best cellular provider for motorcycle tracker? | GTAMotorcycle.com

best cellular provider for motorcycle tracker?

amp3d

Site Supporter
Just wondering what company you guys use for sim cards for tracking devices?
Just wondering which cellular provider would be the most cost efficient route to go!

You need a SIM card to be able to communicate with it remotely ... GPS does jack if you're bike is stolen and you're nowhere near it to know where it is.

Bell/Telus share the most complete GSM network in Canada
some of the no frills telcos piggyback on that network
Virgin, Koodoo, may be some others

I think we are talking about two different devices.. I'm talking about Spot et al and yes they have two way communication without a cell network.

I work in the GPS tracking industry. Most vehicle trackers in the market are based on a combination of satellite and cellular. Satellite for getting location and cellular to transmit data to servers. Solely satellite based trackers or personal trackers (spot) are pretty expensive for vehicle tracking use. As for the the cell carrier, I believe Telus or Bell would be your best coverage.

I work in the GPS tracking industry. Most vehicle trackers in the market are based on a combination of satellite and cellular. Satellite for getting location and cellular to transmit data to servers. Solely satellite based trackers or personal trackers (spot) are pretty expensive for vehicle tracking use. As for the the cell carrier, I believe Telus or Bell would be your best coverage.

Yup, all the gps tracking devices I've looked at have support for sim cards which is how you interact with it.

I guess I should have been more clear, was just wondering if any of these providers have cheap plans for devices such as this. In the USA they have some specific plans for these devices.

I'm actually shocked at the confusion over this. I thought everyone had trackers on their bikes these days, surely I can't be the only tech nerd out there that does this!

a data only flex plan would prolly be the best bet
can't imagine there's much bandwidth up and down

I have that arrangement with Virgin on the Bell/Telus network
up to a gig it's 10/month, ranges up accordingly based on usage
but it is far more economical than a data add on to a voice package

I know people with Epirbs and Spots and others. No riders with a data tracker.
Are you really that concerned about theft ???

I think we are talking about two different devices.. I'm talking about Spot et al and yes they have two way communication without a cell network.
Actually Spot is one way...UNLESS you are talking about their brand new Spot X. Both the Trace and Gen 3 are one way only.

Yup, all the gps tracking devices I've looked at have support for sim cards which is how you interact with it.

I guess I should have been more clear, was just wondering if any of these providers have cheap plans for devices such as this. In the USA they have some specific plans for these devices.

I'm actually shocked at the confusion over this. I thought everyone had trackers on their bikes these days, surely I can't be the only tech nerd out there that does this!

Once your bike is inside a vehicle or building and quite possibly covered with a foil/Mylar/metal blanket your gps is useless. If it’s taken from underground parking it’ll likely never register as being taken.

Actually Spot is one way...UNLESS you are talking about their brand new Spot X. Both the Trace and Gen 3 are one way only.

Delorme inreach (now Garmin) are two way. I have one. I can send satellite text messages to the wife/emergency services/anyone and receive messages back I believe as well as using the SOS function

I know people with Epirbs and Spots and others. No riders with a data tracker.
Are you really that concerned about theft ???

Well, I had one bike stolen when I lived in a condo (so yes, I'm concerned about theft).

I'm in a house now though, where the bike cannot be stolen without notifying me if using a two-way system.

My truck has one, and I've actually caught people breaking into it before :D

Having a good two-way pager on any vehicle is never a waste of money. The GPS tracker is just an added bonus (so if I'm parked downtown or in a mall I'll know the bike moved via sms).

If they want a bike, they can get it. I'm not saying bikes can't be stolen. I'm saying there are things you can do for peace of mind and to deter. Realistically, I'm not worried about theft at my house, rather out and about.

For what it's worth, I've also tracked stolen/lost cell phones with data/gps based trackers (check out https://www.cerberusapp.com/). This stuff really works. I've actually debated putting an android device in my bike specifically for this program. It' $5 for a lifetime subscription and even allows you to track speed in real time, record audio, even turn on the camera remotely.

Edit: I stand corrected about the above cerberus pricing. It used to be a one time $5 fee, I must be grandfathered in.

