Buying tracked tires for street bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying tracked tires for street bike?

tna

Thoughts on purchasing a set of Dunlop Q3s from someone who used it for a handful of track days so I can install on my supersport bike for street riding? The tires have lots of tread left in the centre and I don't ride too aggressively, esp when taking turns. Would save me about 60% of what I would have to spend if I were to purchase and install brand new tires.

I'd be in a better position next year to buy all new tires so just wondering if this is something people strongly do not recommend doing.

I saw that too, the scrubs
see no issue with them at all

was wondering if I could sell my flat spot touring tires
to track dudes, as we seem to use different parts of the rubber :)

No problem.When i did trackdays,i used my track tires on my streetbike all the time.Saved a bit of cash.

I have done it for over a decade almost exclusively. Even toured on scrubs. Granted, they only lasted the trip. lol Though, once I run them on the street a while, I tend not to use them on the track. And soft track scrubs make great winter tires. :)

If those scrubs were a little thinner, I'd get them.

I thought that track tires were meant to run at significantly higher temperatures than street tires, and wouldn't grip as well a street tires at lower temps?

I thought that track tires were meant to run at significantly higher temperatures than street tires, and wouldn't grip as well a street tires at lower temps?

Race tires, yes.

A Q3 isn’t a race tire. A Q3 is perfectly fine for street riding.

Yep, DOT scrubs. Only issue was with Pirelli SC1...they don't like the extreme cold, so if you plan to use them past unheated winter storage, keep them warmish.

I dropped my bike one cold day because I had soft compound scrubs on. It was like I hit ice but it was only 8 degrees. As soon as I turned off of my driveway and turned to get on the road, out she slid.

Other than that, track scrubs have saved me thousands of dollars over the years.

Strange, I've had the opposite effect. Softer tires in the cold gave me better grip than previous street tires.

Back
Top Bottom