Picked up an InReach SE ...any tips? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Picked up an InReach SE ...any tips?

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Have not activated yet ...waiting until I either take a last minute trip in Canada ( leaving for Aus end of month ) or just before I get to Australia

DeLorme_inReach_SE_grande.jpeg

I notice it's 15 cents per bread crumb. ....what interval would you recommend....can that be changed on the InReach or only by accessing the website??

Does it need a mount on the bike to see the sky or will it work in a pocket

How long does a charge last?

Any other tips?

Do you use Spotwalla? If not I'd suggest you add the Inreach to it. Great program. https://spotwalla.com/index.php
I'd suggest you wear it on your person. If you and the bike get separated in an emergency somehow then you wont have access to it. Many folks will wear it but have the antenna poking out of the pocket in order to receive/send. Not sure about battery life but check over on advrider.com....they should have the answer since they have the answer to most things....lol. Good call in getting one. MUCH better than a Spot in my opinion.

Forgot to add....don't rely on the clip they provide in order to keep secure on your person....many have lost their Inreach after the clip failed.

Excellent thanks
Yeah too many iffy things on the Spot reviews. $200 for this one was in my view a good deal.

What plan did you get? I’m on the $20 one right now but I’ll change it to the $30ish one later for texts and tracking savings. For breadcrumbs I think my buddy uses 20 minutes for his. Checked his track yesterday as he’s in the US and he sent me his mapshare link and the trail looked pretty good. The website gives you a lot of customization options. Also you really want that thing on your person...if you get separated from the bike in the back of beyond you may not have the mobility to get to the tracker. A pocket seems fine but don’t bury it. It’s a neat little gizmo.

As the others said, def. do not mount it on the bike. I use the older SPOT (switching to InReach shortly) and like to have it mounted to the shoulder strap of my camel-pack, in the upper chest area. This way it's accessible and in view of the sky.

I have an obvious pocket on my mesh jacket.
I got the cheap plan for now....one reason I asked about tracking intervals.

I have the InReach Explorer and like you I have the Freedom Safety Plan. I had set the tracking to send every 20 minutes and usually ride for 5 to 12 hours per day on weekends so it does add up. In the end, it ended costing me the same amount as their Recreation Plan (where the tracking would be unlimited at 10 minute intervals). I find that 20 minute interval is good enough to track your approximate path, but then I will be upgrading it to the Recreation Plan because it costs the same. You can change the interval on the InReach.

A couple of minor annoyances are 1) if you use the MapShare feature it'll share how fast you're going when it sends the tracking point. 2) you can't block certain areas from showing up, i.e. if you start sharing when you leave your house people can easily figure out where you live because that would be your start and end point.

As for the where I keep the device, like others have recommended, I have it in my front jacket pocket and it seems to work fine but if for whatever reason it doesn't work I've also purchased this a Walkie Talkie Radio Case Pouch:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Walkie-Talk...elt-For-Motorola-Kenwood-Midland/291996365420
It fits the InReach perfectly and it can be strapped to your chest.

Not sure how long it takes to charge since I've always left it to charge overnight, but I've only had to charge it twice in the month I've had it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom