Rusty Motorcycle Chain | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rusty Motorcycle Chain

CHRIS63

https://imgur.com/a/gtd3nDL

Recently my motorcycle chain has more rust than normal. I had washed the bike, and as usual would clean the chain after as well. I use kerosene generously and scrub the chain rigorously with a motorcycle chain brush but there is still rust that just wont come off.

Anyone got other ways of cleaning rust off? Thanks.

Bike has 7000km and I clean the chain frequently

That spot rusted pretty quick...

Take a wire brush to it, but make sure you don't nick the o'rings. Only use it on the outside of the links.

Then just lube it real well.

Try not to hit it with a pressure washer, just use kerosene like you've been doing.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about that. If it looked like this:

vfr400-nc30-rust-on-motorcycle-chain-l-9b3f346e39219102.jpg

then I'd worry.

Lube the chain and then give it a protective coat of chain wax. Don't fret over cosmetic oxidation like that.

I wouldn't worry about that. If it looked like this:

vfr400-nc30-rust-on-motorcycle-chain-l-9b3f346e39219102.jpg

then I'd worry.

Lube the chain and then give it a protective coat of chain wax. Don't fret over cosmetic oxidation like that.
I grew up in a day when this was a common occurrence, and we fixed rusty chains because we they were really expensive to replace.

Here's how I used to do them:

1) Find a 1-2 gallon pail, 12v battery or battery charger, a big hunk of scrap steel and some Arm and Hammer washing soda.
2) Mix 1.5 tablespoons of washing soda (sodium bicarb) with each gallon of water.
3) Clip the negative to the chain, the positive to your hunk of metal and immerse overnight (make sure they don't touch, make sure the positive connection is above water).

By the morning there won't be a spot of rust on the chain.

that looks like cosmetic only OP
I'd just lube it heavy and let the oil do it's thing

Maybe clean it less frequently (but keep on lubing it)

Mmmm. Lets see. Have you tried WD 40, Coke Cola (Without the scotch) .

just have to comment on this. What the bloody frack!! who mixes scotch with Coke? Must be some pretty crappy scotch.

as Scuba Steve says, stop cleaning chain so much. That chain is cleaner than some surgical instruments.

Rollers are rusted too. Scotch neat or with a splash of soda. Coke you got to be kidding me....��

just have to comment on this. What the bloody frack!! who mixes scotch with Coke? Must be some pretty crappy scotch.

as Scuba Steve says, stop cleaning chain so much. That chain is cleaner than some surgical instruments.

For me scotch is drunk completely neat. no ice, no nothing. To be savoured. Plus, In a proper glass. Makes all the difference.

For me scotch is drunk completely neat. no ice, no nothing. To be savoured. Plus, In a proper glass. Makes all the difference.
\

definitely no coke, but I do like a few ice cubes and just a splash of water
I know the ice is snickered at, but F it, I like a cold drink :)

\

Good for you. Your drink, drink it as you prefer. Never mind anybody else, including me. Not going to judge anybody. When I am perfect I will judge others. However, I will never be perfect, thank goodness. Cheers, Health and Happiness to you. Your Avatar says it all. Slàinte.

Who would put scotch into Coke. It's Coke straight up, chilled or with ice. bah...scotch. :(

oh yeah, just lube the chain and don't clean it without lubing right after.

\

Try drops of water instead, you wont believe the results.

Ice for any of that 12year old crap, otherwise its way too vile. 15 and up i find smooth enough that neat is perfecto.

Try drops of water instead, you wont believe the results.

Ice for any of that 12year old crap, otherwise its way too vile. 15 and up i find smooth enough that neat is perfecto.

yup, very small amount of water
straight up I find it numbs your tastebuds
slightly diluted and I can roll it around and taste everything

but even with an 18 year old, I want my ice :)

scotch? really? you enjoy it so much you got to water it down? just kidding, to each their own; a cold beer goes down pretty good after adj. and lubing a chain. no added HOH please...

I prefer to have the cold beer while doing chain maintenance
post ride or course :)

beer and scotch are the same thing
just one is bubbly with more water it

He most likely doesn't drink, he probably meant to say rum instead of scotch

Back
Top Bottom