Trailering Bikes Across Boarder | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailering Bikes Across Boarder

arogal

Me and a buddy are planning on doing a trip down to the Deals Gap area in late July-Mid August for a couple days. We are going to rent a Uhaul and trailer the bikes down there. I'm not concerned about myself having problems crossing with my bike, it's my buddy I'm a bit concerned about.
His dad is the primary and only holder on insurance and registration, but my friend rides the bike. I know, it's not a good idea, but he can do what he wants, I can't tell him what to do. They live under the same household and both have their M licences.
Because the bike that he is planing on bringing across the boarder is registered or insured under his fathers name and not his, would this be an issue? Would they even ask us questions about the bikes cause they are on a trailer? Would he be better just taking the plate off and saying he is going to be tracking the bike somewhere?
I have crossed the boarders numerous times and I've only been asked for my passport....never been asked for registration/proof of insurance for my vehicle, but I'm not sure if they ask that info about bikes being used for pleasure down there. He doesn't use this forum and I thought some fella's on GTAM may have a bit of insight on this.
Thanks a ton!

Bring registration and a signed letter from his dad stating he has authorized his son to use it as he wishes?

Likely overkill but who wants to be turned back at the boarder.

^^ probably a good idea just in case. I've crossed with different trailers several times and never asked for bike or trailer info. They're usually just excited for us and curious about the trip more than anything. Always been pleasant with us crossing with bikes in tow (touch wood).
Good luck and have a great trip!

I've always been asked for ownership on the bikes and trailer, never insurance. However I've never dealt with bringing a bike/trailer that is not mine or one of my passengers.

2004 I did haul someone's bike back from Daytona, she messed off with a racer and literally left me with her bike loaded on my truck. My other girlfriends and I had stored the truck/trailer in Daytona while we went on a trip down to the Keys.

I didn't hate her enough (then) to unload and leave the bike, but if I would have. Any hassles at the border I would easily have dumped it and washed my hands.

They didn't even question why I had 4 bikes with 3 peeps. Sigh. Then the cheque she wrote me bounced. Always the gixxers......

We will be renting a Uhaul trailer for the trip. at $15 a day you can't go wrong! May as well get his dad to write up a letter for them just to be safe. I'd just hate for us to be held up at the border after the trip has been planned (hotel booked, all the time being put into routes to ride, etc). He will have the ownership for the bike, and it will have the same last name and address as his passport, not like it's a friends ownership or anything. Don't see why they would make a big deal about it, but to be extra cautious I could always give them a call and ask them personally...there would really be nothing to lose. I wish he would just register the bike and insure it under his own name as it's a daily, but his dad's been riding for 30+ years and insurance is peanuts for the GSXR 1000.

gonna ask the question that needs to be asked
going to Tennessee in July, why do you need a trailer?

never had a question about insurance crossing the border
have had questions about vehicle ownership, but never had to show the paperwork

if you get a fussy border agent, you may have to produce all the docs
including trailer ownership, but I doubt they will ask to see any insurance docs
in the US you are free to fail, it's not a nanny state

if there is a concern at all, it will be that you may be importing the bikes
so definitely do not remove a license plate

edit, a bit more wisdom, that you didn't ask for: don't lie, about anything
you can never predict what the border agent is going to focus on
if you tell them you're going to a track, they may decide to ask you all about that
what track? where is it? when are you racing? where's all your racing gear?

if they get you to contradict yourself, or appear as if you're obviously lying, bad deal
so have all your docs ready, including a printed hotel reservation
and I like Evo's idea of the authorization letter
they may not look at any of it, but if you have it there in your hand and offer it
that stuff goes a long way with these guys

Last edited:
gonna ask the question that needs to be asked
going to Tennessee in July, why do you need a trailer?

Sheesh; touring versus sport riding :)

Because I'd rather spend the available time riding at the destination as opposed to getting there and back. Because I'd rather have a fresh set of tires there as opposed to half worn out. Because on the bike that I'd like to ride, my back and shoulders won't make it there and back. Because if I'm going to be on Interstate 75 for hours, I'd rather do it in comfort with air conditioning, cruise control, satellite radio with the bike in the back of my van (or on a trailer, as the case may be).

There's places in North America where I'd like to ride, but I have zero interest in being on a motorcycle for the trip there and back.

I know I'm not the only one who feels like that.

It doesn't motivate me to get a touring bike ... I'm just not into doing that.

This is from someone who turned a few laps at Mugello a couple weeks ago ... it puts a whole new perspective on this weekend's MotoGP event ...

Just did it last week. Border popo wanted to know if Ontario plated and registered. Took down numbers from trailer and bike and entered into computer. Carry original documentation to produce if asked.

