photo radar here ??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

photo radar here ???

D

Dr. Luxurious

just a heads up ...got monthly email from the local councillor. apparently photo radar has been installed on norseman st. at norseman middle school.
i had no idea photo radar was being reintroduced . dont know if its anywhere else yet. might be worth being extra cautious when going by those
electronic speed signs near schools.

abbf5feefe43399fd64048bdc14b134d--school-psychology-corp.jpg

Last edited:
It actually issues tickets? I thought these just showed you your speed as a reminder you were speeding...

There are a couple in Waterloo

^^ same here. Those things only show the speed as a caution. Never had any tickets issued. Unless the pic is not of the actual photo radar...

there was some change in legislation not long ago
Prov Gov has allowed municipalities to use photo radar in community safety zones
so this would include 40 kmh school zones
and other places where the citizenry have whined hard for ridiculously low speed limits

there was some change in legislation not long ago
Prov Gov has allowed municipalities to use photo radar in community safety zones
so this would include 40 kmh school zones
and other places where the citizenry have whined hard for ridiculously low speed limits

Don't see how it would work on a motorcycle anyway considering its only facing forward and we have no front plates, also the ones I ride by don't even register, they just flash a line trying to get the speed

sorry, maybe i wasnt clear in the OP .. yes, these signs are old news, you go by and they flash ...end of story.
but apparently they have started to iinstall/ retrofit some them with photo radar....

Waze should be a good app for warning about these things. Can photo radar pick up a rear license plate?

Sent from my MIX Lite using Tapatalk

Waze should be a good app for warning about these things. Can photo radar pick up a rear license plate?

I'll bet if they are going through the hassle of retrofitting signs with photo radar, they'll have everything covered to make sure they get their monies.

Speed cameras won't look like the "your speed ..." signs. Permanent (or semi-permanent) speed cameras will probably look more like the red-light cameras that are already in use at various locations throughout the province. It is possible to retrofit red-light cameras to also be so-called "speed on green" cameras (i.e. it's a red-light camera if the traffic light is red, and it is a speed camera if the traffic light is green). Same hardware can do both. Speed cameras take a picture of the rear of the vehicle ... motorcycles aren't exempt from getting such tickets. The "your speed ..." signs are inherently front-facing but they don't dole out tickets.

The old photo radar legislation (put in place by the NDP! remember that ...) was never taken off the books when a previous (PC) government cancelled the old speed camera program. I know the outgoing (Liberal! remember that ...) government did something to enable photo radar to be installed in community safety zones (which are themselves ill-defined) but I have yet to see an actual speed camera installed in one.

Don't see how it would work on a motorcycle anyway considering its only facing forward and we have no front plates, also the ones I ride by don't even register, they just flash a line trying to get the speed

The old radar took pictures of the rear plate which was the problem. They couldn't ticket a trailer and the semi guys figured that out on the second day. Cars cruise controlled at the limit and semis on their rear bumper wanting them to go faster.

I don't think anyone does. Every once in a while though, you see a community safety zone extending way out beyond the edge of town.
Perhaps there's another explanation, but it screams out to me "somebody important lives out here"
The simple solution is to not speed, but my concern is that these out of town zones become tax zones for motorists who don't know about them
I have no problem doing 40 in a school zone.

I don't think anyone does. Every once in a while though, you see a community safety zone extending way out beyond the edge of town.
Perhaps there's another explanation, but it screams out to me "somebody important lives out here"
The simple solution is to not speed, but my concern is that these out of town zones become tax zones for motorists who don't know about them

Try Winnipeg. Some of their school zone have speed limits that change several times a day.

Do these actually do anyhing? I remember hanging with a few dudes at like 2AM few years ago, empty road with one of these and they kept going back and forth to see how high they could make it go lmao.

The old radar took pictures of the rear plate which was the problem. They couldn't ticket a trailer and the semi guys figured that out on the second day. Cars cruise controlled at the limit and semis on their rear bumper wanting them to go faster.

Not on 400 series Hwy's. 100 km/h roads. Trucks are governed at 105 km/h. Unless they are going down hill they can't go faster.

Do these actually do anyhing? I remember hanging with a few dudes at like 2AM few years ago, empty road with one of these and they kept going back and forth to see how high they could make it go lmao.

I would imagine it isn't hard to hit 99km/h...? Or does it loop and read 01 at 101km/h?

just a heads up ...got monthly email from the local councillor. apparently photo radar has been installed on norseman st. at norseman middle school.
i had no idea photo radar was being reintroduced . dont know if its anywhere else yet. might be worth being extra cautious when going by those
electronic speed signs near schools.

IIRC, whenever these "measures" are enacted by counsellors (or demanded by the locals/parents) for safety reasons, it usually turns out that the locals/parents are the worst offenders. We all bend the rules a bit in familiar neighborhoods, so it makes sense. Everyone gets upset and then the councillor is pressured to remove the measure (or end the "safety-blitz"). It seems to happen every few years in Etobicoke.

Back
Top Bottom