Last edited:
SPOT has a product called the SPOT Trace, I believe that can be used for theft tracking and is solely satellite based. Its still around $15 per month (maybe USD).

That's not bad - but it's $130 US for the device plus $15 a month.

https://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=128

If $15 included device rental might be a consideration.

I should really have a DeLorme

61w0YWJ-C0L._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-inReach-SE-Satellite-Tracker/dp/B00BX7TJ2O

What is the cost per month and can you just buy the months you need?

NVM found it

https://explore.garmin.com/en-CA/inreach/

Monthly Freedom plans are ideal for your next adventure or seasonal use, requiring only a 30-day commitment with the ability to suspend service when you don’t need it.

$20 a month no contract

Last edited:
For what it's worth guys, I ended up buying a dedicated 10,000mah android device that is waterproof here:

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_733413.html?wid=1817324

According to the some tech sites, the phone is able to last up to 33 days on LTE, 55 Days on 3G, and 77 days on 2g.

Just waiting for it to arrive. :D

In the meantime, on my other android phone I was able to install gps tracking software that uses both GPS and cellular, AND wifi which actually works great when at home or parked around areas that have known networks.
I can control all aspects of the tracking in real time, even see the speed, the device is travelling at and where it's headed. I can also remotely control the device via vnc/teamviewer based services.

In addition to the awesome tracking stuff, I was able to set up tilt sensors and use the accelerometers to send me push notifications, emails, AND sms messages to my personal device.

Basically, the ultimate custom tracking unit.

The downside is, I still need to pick a mobile carrier and plan. Right now I have it all running on wifi.
Pretty stoked!!

When I finally get it the way I want it, I might make a tutorial if others are interested in doing similar stuff. I highly recommend if you're a techy like myself, you look into the Tasker app for android to utilize all those features for custom installs.

Last edited:
That's not bad - but it's $130 US for the device plus $15 a month.

https://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=128

If $15 included device rental might be a consideration.

I should really have a DeLorme

61w0YWJ-C0L._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-inReach-SE-Satellite-Tracker/dp/B00BX7TJ2O

What is the cost per month and can you just buy the months you need?

NVM found it

https://explore.garmin.com/en-CA/inreach/

$20 a month no contract

also you can suspend service for about $3.50 a month for 6 months.

Picking up one tomorrow...happy partner in Australia will know where I am and useful for out of cell range trips in Canada in the US....since we are going to Chile and driving for 3 weeks next spring will be useful there as well.

Wonder if I can peddle my old satellite phone never used.

Decided to go with Fido for 15 a month, got free tablet and google home mini and some other promo stuff essentially making my service cost me about 1.25/month :D

Was able to tie the motorcycle into the home automation system for some pretty awesome security and smart bike functionality :D

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

For what it's worth guys, I ended up buying a dedicated 10,000mah android device that is waterproof here:

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_733413.html?wid=1817324

According to the some tech sites, the phone is able to last up to 33 days on LTE, 55 Days on 3G, and 77 days on 2g.

Just waiting for it to arrive. :D

In the meantime, on my other android phone I was able to install gps tracking software that uses both GPS and cellular, AND wifi which actually works great when at home or parked around areas that have known networks.
I can control all aspects of the tracking in real time, even see the speed, the device is travelling at and where it's headed. I can also remotely control the device via vnc/teamviewer based services.

In addition to the awesome tracking stuff, I was able to set up tilt sensors and use the accelerometers to send me push notifications, emails, AND sms messages to my personal device.

Basically, the ultimate custom tracking unit.

The downside is, I still need to pick a mobile carrier and plan. Right now I have it all running on wifi.
Pretty stoked!!

When I finally get it the way I want it, I might make a tutorial if others are interested in doing similar stuff. I highly recommend if you're a techy like myself, you look into the Tasker app for android to utilize all those features for custom installs.

Just wondering how happy you are with your setup? Is it still the same or have you made changes/improvements in terms of hardware, apps, service provider or task automation?

Curious as to the apps you are using in addition to Tasker and what each one is used for.

Thanks in advance for the update .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom