Do Not Call Registry | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do Not Call Registry

nobbie48

Site Supporter
I'm on the list but I still get calls from Michael from Duct Cleaning Services. He doesn't specifically name the company he's representing so how does one nail the originators hide to the wall. How big are the fines? How often are they handed out.

I know the calls come from outside the country and prosecuting them would be virtually impossible but I can't hire a foreign hit man to bump off someone (letter bomb etc) here that I don't like and get away with it. Nail the originator.

Exceptions: Charities, Political Calls, Surveys.

The charities we get are used clothing dealers that throw in CF, MD or some other charity related name in an attempt to legitimize the call. Ask them for a registered charitable organization number and they spin you off to a wild goose chase.

Surveys: Why do they get special treatment other than government census type calls? If you need to know something I'd be pleased to answer your questions. Please submit them in writing along with a cheque for the appropriate amount. You need me. I don't need you.

Politicians. Copy their email address and send them a meaningful question. You will get a "Thank you for you input" reply. If they aren't going to answer your questions why bother contracting you?

The 'Do Not Call List' is a joke.
I got a call from Bell wanting me to upgrade - they don't even follow their own rules ???
All you can do is watch for call display and hang up.

Get Ooma and add the numbers to the blacklist as they show up. It gets quieter and quieter as time goes by.

I'm on the list but I still get calls from Michael from Duct Cleaning Services. He doesn't specifically name the company he's representing so how does one nail the originators hide to the wall. How big are the fines? How often are they handed out.

Sting operation is the only way I can think of. Set up an appointment, have enforcement (not sure who) there to make the arrest. Then follow the money.

Problem is, I think the "do not call" system is too useless to be able to handle something like that.

There is no way, in this day and age, with the technology that we have availalble, that the phone network should not be capable of tracing the exact path of any phone call, from which telephone dialed the call to which telephone rang. But, somehow, this is seemingly not possible to do.

One. Ditch the phone if you don’t want to receive calls.

Two. Screen your calls. Update the contact list and only answer calls from someone you put in contacts.

Get rid of the land line. Cell numbers will get calls but, not as much.

The way I deal will calls, I answer and tell them it’s a business. They apologize and hang up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

get rid of the landline
on the cell, answer only those on your contact list
and get rid of voice mail, the 80's are long gone

I've never gotten a call from a Michael that does ducts. #JustSayin

Any call from an auto dialer, I hang up.
They are easy to detect, there is a 2-3 second pause after you answer.
I just hang up.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Spooky true story long before caller ID.

A family I knew, mom and dad at home and the phone rings, mom answers but can't understand the what the guys babbling on about. Dad takes the phone and asks the guy if he's drunk. He's about to hang up when he recognizes his son's voice. His son had a stroke. 911 etc and his son survives. I think about that when I get the dead air calls as there are some unhealthy people in the family.

I went to the DNC site and there have been some substantial fines but not high in volume. I wonder how many people are in the department and how much it costs to fine a dozen or so people a year.

Get Ooma and add the numbers to the blacklist as they show up. It gets quieter and quieter as time goes by.

That does not really solve the problem for standard carrier issues.

Ooma is Voip so is not going to help anyone with a rogers,bell etc bundle.

No different than suggesting just cancel phone. No more calls.

Sometimes a landline is required for various reasons and people just do not want it abused.

Ask if his last name is Hunt.

Then say "You, suck Mike Hunt". *crickets*

Anyway, when I was in telemarketing a decade ago, the company bought phone lists from Bell. A lot of people that were cold-called had said that they had added themselves to the DNC list (and usually threaten legal action - which never happened). We added them to our local DNC list, but there would be hundreds or even thousands of lists out there that weren't updated as of the registration (It's not like the numbers are retrieved from an updated database). We usually tried to explain just so the person at the end of the phone may receive calls from other companies, but usually, people don't want to hear it.

At the time, I remember hearing that people actually received more calls since registering for the DNC list.

If you haven't changed your number since then, those lists have been sold, and re-sold in places where we can't touch.

Also, it's pretty much impossible to stop internet calls from coming in.

