Insurance Gap | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance Gap

chinoxii

Currently riding Ninja300, I have a buyer for my bike and possibly looking to upgrade to 600CC supersport (Most likely CBR600RR). I was playing with Dalton online quote but won't let me get quote unless I am 30 y/o and my M2 license is at least 1year. If I put my age as if I am 30, I would be paying $95/month for just liability which is very decent price. I am turning 30 this coming December and my M2 will be 1yr in July.

I would not mind taking a time off this season and wait until I turn 30 to insure/buy new bike, but if I sold my bike say this week, I would have about 6 month gap in my insurance coverage. Am I going to get screwed?

$95/month on CBR600RR?? I don't believe it for a second.

Speak to someone in person and lock in the quote before making this move imo.

A ninja 300 is probably the easiest bike to sell in Canada if priced right. I would keep your current bike until you actually turn 30 and get a price from an real person. In my experience, online quote systems are so far off that a random number generator is probably just as effective at determining potential insurance rates.

I am with Evoex, $95/mo seems very low assuming you are somewhere near the GTA.

Last edited:
I agree, seems very cheap for a supersport but my friend who is the same age as me is paying less through allstate but he has his auto insurance with them as well. I could not get into allstate due to previous 50/50 at fault auto claim 4 years ago though.
My next option is to get Ninja 650 which I would be paying $135/month, $45 more than what I pay for my Ninja 300

I agree, seems very cheap for a supersport but my friend who is the same age as me is paying less through allstate but he has his auto insurance with them as well. I could not get into allstate due to previous 50/50 at fault auto claim 4 years ago though.
My next option is to get Ninja 650 which I would be paying $135/month, $45 more than what I pay for my Ninja 300

If you want to keep up with the big boys perhaps look at fz07/fz09. Same (better imo due to torque tuned engines) performance and will be way cheaper on insurance.

How long have you been riding? Short time, then keep the bike and keep riding....thus keeping the ins. continuous....and keeping/improving your skills.

Currently riding Ninja300, I have a buyer for my bike and possibly looking to upgrade to 600CC supersport (Most likely CBR600RR). I was playing with Dalton online quote but won't let me get quote unless I am 30 y/o and my M2 license is at least 1year. If I put my age as if I am 30, I would be paying $95/month for just liability which is very decent price. I am turning 30 this coming December and my M2 will be 1yr in July.

I would not mind taking a time off this season and wait until I turn 30 to insure/buy new bike, but if I sold my bike say this week, I would have about 6 month gap in my insurance coverage. Am I going to get screwed?

Something isn't really adding up.

The CBR600RR would cost you $95/mo if you waited until you're 30.
The Ninja 650 would cost you $135/mo BUT is $45 more than what you're currently paying for your Ninja 300.
You're currently paying $90/mo for your Ninja 300?

I doubt the CBR600RR would cost less than the Ninja 650 as well as only $5/mo more than your Ninja 300.

Is the quote for the Ninja 650 a "If you were 30" quote, or current?

Call insurance brokers/agents to get a definitive number. They can and most likely will give you hypothetical quotes "if you were 30".

Dalton Timmis' online quote estimator is broken when it comes to SS. I was getting unbelievable quotes too, till I called in. Turned out they couldn't even insure me, forget about quotes.

Similar problem with TD, and Mitchel Whale.

Lesson here is always call with a VIN, and force your broker to confirm with the underwriter. They can provide all the quotes they want, but underwriter has the final say and can reject anything they don't like.

Last edited:
Dalton Timmis' online quote estimator is broken when it comes to SS. I was getting unbelievable quotes too, till I called in. Turned out they couldn't even insure me, forget about quotes.

Similar problem with TD, and Mitchel Whale.

Lesson here is always call with a VIN, and force your broker to confirm with the underwriter. They can provide all the quotes they want, but underwriter has the final say and can reject anything they don't like.

+1

Based on my experience searching for insurance on my 750 and speaking with Ronn Calderon at Dalton directly, there's no way they will give you a reasonable quote (let alone insure you) as a new rider on an SS. Online quote systems 9/10 are drastically incorrect. TD probably has the best/most accurate online quote system to ACTUAL quote balance I've seen; which is surprising.

Your best bet in my experience is Allstate if you can bundle home+auto, ONCE you hit 30 (check with Matthew Camacho). TD might also be one of the cheaper places, however their service is probably some of the worst out there to deal with, it's a call center, if you can stay FAR way.

Yes, current rate for 650 and 300

I am done with SS for now, lol even TD online quote is giving me a decent number for SS bikes, $1900 a year but when I called, I was told it's $3300.

LOL damnit!! Always keeping my hopes up. Any other company I should try before I buy the 650??

I am done with SS for now, lol even TD online quote is giving me a decent number for SS bikes, $1900 a year but when I called, I was told it's $3300.

LOL damnit!! Always keeping my hopes up. Any other company I should try before I buy the 650??
Allstate if you can bundle house and car.

I had the same experience with TD.

Edit: not having M may not work with allstate

Last edited:
Was with Dalton Timmis last season and when I sold my bike I cancelled insurance in March 2018. Come May I want a bike again and my rates shot up $200-300/year for no reason.

Called TD MELOCHE and the identical bikes with same coverage are almost half the price. I asked them about the gap in insurance and they told me they don’t care.

2010 Shadow RS ... DT @ 1382/year and TD @ 750/year.

No one is going to give you a break on the SS heh.

:cool: Now you have the bike you want and all the insurance you hope you never need.

Update: I now own a 2011 CBR600RR and paying $1275/yr with TD.

30y/o and 2yrs license are the magic number.
I thought you were done with SS? lol

Still seems too good to be true given your low experience. What broker/underwriter? I'm sure many would like to know.

All i want the insurance for is the legality, not looking forward needing it :)

Ain't that the truth! none of us are actually buying the big buck coverage to actually use it, it's just the price of admission.

Back
Top Bottom