So much chrome! | GTAMotorcycle.com

So much chrome!

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
I’ve been looking at joining the cruiser world but there’s so much damn chrome on most bikes! Not a fan at all as I prefer more subtle items!

any suggestions on little chrome on bikes? I love the 883 Iron and Nightster but price is way beyond my budget. Looking at no more than 4K.

have seen the Shadow 750RS which I like and seems like a smaller size similar to a Sportster.

any thoughts or experience with the Shadows here? The pricing isn’t much more than a newer Rebel or VSTAR250.

if anyone has a Shadow or RS that I can just sit on I’d be forever grateful in the GTA.

thanks!

There are some pretty good mid-weight bikes that have blacked out options for "near" your price range. Vulcans, Bolts, etc. Even more if your push up to that 1200 cc plus range, but pricing does tend to jump.

Can always black out the chrome with paint, powdercoat or plastidip

Add spray-on bedliner to the list as well.
I had the same feeling a while back when a few buddied wanted to try midweight cruisers. One bought a Shadow, another a Vstar 650 - I bought a Suzuki M50. All were less than 5k used.

Shadow: chrome, and spokes. Most chrome, spoked wheels. Well mannered, easiest to ride, lowest performance.
M50: Blacked out, only chrome was the pipes and bars. Best performance and suspension, most muscular looking of all middleweights.
Vstar 650: Lowest performance, lightest feeling, best build. Carbed.

While I bought the M50, If I was to do it again I'd go for the Vstar. Yamaha dependability, it also got about 30% better mileage and killer range -- 400km/tank and despite being small, it was more of a riders (vs posers) bike.

I discounted the Kawi and Harley mostly because I value dependability and ride quality the most.

Cycleworld on Sheppard and McCowan usually has a fleet of small cruisers in all makes. Good place to compare.

The last 5 years, the fashion has been to black out or matt black stuff.

You can find a Sportster in the 4K range and it won’t be too chromed up. Just avoid the Custom as that is the flash chromed out version.

I believe FI was introduced in 2007.

Many have the “black” engine and frame, lost the chrome cow bell horn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heat resistant spray paint would work. I know it's a hassle, but powdercoating would be your best bet. Had a bunch of thing powder coated on my STI when I was younger....downpipe, up pipe, exhaust manifold, intake manifold etc. Still looked like the day I did it after 150,000kms. Powder coating is also very nice because it is strong and can take a pretty good beating without chipping off

^^
You powder coated, or ceramic coated?
Two very different things.

The Shadow Phantom is blacked out as well. One of the members here has one. And you can take my bike for a boot anytime. Give me a shout.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

The Shadow Phantom is blacked out as well. One of the members here has one. And you can take my bike for a boot anytime. Give me a shout.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

thanks JB! Might take you up on that in short order!

I like the Phantom but the RS seems like a better fit as from what I'm seeing it's a more compact package. Unfortunately at $1400/year insurance....might have to wait while I remove my gap insurance of 2 months.

thanks JB! Might take you up on that in short order!

I like the Phantom but the RS seems like a better fit as from what I'm seeing it's a more compact package. Unfortunately at $1400/year insurance....might have to wait while I remove my gap insurance of 2 months.

I thought they were only allowed to use gap to jack rates if it was over 1 year (or maybe 6 months)?

I thought they were only allowed to use gap to jack rates if it was over 1 year (or maybe 6 months)?

Not sure but I will confirm before committing and shopping around still. Seems unreasonable to have a gap of 2 months make any changes .... hell people sell bikes and take time to buy new ones.

Just back to riding after recent surgery. Took my longest ride yesterday and saw nothing but chromed bikes at most places I stopped. Stopped in at Timmies in Stoney Creek. Three chromed Harleys. Tbh, I think they looked absolutely gorgeous. Guess it is a matter of personal choice. I ride a Ducati Diavel and anything that looks shiny is blacked out. I.e. hose clamps, generally small items.
For me a fully chromed bike takes an awful lot of maintenance. Sort of like being married.
Spoilt for choice. Bikes, not Women/Men.
Would like to know what are your top choices.

Chrome is easy to keep nice and clean over black. Just say n.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to enjoy polishing the chrome when I had a cruiser. It was relaxing. I'd take the bike out in the driveway on a Friday evening, wash it, dry it and shine it. I'd have a beer or two, take my time. When it's all said and done they look fantastic and you get a lot of compliments on your handy work when you show up for a ride with your group Saturday morning.

Now that I have an ST1300 I can wash it and dry it in under 20 min so I don't usually bother with a beer anymore!

Chrome is not that difficult to maintain. When I figure it isn't going to snow any more this winter, but it's still too cold to ride, it's time for the chrome work.
Clean the chrome thoroughly with a mild soap, Don't forget the parts under the body even though they may not show.
Rinse well. Dry with a cloth. Take a beer break so the chrome is 100% dry before proceeding,
Apply a light coat of chrome polish. Let it turn cloudy and then remove.
Then apply a coat of Turtle or another car wax.
Your chrome will stay shiny and beautiful for the full season and it only needs a wet cloth on dirty chrome to keep it shiny.

Back
Top Bottom