Peel region - boulevard question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Peel region - boulevard question

LiNK666

Hi all

Just had a question regarding the rights of boulevard on home properties. The area between sidewalk and road.

I was walking my dog and some guy snapped because my dog peed on the boulevard grass area between sidewalk and road. He livid and cursing. I was laughing at him the entire time. All talk no action.

Anyways just curious what are rights regarding Blvd. I really try to have my dog walk on the Boulevard side instead of owner's property.

Also he was absolutely angry because he had built Interlock on the Boulevard and the dog stepped on it.

Don't care much about the interaction... It was funny. Just want to know what the rights are regarding the boulevard.

Based on most residential surveys I've seen throughout my career, the majority of private property lines extends to just the sidewalk or closer to the house/building making a small buffer of public space beyond. Sometimes they go to the curb, rarely, but some do.
But to actually answer your question regarding rights, I don't know if any owner can do anything if a pet uses your lawn as a bathroom. They could try and sue for trespassing and property damage? But this isn't the States....

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Get Off My Lawn! what an ******

best to contact Peel planning office for the definitive answer

I'm in Peel and I wanted to remove a Norway Maple on my boulevard and pay to have it replanted with a better tree and was told I can't because it's city property.

I wanted to remove my boulevard grass when I first moved and was told it had to be grass mowed to a specific height because it was on city property.
Just a year or two ago in Peel they started allowing owners to apply for an exemption to plant a low lying garden instead of grass as long as it met their specs of a non weedy mess that didn't impede sightlines and more.

So I would say that a homeowner could spend a lot of time and energy on trying to make their grass look really, good, but at the end of the day I would think they have no formal recourse for something like dog pee.

Yeah I'm wondering if it's legal to build an Interlock on the boulevard.

I'd be more than happy to call the city and complain. Peel inspectors are hard core.

Boulevard is an interesting place. The municipality owns it, the property owner has to maintain the grass. That homeowner can go screw himself. If he continues with his ****** attitude, the municipality probably wouldn't appreciate him hardscaping their property. They don't normally go looking, but if a complaint is received they go out and hand out the tickets requiring remediation.

For my house, the ROW is large enough to accommodate a sidewalk (there isn't one on my side which means that ~10' of my front lawn isn't mine). This is not at all obvious without looking at a survey.

I know people that installed in-ground sprinklers in the boulevard to keep the grass looking good. Municipality had work done that required tearing up the boulevard and they destroyed the in-ground sprinklers. Homeowner called the municipality to complain (expecting that the municipality would have the system repaired) and the municipality told them to pound salt. They basically said the homeowner was lucky they weren't getting in trouble for installing things within the ROW without asking for permission.

Yup, the Boulevard is not the homeowners portion, but it is expected to be maintained, basic grass cutting..

Typically homeowners portion of to where they own is usually where the main water shut off valve is, typically anything past it towards the road is owned by the municipality.

This why if you put anything up to the sidewalk, and it gets damaged, due to municipal work, or even from sidewalk cleaning, the city will not compensate you for it, as you are encroaching onto City property.

In other words ignore buddy, and let your dog do his business, now if it’s coming from the dogs other end, please be responsible and stoop and scoop...I am sure you do...

The boulevard is part of the 'Public Highway' and is basically public property. Walk your dog on the boulevard as much as you want. Tell the Irate home owner to screw off... Actually, the Public Highway extends aprox 2 feet past the sidewalk (if there is one) towards the home owners house... It's called 'The Reserve'. You could let your dog pee/shyte on that also... :lmao: Quite often, you will see fences/bushes etc. on a lot line separating two houses come a couple of feet shy of the sidewalk. Reason being is that the home owner is legally not alowed to obstruct the 'Reserve'.

Perfect. Just what I thought. I didn't really care what he said since I knew the boulevard had public access.

I'm curious if they are allowed to build an Interlock extension on it. Even if it's small.

if you can find/see the water line shutoff valve head, this is a typical indicator of the property line. Usually inboard of the sidewalk (nearer the house).

