AMA about Tesla Model 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

AMA about Tesla Model 3

black_CG2

Hello folks,

Have not posted for a long time. Recently got a temp work assignment with Tesla being the Vehicle Assistant/Valet. Got plenty of experience that I would love to share with you all.

1. Car is pretty fast (of course not as fast as Model S or X)
2. Sound system is amazing
3. It is quite smart
4. Cabin is spacious
5. No gas to worry about

I know the points are kind of vague, however, feel free to ask any questions you may have. If I do not know the answer, I will find out from Tesla.

Useful link:
https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/model3

Safe riding!

How many Model 3's are being delivered to owners each day at the Lawrence Ave centre? I was curious because I pass the lot used near the 401 to store new Teslas and there have been more and more 3's parked there.

I know its the wrong time of year to ask, but any idea of range in colder weather with the heater on ?

What tests were conducted to ensure that the steel used on the 3 doesn't rust prematurely during our salty winters? Was this even a consideration given that the company is located in Cali?

Thanks for taking questions

What tests were conducted to ensure that the steel used on the 3 doesn't rust prematurely during our salty winters? Was this even a consideration given that the company is located in Cali?

Considering that they have a pretty relatively huge market in some scandinavian countries, i'm hoping they would've thought of that.

Considering that they have a pretty relatively huge market in some scandinavian countries, i'm hoping they would've thought of that.

To date Tesla's approach has been to get the product out as quick as they can without properly testing the equipment and then fixing the problems as they arise (very much a software release model, not an automotive model). This is Tesla's first model with steel body components. Tesla's huge market share in Scandinavian countries is with their other models that are built from aluminum. I assume nothing with Tesla. I hope for the best, but I would need to know for sure before considering a M3 Tesla. I'd be pretty ****** if I bought the equivalent of a 90's Hyundai Pony.

Galvanized sheet metal + ecoat + primer + paint + clear coat + selected applications of rockerguard, rubberized undercoating, etc + careful design to minimize places where water can be trapped against the metal is how everyone else does this. It will be more critical on the 3 than on their prior models. They have no history with steel bodies.

How many Model 3's are being delivered to owners each day at the Lawrence Ave centre? I was curious because I pass the lot used near the 401 to store new Teslas and there have been more and more 3's parked there.
Numbers are confidential. According to Tesla, they are breaking records of delivering lots of cars every day.

I know its the wrong time of year to ask, but any idea of range in colder weather with the heater on ?
No official figures yet. However, I have been told that the range would not drop much.

No worries. Brian P answered your question below. Tesla Officials also told me that they made under carriage of the car pretty much waterproof.
Waiting for the AWD version, when is going to be on the build sheet ?

Another 6-9 months according to Tesla website.
Galvanized sheet metal + ecoat + primer + paint + clear coat + selected applications of rockerguard, rubberized undercoating, etc + careful design to minimize places where water can be trapped against the metal is how everyone else does this. It will be more critical on the 3 than on their prior models. They have no history with steel bodies.

I think they are doing something like that plus reinforcing the under carriage with lots of material so that the water cannot go in.

Thanks for the questions, fellas!

When are the build and add-on packages going to be available on the Tesla website?

There's not many options to choose from at this point.

Premium Package + Long Range battery for 9 months ($64k), then AWD option. Then likely a whole year until short range battery option and base package.

Black paint is standard, any other colour is $1,300.

I hope for the best, but I would need to know for sure before considering a M3 Tesla. I'd be pretty ****** if I bought the equivalent of a 90's Hyundai Pony.

Only 24-60 months from now will the answers to many of these questions start to trickle out.

As for the body, well..will it look like a 80's Lada inside 5-10 years? Only time will tell, but there's legitimate reasons to be concerned about that.

No official figures yet. However, I have been told that the range would not drop much.

Anyone who actually owns an EV knows that's incorrect. Gas cars use more gas, EV's use more kilowatts.

Model S drivers report between 20% loss (for single start sustained drives) to 50% for multiple short-drive scenarios.

Whoever told you "the range won't drop much" is living in the Musk reality distortion field.

With all that said, I hope the 3 is a success, but I've struggled to be positive about it because of the how many times the ball has been dropped or reality has been stretched.

you remember the old adage, "don't every buy a first year model production car". In recent years, this wasn't the case anymore as automakers have gotten pretty good, except for the Tesla 3. I believe you will see a flood of early models on the used market sooner than later due to poor initial build quality as it has been well documented. Check this VINs carefully before buying.

Happily, Tesla has been lightning quick in fixing issues. Read recently that from somewhere around Vin 14xxx to current, they upgraded/updated the rear seats for comfort, the suspension, and the windshield, and a host of other minor fixes. Most automakers wait till the next model year to indtroduce updates/changes.

I believe the next model year of the Tesla 3 will be the one to buy when they get all the issues sorted out. I don't mind waiting another year....

Back
Top Bottom