Stripped bar end bolt | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stripped bar end bolt

TorontoListener

I have a 2015 Daytona. This is one of those things where on a well-engineered bike, some designer in some department screwed up badly, making life difficult for Triumph owners the world over.

Seems that if you are one of the lucky few, the little 3mm hex bolt will unscrew without too much difficulty. If you are unlucky, the dummy that assembled the bar end used loctite or some other cement to make the bolt attachment permanent.

I've tried heating the bar end... all I did was basically strip the hex bolt.

I don't have the tools to drill it out, and I wouldn't know how to do it properly anyway. Any ideas? Any place I could take it to? A mechanic? Home Depot?

IMG_20180601_140256.jpg

You could also try gently using a hammer to tap in a Torx driver bit that's a little too big to easily fit in that hole. It might get enough bite in the metal to allow you to loosen it.

^ this is a good idea

OP, try heating the head of the bolt, as hot as you can
the heat will conduct down the bolt and break the loctite
let it cool then try to get it out

Just use a drill , the same diameter as the bolt, or slightly larger . Drill the center and the head will com off, then pull off the bar end , and take what is left out with the vice grips , or a small pipe wrench.

I was about to start another thread for basically same question op had. Glad I found this one.
I have a fairing bolt which is too tight and won't unscrew.

Will try what OP did. Thanks!

No, the tools are fine and of the correct size. The design is poor, a small hex subjected to high torque in order to remove.
It's a Triumph -- without few really dumb mechanical and electrical flaws it wouldn't qualify as a British motor vehicle.

Get a die grinder and cut a slot across the top of that screw so you can use a flat head screw driver. Put it in a vice and heat it up. Whack it a few times with a 2lb hammer. Use a torque driver to get it out.

Back
Top Bottom