You'd have to check the municipal 'encroachment' bylaw to see what is allowed/not-allowed.

if you can find/see the water line shutoff valve head, this is a typical indicator of the property line. Usually inboard of the sidewalk (nearer the house).

You'd have to check the municipal 'encroachment' bylaw to see what is allowed/not-allowed.

I'm trying to see online but brampton.ca is down. I'll call them this afternoon launch a complaint if I can.

Somehow 33 feet from the centreline of the roadway sticks in my mind for one municipality as road allowance but the water shut off is a pretty simple alternative. People assume a lot regarding what they own.

Some municipalities won't allow concrete paving on their portion of a driveway because in the event of a water main break it can't be quickly dug up like asphalt or interlock. yeah the sidewalk is concrete but................

I'm curious if they are allowed to build an Interlock extension on it. Even if it's small.

I'd bet $ that they aren't allowed to. He started the pissing match (so to speak), get bylaw involved and make him remove the interlock.

Walked there today again with my dog. No crazy dude. Did notice he had an illegal side entrance for his house.

I'll see if he starts another pissing match. Got enough on him to know it'll cost him a couple of thousand in fines if he decides to go at it again.

Why are biker always such A.H.s?
Try and get along with your neighbour, let him be the A.H.

I'll see if he starts another pissing match. Got enough on him to know it'll cost him a couple of thousand in fines if he decides to go at it again.

Uh-Ohhhh... someone opened Pandora's Box... :lmao:

Perfect. Just what I thought. I'm curious if they are allowed to build an Interlock extension on it. Even if it's small.

Be careful with the interlocking extension, he may have permission from the By-law Dept. to have it there. My guess is, tho, probably not. Many peeps 'Believe', wrongly-so, that the 'boulevard', is part of their property, and therefore, can do anything they want with it... "I maintain it, so it's Mine..." Ahhh sorry, but No!

If the interlock has been illegally installed, the Works Dept. can remove it at any time if they need to dig there. Or, if there were a complaint made, and would put sod back in its place.

However, I have found that the By-law Dept. tends to protect the 'Offender', rather than 'Up-hold' the Law. This is probably due to laziness. They don't want to get off their back-sides to go and investigate...

Last edited:
In general:

Actual "owned" property starts about 6 ish feet (2m I guess now) on the house side of the side walk or road depending on the case (6 feet from the side walk towards the house). If you look you will likely find your property bar there (steel bar painted orange). The water shut off and sewer clean out/access will also roughly along this line. Any tree in this zone is owned by the region/city. Pipe bursts here it is the region/city that has to fix it. On your side it is all your problem.

Here is the big BUT...

In most jurisdictions the home owner is responsible to maintain the lawn etc. in this zone including the boulevard. They have to cut the grass, remove snow on the city side walk etc...

So while he does not "own" this land, he has to maintain it. It is a total dick move to make the home owner's life more difficult by killing the grass with your dogs piss. Typical dog owner sense of entitlement (worse than the homeowner's in this case), why is the world your dogs toilet? Train it to do its business in your own yard...

In general:

Actual "owned" property starts about 6 ish feet (2m I guess now) on the house side of the side walk or road depending on the case (6 feet from the side walk towards the house). If you look you will likely find your property bar there (steel bar painted orange). The water shut off and sewer clean out/access will also roughly along this line. Any tree in this zone is owned by the region/city. Pipe bursts here it is the region/city that has to fix it. On your side it is all your problem.

Here is the big BUT...

In most jurisdictions the home owner is responsible to maintain the lawn etc. in this zone including the boulevard. They have to cut the grass, remove snow on the city side walk etc...

So while he does not "own" this land, he has to maintain it. It is a total dick move to make the home owner's life more difficult by killing the grass with your dogs piss. Typical dog owner sense of entitlement (worse than the homeowner's in this case), why is the world your dogs toilet? Train it to do its business in your own yard...

Does an occasional dog watering destroy a lawn? We get more raccoon crap and it's worse.

The city can fine you if you don't shovel the snow from your walk but the supreme court apparently decided that a city can't put the liability of a fall on the home owner.

Back
Top Bottom