This is from someone who turned a few laps at Mugello a couple weeks ago ... it puts a whole new perspective on this weekend's MotoGP event ...

this is really not fair to bring up :(

I was actually looking at airfare the other day
and accommodations in the area
not gonna happen though

how was the track?

and agree about I-75, truly awful stretch of road
81 is far better, but not as direct

Last edited:
Boarder definition: a person who receives regular meals when staying somewhere, in return for payment or services.

Border definition: a line separating two political or geographical areas, especially countries.

Just sayin'

March 2015 - travelling with my HD in the back of my truck - US CBP didn't ask for any papers (other than my passport) - upon return CBSA asked to see registration of the bike.

Usually your insurance company will know the residents of the house. Liability and medical coverage may be covered if he has his own auto ins policy for something. His father's pink slip would show that the bike is insured and his own pink slip would show that he is covered.

If truly undeclared/uncovered, I hope he understands that the US legal system different then up here - if an incident occurs, of course.

If truly undeclared/uncovered, I hope he understands that the US legal system different then up here - if an incident occurs, of course.

Different? Yes, but not by much.

in the event of an accident and being found liable
can be very different, and downright ugly
completely uncontrolled tort system, nasty

lets say for instance, the guy on his dad's bike
riding the twisties, starts into a right hander a little hot
ends up on the wrong side of the road, rider coming the other way
is forced off the road, hits a tree and dies

State Troopers show up, finds a Canadian rider caused the accident
and he's riding a bike he doesn't own
this ain't gonna be an Ontario-like few hours with the cops and released on a promise to appear
dude is going to county jail until they can get him in front of a judge for bail hearing
by now the deceased's family has a lawyer who shows up at the bail hearing
he's gonna be pushing for, and likely get, a very high bail as it is very likely the defendant will flee
sure he can get a bond, but it is going to be expensive being from out of country
or maybe the judge hates bikers, dude gets held for trial, no bail

being in the middle of that and not having liability insurance would be life altering

Last edited:
Sheesh; touring versus sport riding :)

Because I'd rather spend the available time riding at the destination as opposed to getting there and back. Because I'd rather have a fresh set of tires there as opposed to half worn out. Because on the bike that I'd like to ride, my back and shoulders won't make it there and back. Because if I'm going to be on Interstate 75 for hours, I'd rather do it in comfort with air conditioning, cruise control, satellite radio with the bike in the back of my van (or on a trailer, as the case may be).

There's places in North America where I'd like to ride, but I have zero interest in being on a motorcycle for the trip there and back.

I know I'm not the only one who feels like that.

It doesn't motivate me to get a touring bike ... I'm just not into doing that.

my thoughts exactly, I rode down there a few years ago and have no desire to ride down again, if I go back i'll be trailering the bike down

so jealous about Mugello

Boarder definition: a person who receives regular meals when staying somewhere, in return for payment or services.

Border definition: a line separating two political or geographical areas, especially countries.

Just sayin'

Glad I wasn't the only one, I just didn't want to be that guy.

in the event of an accident and being found liable
can be very different, and downright ugly
completely uncontrolled tort system, nasty

lets say for instance, the guy on his dad's bike
riding the twisties, starts into a right hander a little hot
ends up on the wrong side of the road, rider coming the other way
is forced off the road, hits a tree and dies

State Troopers show up, finds a Canadian rider caused the accident
and he's riding a bike he doesn't own
this ain't gonna be an Ontario-like few hours with the cops and released on a promise to appear
dude is going to county jail until they can get him in front of a judge for bail hearing
by now the deceased's family has a lawyer who shows up at the bail hearing
he's gonna be pushing for, and likely get, a very high bail as it is very likely the defendant will flee
sure he can get a bond, but it is going to be expensive being from out of country
or maybe the judge hates bikers, dude gets held for trial, no bail

being in the middle of that and not having liability insurance would be life altering

The potential is there...
25 years ago, in Tenn. I was rear ended on my bike by another Ontario driver (minivan)... Nothing too serious, I wasn't even knocked off my bike, but there was some damage and I wanted a police report to prop up my ins. claim.
Local po-dunk police show up and yup... Sure as s*** the driver of the minivan was looking at a trip to the courthouse to see a justice o' the peace to post bond. I can't recall exactly, but at that time it wasn't like it would all be done that day.
The poor guy who hit me was on his way home from Disney with his wife and kids... Barney Fife took pity on him and decided, if it didn't matter to me he'd just fill out a report and not actually charge the guy... He specifically stated he was doing so because of the potential hardship it would cause the minivan guy and since we were both from out of state... As long as we got the hell out of Tenn., he didn't care.
All I wanted was a report that stated I was hit so I didn't care either... 'Not looking to punish the guy.
But... Maybe my guy was lucky..?

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom