so money ain't the issue.

Back
Top Bottom