Unmarked Police Vehicles | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Unmarked Police Vehicles

I’d rather unmarked vehicle over cameras.

Totally agree with this.

Don't forget that unmarked cars are also good for patrolling in some areas when they are looking for illegal activity but don't want to roll through with a fully marked car. It often tips off folks as to what's going on.

As for seeing the same vehicle in the same intersection day after day nabbing drivers for various offences, there's a reason for that. Clearly drivers in the area aren't getting the message. If drivers in that intersection weren't constantly committing various offences there wouldn't be a vehicle stationed there daily. In Peterborough there is usually a marked car that spends it's day patrolling Lansdowne St from one end of town to the others and is constantly busting drivers for running red lights, using cell phones, speeding etc and it doesn't bother me one bit and I wouldn't care if they used an unmarked car. Lansdowne St can be a dangerous place to drive and needs to be policed.

If you choose to look at this as a revenue tool and not a safety tool, that's fine. Just remember that there is an up side to that too. So called "sin taxes" like moving violation tickets and the taxes on smokes and booze are the reason you don't pay more income tax than you already do. If everyone suddenly obeyed every driving law and quite smoking and drinking the gov't would need to tax you way more to cover the loss in revenue!

thing is just because there are unmarked cops, doesn't mean they are for traffic violations
Maybe they are undercover, to catch drug dealers? More to law enforcement than just traffic

... ya that's it, they are cruising the public roads for really really stupid drug dealers who wave cars down on public roads to sell them illicit drugs.

European vs North American approach to traffic enforcement. Proactive vs Reactive.

If vehicles were brightly coloured and visible from the moon people would behave themselves and there would be less revenue collection.

They have lots of unmarked cop cars in Europe also lots of hidden photo radars.

The photo radar sites I encountered were well documented.

Signs stating there is a photo radar zone ahead
My GPS warned me of a photo radar zone ahead
The cameras themselves are mounted on posts in plain sight

It's a very different attitude.

Those are static/permanent ones usually in urban areas. There is nothing like this around here. People would yell and scream if we had those around here.
There are still plenty mobile photo radars in cop cars around in Europe.

It was more of a reply to your reference to Europe - That is definitely not "around here".

caboose56 started the Europe - N/A comparison...I was responding ;)

We just have to be thankful we don't have the fixed mounted camera system like they have In Queensland, Australia. They have cameras on just about every highway overpass, and with so many, people just end up toiling around at the speed limit, what else can you do without getting ticketed... . At least here We have the ability to "open it up" when we would like to, and take a calculated risk of being caught. lol.. Which , on the 401 across town would be rare. I've never seen OPP/Police in the past 15 years "patrolling" the 401 across town.. other than attending to an accident. One other thing that is a hindrance are the clowns sitting in the left lane at below the speed of of the flow of traffic. :-\

Who remembers the cadmium yellow Caravelle cruisers? When the officers were uniformed as police officers? Blue shirt, pants with red stripe, service revolver discreetly holstered? Now we suffer paramilitary cosplayers in stealth cruisers who drive worse than cabbies (along with TTC drivers, I am sorry to report). Look the part, act the part, as the saying goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMXnu1cgss

The name of that yellow squad car? Albert Einstein.

thing is just because there are unmarked cops, doesn't mean they are for traffic violations

Maybe they are undercover, to catch drug dealers? More to law enforcement than just traffic
They are not undercover because they are in uniform in the unmarked car. I'd know, cherries lit up on the Dodge Ram (not to mention he blasted through a red cause he though I was going to run). I was very pleasant, pulled over, helmet off, keys on ground, and explained to him exactly why I got pulled over and I knew what I did wrong. He let me off with a verbal warning (still shows in their system, but beats stunt driving). As he was walking away he noticed my plate was tucked in a bit (I have a plate flipper), he straightened it out giggled and said "that's better" LOL! At least he was a nice cop.

I travel the 407 a lot - like every weekday and there's always a bunch of cops there. Marked, unmarked; cruising and parked with radar gun out. The funny thing is I still see a lot of people blowing by me like I'm standing still (I'm usually 120ish) and yet rarely see anyone getting flat-bedded away. This would include cars and bikes. Yesterday, an SS went by going so fast I couldn't even tell the make or model it was. Fully expected to see it pulled over at some point but .... nope!

I travel the 407 a lot .... Yesterday, an SS went by going so fast I couldn't even tell the make or model it was. Fully expected to see it pulled over at some point but .... nope!

Don't need to; they have his photo, have his route, have his travel time, his summons is probably in today's mail.

Keep reading under policies:
"We may also use or disclose your Personal Information, when necessary, to:
  1. Aid in an emergency where a person's life, health or security is at stake
  2. Respond to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or the request of a governmental authority with proper jurisdiction
  3. Comply, or support or facilitate compliance with, relevant laws and regulations"

Who remembers the cadmium yellow Caravelle cruisers? When the officers were uniformed as police officers? Blue shirt, pants with red stripe, service revolver discreetly holstered? Now we suffer paramilitary cosplayers in stealth cruisers who drive worse than cabbies (along with TTC drivers, I am sorry to report). Look the part, act the part, as the saying goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMXnu1cgss

The name of that yellow squad car? Albert Einstein.

Don't forget Blinky

I've seen an unmarked 1996-2000 dodge caravan pull over someone on Kipling and Burnhamthorpe last year

I've seen an unmarked 1996-2000 dodge caravan pull over someone on Kipling and Burnhamthorpe last year

perfect vehicle to blend into that 'hood

Unmarked cruiser for undercover work? No. Those vehicles aren't interchangable.

Don't need to; they have his photo, have his route, have his travel time, his summons is probably in today's mail.
The best the cops could do is get the vehicle info from 407, they'd still have to catch the offender in the act. So they might do it for a repeat offender, especially an aggressive one. But everyone speeds at least a little and hardly anybody gets ticketed for it. So that summons in the mail isn't gonna happen.

Marked, unmarked, who cares...

If you aren't breaking any laws then you have nothing to worry about right?

Marked, unmarked, who cares...

If you aren't breaking any laws then you have nothing to worry about right?

I should have just gotten into government instead. Nanny state providing for all, govt keeps getting bigger, and who wouldn't want long term security and a good income?

Back
Top Bottom