Purchasing a new motorcycle | GTAMotorcycle.com

Purchasing a new motorcycle

amitd7

Hey guys,

I was looking for some insight from some professionals, this is my first time purchasing a used vehicle and its my first vehicle.

I am getting a 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R 3800 km for $1200, apparently the only thing it needs is "new tires" and I've searched alone and got some 110/70-17 and 130/70-17's for about $150, where do I get these installed?

And what do I need for the purchase?

Bill of sale (and pay taxes) ownership, safety, and insurance ? and does the seller have to be present to transfer the ownership?

Please let me know guys, thank you so much I await your responses!

UPDATE: BIKE WAS REPORTED STOLEN

Last edited:
Bill of sale, Ownership, Insurance, Safety. UVIP.(20$)

What tires did you get?

Uvip = used vehicle information package.

Sellers should provide it but if he didnt, you can go get one at an MTO for 20$ with the vin number

Kenda K671 Cruiser Tire

What is UVIP? is the $20 for UVIP?

Used Vehicle Information Package. Will show previous owners and if there are any liens on the bike.
3800km or 38,000km? for $1200, if it's actually 3800 it'll still have the original OEM tires on there (road winners, I think?) and have lots of tread left. BUT you should still change them because of the age. They will be hard and no good.

If it's not the OEM tires, then something is really fishy about the odometer if it's showing 3800km.
But for $1200, if everything else is good, it's still a deal.

Kenda K671 Cruiser Tire

What is UVIP? is the $20 for UVIP?

Also...don't put those Kendas on your bike. If you spend any money on anything, get a good set of tires.
The Bridgestone S20 Evo are a great all-round tire and even useable on the track.

If you're on a budget, the Shinko is a way better option than a cruiser tire from Kenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHnmukUJ7aQ

You might have to get a 140/70/17 rear to get most of the tires on the video. I've used up to a 150/60/17 on my Ninja 250 track bike....not ideal but works.
140 is totally fine on the Ninja 250 rear rim.

Most bike shops will mount the tires for you if you buy them elsewhere but it'll cost you more. And more again if they have to take your wheels off.
Best to just buy the tires from a shop that will mount them for you. They make money from the tire sale so it brings down the cost of installation.

For mounting, try Rosy Toes or Good Wheels. +1 on getting half decent tires.

Seems like a steal if the mileage is 3800, still not bad if 38k. ....BUT +1 if it needs new tires due to wear at 3800.

Being your first purchase...have you test ridden it or had someone do it? Might show faults, not noticeable without riding.

Hey guys,

I was looking for some insight from some professionals, this is my first time purchasing a used vehicle and its my first vehicle.

I am getting a 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R 3800 km for $1200, apparently the only thing it needs is "new tires" and I've searched alone and got some 110/70-17 and 130/70-17's for about $150, where do I get these installed?

Bill of sale (and pay taxes) ownership, safety, and insurance ? and does the seller have to be present to transfer the ownership?

A couple of things seem strange to me. 1) the price - $1200 is about 1/2 the typical price for a 2012 EX250R. 2) Tires at 3800KM? I had one of these and I rode it like a rented mule, the OE tires had 10,000km on it when I sold it and they passed safety. I can't imagine scrubbing a set of OE tires off a 250 Ninja in 3800km.

Perhaps you stumbled on a fabulous deal however my experience is when a deal looks too good to be true...

Could be that the tires are just old and need replacing, after all if it's the original set on the bike they are now 6 years old

When I purchased my bike it only had 12000 Km, but the tires were original and that made them 11 years old, still like brand new, but I put on new ones.....I was not going to ride around on 11 year old tires no matter how good they looked..

Could be that the tires are just old and need replacing, after all if it's the original set on the bike they are now 6 years old

When I purchased my bike it only had 12000 Km, but the tires were original and that made them 11 years old, still like brand new, but I put on new ones.....I was not going to ride around on 11 year old tires no matter how good they looked..

Maybe. Tire sellers will tell you 6 years, however tires are typically good for at least 10. Bikes use tires up fairly quickly, so getting to 6 years is nearly impossible if the bike is ridden regularly.

The only reason I brought this up is because the fellow asking says he has no experience -- and based on the price and need for tires at 3800 km smells a bit fishy to me.

Get the UVIP before you buy the bike. If seller will not provide it, be prepared to walk away. Takes about a business week if you do it and who knows if the bike will still be available when it is. As a new rider, you may be more interested in building insurance history. Also makes reselling easier if you know the bike is legit to register.

Get the UVIP before you buy the bike. If seller will not provide it, be prepared to walk away. Takes about a business week if you do it and who knows if the bike will still be available when it is. As a new rider, you may be more interested in building insurance history. Also makes reselling easier if you know the bike is legit to register.

"takes about a business week" to do what? if your talking about getting a UVIP - it takes about 10 minutes...

"you may be more interested in building insurance history" huh? -more interested than what?

1. get (or view) uvip BEFORE purchase. examine it - check the uvip for liens on bike. Get insurance quote BEFORE purchase.
2. get bill of sale and sellers signed ownership at time of purchase. get mechanical fitness (safety) document.
3. get proof of insurance
4. get plates and ownership in your name
5. ride

Last edited:
Hey guys,

seller does not need to be present for ownership transfer- but they must fill out and sign the "SELLER" section on the ownership at time of purchase- you keep this signed ownership. get bill of sale at same time.

Last edited:
Its not the end of the world if seller doesn't provide a Uvip, some are lazy, some price the bike so well, they didn't anticipate buyers to show up quick to pick it up, and didnt have a chance to pick it up

Call ahead, get the Vin#, go to service ontario, get the UVIP.

$20 will sometimes save you from a sketch bike

Its not the end of the world if seller doesn't provide a Uvip, some are lazy, some price the bike so well, they didn't anticipate buyers to show up quick to pick it up, and didnt have a chance to pick it up

Call ahead, get the Vin#, go to service ontario, get the UVIP.

$20 will sometimes save you from a sketch bike

yup^ jeez what are we doing getting up at 5am lol

Also remember, in Ontario, a motorcycle does not legally require a working odometer. Therefore an unscrupulous seller may feel compelled to roll the odometer back. While that in itself is not illegal, rolling back an odometer whether it is required to work or not would come into the misrepresentation part of civil law.

In other words; does the motorcycle actually only have 3800kms? Given the wear on the tires with only 3800kms indicated, it does raise some concern. Of course the tires might have been changed due to a flat, and the owner just took a friends used set to get on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boyoboy;2571150 jeez what are we doing getting up at 5am lol[/QUOTE said:
Good question

thank you so much for your posts, dude I didn't know a lot of these things. I've read all the comments and feel more aware, as I am experienced I thought the tires were definitely old because 3800km is a lot.

"takes about a business week" to do what? if your talking about getting a UVIP - it takes about 10 minutes...

"you may be more interested in building insurance history" huh? -more interested than what?

1. get (or view) uvip BEFORE purchase. examine it - check the uvip for liens on bike. Get insurance quote BEFORE purchase.
2. get bill of sale and sellers signed ownership at time of purchase. get mechanical fitness (safety) document.
3. get proof of insurance
4. get plates and ownership in your name
5. ride

The seller said he didn't have insurance anymore because it was too expensive thats why he was selling it, and ps it was stolen just called in.

Back
Top Bottom