Trailering Bikes Across Boarder | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailering Bikes Across Boarder

Should be no issue; I've travelled many times over with someone else's vehicle. I just tell them who's it is and they don't care. As long as it's not stolen, and particularly if it's a relatives they should pass no issue

Boarder definition: a person who receives regular meals when staying somewhere, in return for payment or services.

Border definition: a line separating two political or geographical areas, especially countries.

Just sayin'
I didn't want to be that guy...for once.
Thanks

Edit: and I just noticed that @SVeezy said the same thing

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm surprised no-one said it...

Your friend is in the same household as his dad, and isn't listed on the insurance. If he has a wreck, the insurance company won't cover him. If he and his father lived at different residences, then he can borrow it without issue...

No problem getting over the border, but good luck filing a claim...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I'm surprised no-one said it...

Your friend is in the same household as his dad, and isn't listed on the insurance. If he has a wreck, the insurance company won't cover him. If he and his father lived at different residences, then he can borrow it without issue...

No problem getting over the border, but good luck filing a claim...

Yup. Very true. You've been warned.

You may be asked entering the US, or re entering Canada for registration and plate info on the trailer and whats on it. Having a letter from Dad may suffice, or not, it really depends on the officer on duty.

If I'm reading your notes correctly OP, your buddy is essentially uninsured? Oy vey......

You may be asked entering the US, or re entering Canada for registration and plate info on the trailer and whats on it. Having a letter from Dad may suffice, or not, it really depends on the officer on duty.

If I'm reading your notes correctly OP, your buddy is essentially uninsured? Oy vey......

Vehicles are insured. People do not get insured for motor vehicle use. The bike is insured just not in his name. It's covered but risky if a regular user, lives in same house and not declared so.

Sorry guy, but you don't know what you are talking about on this one.

You have to declare all licensed drivers in the household. If they won't be driving/riding the vehicle, you have to exclude them from your policy; otherwise they are listed on the policy as an occasional driver... and in the OP's buddy's case, the insurance for his dad would go way up. What they are doing is insurance fraud. Different address, no need to list his son; same address, listed on policy as occasional, or excluded.

Vehicles are insured. People do not get insured for motor vehicle use. The bike is insured just not in his name. It's covered but risky if a regular user, lives in same house and not declared so.

I am here just to comment on the typo in the thread title. Its BORDER not BOARDER.
No other useful information to add.

First off, I wrote this post on my phone and didn't even realize the typo "boarder".....there is something called auto correct. I have an MBA Degree from the Degroote School of Business and am more than capable of spelling this word correctly in regards to which context it is being used.
I wasn't asking for anyone to chirp me out directly as I HAVE full insurance coverage, and registration.
We were initially planning on riding down, but we both ride Super Sports and wanted to save all our energy for the riding down there.
My friend would have been using his brothers enclosed trailer that he uses for their dirt bikes, so we won't be needing a Uhaul anymore. Also, he has a Cummins Diesel Dodge Ram so we wouldn't need to worry about the towing weight capacity. Good tips though if we didn't have the proper vehicles for transportation :).
After some comments in regards to "what would happen if there were to be an accident" I really don't think he should take the risk and ride down south as some of the roads seem to be quite technical and advanced. With the vehicle not being registered or insured directly to him, if something nasty were to happen, he would be royally fu**ed. We just started talking about this the other day and were only thinking of how much fun it would be rather than really looking at the bigger picture of his situation.
Minus all the trolls on this thread that were more concerned about a simple spelling mistake, thank you!

Last edited:
I am here just to comment on the typo in the thread title. Its BORDER not BOARDER.
No other useful information to add.
You've been a member for 8 months and this is you're 18th post? I could have trolled you on your 1st post about the exhaust, but I'm not that kinda guy :lmao:

Last edited:
You've been a member for 8 months and this is you're 18th post? I could have trolled you on your 1st post about the exhaust, but I'm not that kinda guy :lmao:
Chill out buddy ,I was joking, not trolling.
Apologies if you were offended. Happy Friday :)

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

another GTAM thread reduced to garbage over nothing
is there anyone that was actually confused by a word having an extra vowel?

glad OP, that you and your friend are considering the risks

...he has a Cummins Diesel Dodge Ram

So sounds like your friend has an auto insurance policy himself (for the truck). This would cover himself for liability and medical. And the father's policy covers the motorcycle. So nothing offside there yet.

