Why to ALWAYS test ride a bike before buying it... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why to ALWAYS test ride a bike before buying it...

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
So, I bought a new/used motorcycle for my wife 2 weeks ago - she's been riding her 650 for 2 years and was ready to step up to a full size cruiser as she wanted more creature comforts.

And here's the story. It could have gone all sorts of wrong, but thankfully the seller was honest and it went all sorts of right, but...

Before we go any further, I know I've seen the comments on both sides of the fence.

- Nobody rides my bike when I'm selling it. Once they own it they can ride it, I'm done with it, deal done.
- I've bought lots of bikes, never test rode any of them, never had an issue.

So, we found a nice Vstar 1100 for her to move up to. Impeccable condition, only 45K on it (not bad for an 03), and some tasteful farkles courtesy of a previous owner. Price was on the moderate-high side for said bike, but it had some key accessories we wanted already on it, so that was cool..and the seller was a nice guy, and the bike was clearly well maintained.

Unfortunately the bike was not plated or insured when we looked at it so aside from listening to it in the sellers driveway that was about all we could do. Everything *seemed* good.

Came to an agreement on the price, and asked the seller to certify it. All good.

The night to pickup the bike arrives - we get there (having already arranged insurance and plates and such, so we would just ride it home) - we exchange the money, sign over the ownership etc, and it's all looking good, but (thankfully) he offers to let me take it for that test ride now before we part ways.

It was a good thing I took him up on it. I didn't get 50 feet out of the parking lot at and I felt the clutch slip in second gear. And then it slipped more in third gear. In fourth and fifth I could freely rev the engine at will without a lot of acceleration happening.

I returned to the parking lot and discussion ensued. Needless to say I was polite, but firm - I couldn't take the bike like this - it needs a clutch! If it was a $1500 bike I would be willing to buy the parts and wrench on a brand new (to us) bike, but at what we paid, not so much.

Anyhow, the seller was very understanding, if not totally aware of the issue, but I think it was a genuine misunderstanding on his part - if he'd been trying to hide something he'd have left without the offer of a test ride before calling it a deal, right? We exchanged texts for a few days discussing the issue (it wasn't that we were trying to bail out on the deal, we WANTED the bike!) and eventually he informed me that he was getting the clutch replaced for us.

A week later we picked up the bike. No more clutch issues! The seller was actually amazed he said when he rode it home - he'd thought the bike was low on power, not realizing that it was just massive clutch slippage.

Anyhow, our story ended well - my wife has about 400KM on the bike now in the last week and is loving it, and the seller made good on the repair, but it could easily have gone all sorts of wrong as well had the seller been unscrupulous.

So, once again, I'm reminded that I will never, ever buy another bike/vehicle/whatever without being able to ride/drive it. Just too many risks - this could have ended up costing me a minimum of $150 for the parts (possibly more if it needed more than just the friction plates) plus some busted knuckle time in the garage, something I really would not have appreciated on a "brand new" bike.

Lesson learned.

That seems like a good way to deal with the issue of test rides. I’m planning on selling my old honda nighthawk and have been reading with interest the comments on allowing test riding when selling. I’m leaning towards “no” but now I think I will go with the “once you own it, you can take it for a 1 hour test ride and I’ll buy it back from you (and change the ownership back etc) if there is a valid problem we can’t resolve” such as a slipping clutch. To @privatepilot … before you ended up with the bike did you have to sell it back to him, change the ownership back and get your money back since you had already signed the new ownership and the seller was riding it to get it fixed ?

Any time I sold any of my bikes, I refused solo test rides since there are issues with insurance and unknown riding ability of the tester. So I always offered to ride them pillion. This was a great compromise as we could talk as I rode, they could feel the acceleration, the shifting or hear any unusual sounds, if there had been any.

When I was selling my hayabusa, no way was I allowing test rides. More than welcome to be pillion though and listen, feel how the bike is.

I would only alow a test ride if the buyer handed me full asking price in cash to hold during the test....lucky i have more than 1 bike and would go with them.

Any time I sold any of my bikes, I refused solo test rides since there are issues with insurance and unknown riding ability of the tester. So I always offered to ride them pillion. This was a great compromise as we could talk as I rode, they could feel the acceleration, the shifting or hear any unusual sounds, if there had been any.