Last edited:
@Nobbie48 I understand that issue, and I know that when my MIL calls, there is a pause, but imo you can hear the difference between an auto dialer call from a regular call.

@Kedo - yup. I have a 6 year old. His father is a fat bastid that could have a heart attack at any time (actually probably not as I just had an angio-graphy and the arteries are all clear) and I want him to be able to pick up any phone, dial 911, and have them locate us. My overpriced landline will be here for a few years yet.

@Kedo - yup. I have a 6 year old. His father is a fat bastid that could have a heart attack at any time (actually probably not as I just had an angio-graphy and the arteries are all clear) and I want him to be able to pick up any phone, dial 911, and have them locate us. My overpriced landline will be here for a few years yet.

Thx Joe, Good example., as well as limited cell in some new condos with the concrete etc.
Personally I have not had a tele for over 20 years BUT for the last few years we had to have a landline for her work (medical profession on call) and needed to ensure reachable at all time.
On a side note...I rarely answer it if she is not home as its usually Spam....but once again that is missing the whole DNC point.

That does not really solve the problem for standard carrier issues.

Ooma is Voip so is not going to help anyone with a rogers,bell etc bundle.

No different than suggesting just cancel phone. No more calls.

Sometimes a landline is required for various reasons and people just do not want it abused.

Ooma is my landline, I had the number ported over from Bell.

Many offshore scammers are using the do not call list to get a list of valid phone numbers. Duct cleaning, Fake Microsoft, Fake CRA, whatever scam etc. Blocking numbers does not work well because they spoof their offshore numbers to be local... Nothing you say to them means anything (threats, they are offshore). Being on the DNCL list likely increases your chances of getting these calls.

They also use an autodialer (the person is NOT calling you directly), that is why when you answer you say hello and there is a pause before someone responds. The autodialer dials your number (from a database)-a number every x seconds, if there is a pickup it sends you to the next available "operator". You will also notice that sometimes it is just dropped (you say hello and a couple if seconds later the line is dropped), the autodialer called you but all the operators were tied up so your call gets dropped.

Lots of legit exceptions including any company you have done business with in the past. Charities, newspapers, polls, etc. So if you have (or had) Bell they are allowed to call you (as an example). Many of them also use an autodialer BTW...

-If the phone rings LD but the number is local do not pickup (or pickup and immediately hangup), or use the disconnect tone (see below), it is a scammer spoofing (same way as SWATting BTW) their number. DNCL does nothing for scammers and you may even get more...
-If the number calling you has the same local exchange as you do (for example 416 234 XXXX calls you and your number is 416 234 5678), likely spoofed so same as above. They figure you will pick up local.
-If you have a good quality answering machine you can add the disconnect triple tone to the beginning of your message, many autodialers will remove your number from the calling database (they think it is disconnected).
-No point in calling back etc. because the number is likely spoofed if a scammer.
-If there is a pause after you say hello, hangup it is a autodialer (legit or not).

Other things you can do:
-Waste the scammers time on the phone which will mean the autodialer will drop someone else's call and they are less likely to scam someone else.

As for the disconnect tone, some autodialers have caught on. It does work, I once got a nasty threatening letter from my bank (mortgage) because I did not update my phone number on my account. Disconnect tone fooled their autodialer...

Last edited:
For the duct cleaning, the actual cleaning will be done by someone in Canada. If they are violating the law they shouldn't be able to charge for the service.

Re the used clothes pick up I was thinking of saving my unwashed threadbare socks and underwear for them, all nicely boxed with any other garbage on hand.

For the duct cleaning, the actual cleaning will be done by someone in Canada. If they are violating the law they shouldn't be able to charge for the service.

Re the used clothes pick up I was thinking of saving my unwashed threadbare socks and underwear for them, all nicely boxed with any other garbage on hand.

Duct cleaning is usually get your credit card on the phone and no one shows up... I am sure they may have been exceptions.

BTW, once the "verified" list of numbers are out in the wild, your cell phones will also get the calls (many already do). Scammers don't care cell or landline... It is just a number to them. Landline number lists are just out there more.

Back
Top Bottom