Now if the father were to make a claim on the m/c policy - the insurance company would object if the son was not declared as a resident (when the policy was written or if he moved in after the fact) - and would maybe not pay out on any collision/comprehensive.

If your friend's insurance co was the same as his father's - they would already know he was resident and maybe already included in the risk/premium calculation. If under a specific exclusion - then maybe the liability/medical coverage on the truck policy may be at risk?

*IANAL

anyone with a license can drive your vehicle isn't that what third-party insurance is.

Not when you live at the same address. Then they need to be listed under your policy as an occasional driver.

Whether he wrecks in Tennessee, or wrecks here, insurance will hang him out to dry.

What the OP's friend is doing is fraud, and the oldest trick in the book... like insurance would care though; its win-win for them. Collect the premium, with no real risk of ever having to pay out if an "incident" happens...

Look it up, call a broker...
anyone with a license can drive your vehicle isn't that what third-party insurance is.

Are cars different from bikes? My daughter wasn’t listed on the car policy, hit another vehicle... insurance says I’m ok with 1st accident so they cover all costs, and the issue with her driving without being listed was covered as 2nd forgiven accident allowed by my policy

Are cars different from bikes? My daughter wasn’t listed on the car policy, hit another vehicle... insurance says I’m ok with 1st accident so they cover all costs, and the issue with her driving without being listed was covered as 2nd forgiven accident allowed by my policy

Some day I will get back in touch with my buddy who had a left turn idiot take him and his bike out in Ohio. I want to get a list of the various compensations, stuff we are denied up here in the big O. Things only a nit picking lawyer could come up with.

He mentioned some stuff but since it was still going through the courts at the time he had been told not to discuss the case or his recovery from a few broken bones.

I recall full loss of wages even though his employer had benefits. The US lawyer pointed out that the benefits from his employer were for lost time due to an error by my friend, not some random bad driver. Up here we get $400 a week.

Another friend, an American riding down there got hit by an out of control semi and was suing for 5 million. Pain and suffering plus future side effects etc came into play.

My point is that a fender bender up here is chicken feed to the insurer so a detailed investigation may be unlikely for a few thousand. Insurers up here are ripping us off so badly they might pay out to avoid a scene that might expose their government authorized crap.

An at fault in the USA with life altering injuries may involve numbers that would start an investigation into the alleged fraud. If the US authorities got wind of the fraud while the rider was still in the USA it could get very nasty. Criminal charges? There's a lot of "Ifs" in the equation but every once in a while you run into a perfect storm.

The USA likes tourist dollars but when things go wrong they play hardball.

Here are a few thoughts and advice from someone who does a trip every year for the last decade or so. We've pretty much seen it all. Some things were learned the hard way, other issues were avoided through good preperation.

What we've learned:

- At the border, have the ownership of all bikes, the vehicle, and trailer in hand. Usually if you are forthcoming with it, it is not scrutunized very hard. If they have to ask for it and you need to go "find" it, you are goin to get qustions. Its rare, that someone will actually check the bikes, but it has happened.

- If the bike registration name is different than yours, don't vonteer the info, but bring a signed letter and be prepared to give it to them if they question the registration. I would take a photocopy of the dad's driver's license as well, just for good measure, to show willing participation. Show the addresses are the same. The point here is if you look prepared and provide documentation, generally the border guards are favourable.

- Trailer down with SS bike's, don't ride. The I-75 is a boring ride. A/C, nap time, and company are much more enjoyable. Going ~13 hours straight is taxing, its easy to make mistakes. Last thing you should really be doin is crossing the gap in a fatigued state. Being able to switch drivers is much safer.

- Put on fresh rubber before you leave. A.) You don't want a squared off tire and B.) You will use a fair bit of rubber down there

- The UHaul trailers are heavy, avoid them if you can. Ask uhaul if they allow you to cross the border, I am not sure if they allow it or not or what kind of documentation they give you. To answer your question, they will not give you a hassle becuase the bikes are on a trailer, this is common

- Have ample insurance. CAA and other vendors sell them for dirt cheap considering what can happen there. Helicopters are expensive. I can't stress this enough.

- The people are super friendly and there is great BBQ there. Ask the locals, they are usually pretty chatty.

It is real down there, things do happen. It's a lot of fun, but prepared. Only ride maybe 70%, there is no telling when a wide corvette, semi (they are not allowed up there, but literacy in the southern US is not that high), or group of sunday cyclists decided it would be fun. The point is there are a lot of variables, so keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom