Sport Bike Riders Oddly Missing | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sport Bike Riders Oddly Missing

... It’s also good to have a destination (usually with a BBQ) rather than going round and round.

I'd rather for that destination to be a waterfall, a cave or a mountain than a BBQ.

Personally, if I wish to socialize, I don't need the bike.

... But this is not just limited to cruisers. A lot of sport bike riders use their vehicles as a social venue as well. L&L is a perfect example. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that either. Not for me though.

As for those large, charity group rides, the problem is that most sport bike riders feel castrated by the pace, especially in the twisties (if there are any twisties).

Last edited:
^ maybe I'm wrong DP
but I think JC was referring to the BBQ as a device ?
not a social gathering

I like to find places to stay when riding that have a guest BBQ
grab a steak, some mushrooms, maybe a pepper on the way into town
and a cold beer or two to sip while cooking, great way to end a ride day

I just mean a ride based around an outcome is good. I’ll sometime ride to Almonte from Kingston for a coffee for instance.

Did another charity ride for a wildlife rescue today....the ride wasn’t amazing, and my poker hand was crap, but the people watching was fabulous. A bunch of the outlaws motorcycle gang turned up and the cops pulled over a couple of riders about 5 mins after setting off. I think I have a video somewhere even. Afterwards I had a boot about Prince Edward county and back home to Kingston via the ferry. All in all an excellent day.

Did another charity ride for a wildlife rescue today....

Me too; rescued a turtle in the middle of a busy road, returning him to what I hope was a safer, cooler place with ample cover and vegetation.

He's probably ****** at me :)

Me too; rescued a turtle in the middle of a busy road, returning him to what I hope was a safer, cooler place with ample cover and vegetation.

He's probably ****** at me :)
what kind of turtle was it?

what kind of turtle was it?

That's a good question. Wish I had taken a pic of him. Looking at pics online it's possible he was an eastern painted turtle. He wasn't very large (I could hold his shell in one hand.)

That's a good question. Wish I had taken a pic of him. Looking at pics online it's possible he was an eastern painted turtle. He wasn't very large (I could hold his shell in one hand.)

Off topic; Noticed you`re parting ways with the bike. Replacement coming or only Tuono love from now on?

Off topic; Noticed you`re parting ways with the bike. Replacement coming or only Tuono love from now on?

I really like the Fazer but can't justify having two when I ride the T almost exclusively. Having said that, I like it enough to not "give" it away; if it doesn't sell I'll gladly keep it for more relaxed countryside rides and commutes to keep the KMs on the T down.

I really like the Fazer but can't justify having two when I ride the T almost exclusively. Having said that, I like it enough to not "give" it away; if it doesn't sell I'll gladly keep it for more relaxed countryside rides and commutes to keep the KMs on the T down.

Rgr!

Many riders want SS bikes but insurance quickly puts an end to that in this province.

Last edited:
The insurance argument doesn't hold water when you realize that the decline in pure-sportbike sales is worldwide.

There's the "too focused on track riding" argument. They're not comfortable for daily riding, they make power way high in the rev range outside the normal daily-riding operating range, they overheat in traffic.

There's the "I don't need this" factor. Do you really need 200 hp in a street bike in a world of low speed limits (North America, Australia) and speed cameras everywhere (western Europe, Australia)?

There's the "why should I bother buying a new one" argument. The 600cc class in particular became optimized to the extent that all four major brands are within millimeters in all key dimensions, and successor generations (e.g. new R6) are the same under the skin (already optimized) and differ only in styling (which doesn't really break new ground) and electronics.

I have nothing but sport bikes in my garage. One of them is a 2004 ZX10R which does what I want it to do and works well enough. The new ones make more power that I can't use and are less comfortable. Why change it?

I did buy a new bike a couple years ago ... because they came up with something that broke outside the mold ...

The insurance argument doesn't hold water when you realize that the decline in pure-sportbike sales is worldwide.

There's the "too focused on track riding" argument. They're not comfortable for daily riding, they make power way high in the rev range outside the normal daily-riding operating range, they overheat in traffic.

There's the "I don't need this" factor. Do you really need 200 hp in a street bike in a world of low speed limits (North America, Australia) and speed cameras everywhere (western Europe, Australia)?

There's the "why should I bother buying a new one" argument. The 600cc class in particular became optimized to the extent that all four major brands are within millimeters in all key dimensions, and successor generations (e.g. new R6) are the same under the skin (already optimized) and differ only in styling (which doesn't really break new ground) and electronics.

I have nothing but sport bikes in my garage. One of them is a 2004 ZX10R which does what I want it to do and works well enough. The new ones make more power that I can't use and are less comfortable. Why change it?

I did buy a new bike a couple years ago ... because they came up with something that broke outside the mold ...

I get what you're saying but many don't daily bikes. I'd rather have a SS for the few times I do go out for a ride, just like people don't need a supercar/sportscar to daily (granted they're more comfortable) and many don't daily them but use them as sunday cars. The low speed limit argument doesn't matter, because whether you have 200 hp or 100 hp you can easily break them all. Even the 75 HP MT-07 will easily break the limits in Ontario so what's the point of owning that bike then? Also not everyone wants 200 hp, some just want a 120 hp 600. Is that really any worse then something like an MT 09 at 115 hp? The insurance argument does hold water because while the sales are decreasing worldwide, it's still no where near as bad as it is in Ontario where they have basically become non existent. It's clear if insurance wasn't so bad especially to newer riders there would be more SS and more bikes in general out here.

Last edited:
IMHO you would be better off buying a naked non "SS" or "RR" and doing some modding.
For example, I have a FZ1 that gives most similar year SS or RR bikes a run for their money but I do not pay the ridiculous insurance rates that most do.
Take a de-tuned sport tourer engine and put the SS or RR back into her.
Simple enough to do...flash ECU, re-map fuel/air, pipes and headers, open the air box and a few others...voila!
That being said, I also have a KTM 690 Enduro for other duties.

I get what you're saying but many don't daily bikes. I'd rather have a SS for the few times I do go out for a ride, just like people don't need a supercar/sportscar to daily (granted they're more comfortable) and many don't daily them but use them as sunday cars. The low speed limit argument doesn't matter, because whether you have 200 hp or 100 hp you can easily break them all. Even the 75 HP MT-07 will easily break the limits in Ontario so what's the point of owning that bike then? Also not everyone wants 200 hp, some just want a 120 hp 600. Is that really any worse then something like an MT 09 at 115 hp? The insurance argument does hold water because while the sales are decreasing worldwide, it's still no where near as bad as it is in Ontario where they have basically become non existent. It's clear if insurance wasn't so bad especially to newer riders there would be more SS and more bikes in general out here.

Non existent? Have you been to a meetup lately? I'll bet my next paycheque SS outnumber everything.

I was there on my sv650s

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

These "ride for XX" are primarily organized charity/social events and I'm betting that 90 - 95% of the bikes there are cruiser types. The one I went to a while back had about 200+ bikes and I was one of two sport touring bikes. The registration process took forever, suiting up and lining up for the parade took 45 minutes, then the ride was 50km and then lunch at an overwhelmed BBQ place. My typical ride from a starting point around Lakefield north of Peterborough is a minimum 3 - 4 hours or 250 - 350 km so these events have absolutely no appeal for me. I have little enough time to ride now and I'm not going to waste a nice day to spend 4 hours on a 50km run.

I know I'm seeing fewer SS bikes on the roads in the last few years. Many are switching to ST's, ADV's and naked bikes. The cruiser bike culture is deeply rooted in riding clubs and group events which is a big reason why you see so many at rides like this. They often plan for their group to attend months in advance. The nature of a parade ride (sticking near the posted speed limits, riding in formation and no passing) aren't your average SS rider's cup of tea. The added weight/pressure on the wrists alone on an SS bike in this type of ride is enough to deter many.

I will be attending the Ride for Sight this weekend and will be in the parade on the Saturday. It is something I have enjoyed every year since I was 16yrs old. The Ride for Sight is the only ride of this type I do as I am not a huge parade fan, but the Ride for Sight is different compared to other rides. Other rides like the Bad Ride or Ride for Dad you show up, get in line, go for a parade ride, stop, eat a burger, listen to a bar band maybe, buy the shirt and go home in time for supper. Ride for Sight is 3 days of fun! You camp out so you can get a little silly, enjoy a beverage, do a burnout, ride around with no helmet on etc. There are bands playing both nights and there is a bar area and bike games. A demo ride from Honda this year as well as other things going on. It is a full-on bike rally while the others are merely day trips.

Sportbike guys don't generally participate in these sorts of rides as it's a foregone conclusion it's gonna be 99% cruisers...and many in the sport circles don't mesh well with that crowd, or they feel isolated because they're the only ones there in sportbike gear while 80% of the rest of the riders are not.

I understand their reasoning. It's the same reason cruiser guys don't generally show up en masse to sportbike G2G's or shenanigan rides like the stupid ride of the 6 - how many cruisers did you see in those photos?

Anyhow, I don't participate because despite doing a LOT of group riding with friends, I don't like group riding with strangers - had a bad experience with that back in the early 90's and have no interest in doing it again. Wasn't that many years back there was actually a wreck on the 401 with the Highway of Heroes ride, for the matter. Too many ego's, and too many riders lacking the experience to be in a big group to begin with - the Hortons Choice riders for example who think a 50KM day and 1000KM/year (never going further than their nearest Timmies) makes them a "hard core" rider.

I actually get along with quite a few cruiser types. The conversation usually starts by someone asking me how the heck you get on such a tall bike etc and goes from there. Bike nuts are bike nuts and want to chat about bikes.....poseurs are a bit different. Those I don’t really chat to a lot as I don’t have tattoos to discuss or a penchant for leather and patches.

Back
Top Bottom