Unless you're a girl I would never accept this ridiculous offer. I would send you to a cold lake to take a swim. Either I test ride the bike myself or you can keep your bike.

Unless you're a girl I would never accept this ridiculous offer. I would send you to a cold lake to take a swim. Either I test ride the bike myself or you can keep your bike.
Agreed.
When we were buying my gf's ninja 250 I said I wanted to take it on a test ride (we came on my gsxr 600 so that they would know I at least could ride). He was hesitant, saying what if I crashed it and so on, and as soon as I rode 10 meters I knew why he didn't want me on it. Bike rode like crap, could barely steer it, let alone take a corner.

The only way you are riding a bike I am selling is if the sale is already complete and the contract allows us to cancel after the test ride if the bike is returned in the same condition. It's not worth the insurance hit to let random people ride your bike.

HH provides an alternative that I have used before and doesn't require the transfer of money and paperwork associated with my way.

The only way you are riding a bike I am selling is if the sale is already complete and the contract allows us to cancel after the test ride if the bike is returned in the same condition. It's not worth the insurance hit to let random people ride your bike.

HH provides an alternative that I have used before and doesn't require the transfer of money and paperwork associated with my way.

Why would if effect your insurance? Assuming they just drop it and there's no actual damage to public property/accident, they just bought themselves the bike.

Why would if effect your insurance? Assuming they just drop it and there's no actual damage to public property/accident, they just bought themselves the bike.

Or they walk away leaving you with a destroyed bike, what's to stop them? Unless they are a decent human being, you'd have to sue them for the damages (is that even possible with no-fault insurance?). Or they do cause damage to someone or something else. Unless they own it, ultimately you are on the hook for whatever happens.

Obviously this wouldn't be an at-fault accident for the owner (or would it? if you don't have a copy of the riders license, I assume the insurance company would find you 100% at fault), but would get recorded as a claim if the insurance company has to pay out.

Last edited:
AFAIK If someone else does something insurance worth on your bike....it's your insurance taking the hit. Unless it was stolen.

Suppose you could always claim you were showing it to the buyer and they just took off with it.

AFAIK If someone else does something insurance worth on your bike....it's your insurance taking the hit. Unless it was stolen.

Suppose you could always claim you were showing it to the buyer and they just took off with it.

Stolen with you giving them the keys is a lot harder fight with the insurance company.

I have never or never will I buy a used bike without a test ride.
I have gone with friends to test ride bikes they are interested in.
No ride, no buy.

Plenty of vehicles have been stolen with the keys. Some have ended very badly for the owner. Think pickup.

Or they walk away leaving you with a destroyed bike, what's to stop them? Unless they are a decent human being, you'd have to sue them for the damages (is that even possible with no-fault insurance?). Or they do cause damage to someone or something else. Unless they own it, ultimately you are on the hook for whatever happens.

Obviously this wouldn't be an at-fault accident for the owner (or would it? if you don't have a copy of the riders license, I assume the insurance company would find you 100% at fault), but would get recorded as a claim if the insurance company has to pay out.

The envelope of cash I have in my hand? If they run and dont take the ownership I'll keep the money and report it stolen. If they drop it and transfer ownership I'll keep the money and they can file the claim.

Assuming they dont hit anything or anyone, that would be no bueno for you.

Well in the land of no fault your insurance would pay, if they were also insured I assume your company could chase them to recoup costs. Likely you'd still take the hit.

The envelope of cash I have in my hand? If they run and dont take the ownership I'll keep the money and report it stolen. If they drop it and transfer ownership I'll keep the money and they can file the claim.

Well in the land of no fault your insurance would pay, if they were also insured I assume your company could chase them to recoup costs. Likely you'd still take the hit.

Correct me if i'm wrong,but if the keys were in the bike and the test rider doesn't come back,isn't that "insecure to theft" in the eyes of the insurer.

if you left the keys in it on the driveway, yes. If showing to a prospective buyer and they take off with it, I wouldn't think so.

Envelope full of cash changes everything. At that point money and vehicle have changed hands so they've bought it, you just need to finish the paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom