Test riding before buying? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Test riding before buying?

Its a clean bike, but half the upgrades on that bike dont matter. Tires are nice, brake lines, new master cylinder.

Everything else(fancy underglow lights, fender elim, levers etc) is worthless. Dont expect to get any money back on mods.

at a closer look, those dont even look like Q3s. So either he is lying or those pictures are old.

Willing to also bet at 30k, he hasn't done the all important valve service as well.

You can also get nice ones for a lot cheaper than 6 grand. So it is overpriced

by the looks of that rear tire
seller is not big on corners

you are dreaming to expect test rides....the only way is to show up with full payment in cash...

That’s what I always expect - to show up with full cash in hand to test the bike.
This isn’t a dealership where they’ll stand behind the word with nothing is wrong.
There are alot of sketchy people out there and even after testing you may not catch something wrong with it until you bring it home.

I’ve sold plenty of bikes and I’ve always expected the same. If you want to test ride it, I’ll need the cash in my hands.

Even a just a cruise down the street would suffice for me. I think that’s enough for me to tell for the most part...

Not my idea but I got it from on here a while ago. The last bike of mine I sold I wrote on the bill of sale the buyer could return the bike in 24 hours with under 100km ridden. The buyer was happy with that and it worked for me.

Of the 7 street bikes I've owned I test rode one of them and that's because the seller offered so I figured why not.

cash in hand and 9 times out of 10 you'll test ride it

Just my luck to get the 1/10

I don’t care what you guys say.. something is wrong with this bike or this guy is a total retard.
what is the difference between ‘buying the bike and returning it’ and having the cash to test ride it.

I don’t care what you guys say.. something is wrong with this bike or this guy is a total retard.
what is the difference between ‘buying the bike and returning it’ and having the cash to test ride it.

The difference is liability is on the new owner once there is a signed bill of sale and money has changed hands. Without it the owner of the bike would be responsible if anything happened on the test ride.

If you don't like the terms of the deal move on to another bike.

Last edited:

not on the same page, and you call the guy a r*****
ever wonder, that maybe it's you that has the problem?

Just move on. More than one bike for sale out there.

A discussion can still be had whether I’m currently looking at other bikes or not..
For example examining his point of view and what could and could not be a problem, which will lead better used-vehicle purchasing experiences for anyone who reads.

Feel free to agree with me or to call me a retard and tell me why he may have a point or if I’m missing something.
But tell me to move on because other bikes are out there is just plain stupid.

Last edited:
There is no way in hell i'm buying a private sale bike without testing it. I would provide full payment (cash/bank draft) and my licence before i got the keys.

Anyone who still refused could find another buyer.

I wouldn't expect any less from anyone looking to buy a bike from me.

Would you be willing to post a million dollar bond in case something went wrong?

That’s what I always expect - to show up with full cash in hand to test the bike.
This isn’t a dealership where they’ll stand behind the word with nothing is wrong.
There are alot of sketchy people out there and even after testing you may not catch something wrong with it until you bring it home.

if someone is so sketchy that you think they maybe hiding defects / damage i would not like the idea of handing this person several thousand dollars in cash.
They may just have some buddys rob you or using a fake address (like a vacant house) to sell a damaged or even stolen bike. Do you run the VIN before you
show up with cash to a complete stranger?

if someone is so sketchy that you think they maybe hiding defects / damage i would not like the idea of handing this person several thousand dollars in cash.
They may just have some buddys rob you or using a fake address (like a vacant house) to sell a damaged or even stolen bike. Do you run the VIN before you
show up with cash to a complete stranger?

Normally you should test something before you buy. Money in hand and you probably will be given the opportunity to test ride. If you drop the bike you buy it, if you somehow get into an accident they claim stolen, if they take your money and run me and my boys are gonna knock that *** out

I always allow test rides when I'm selling a bike. I also offer to deliver it to their favorite mechanic for a quick inspection. Conditions are simple.

1) I need to see your M licence.
2) I'm going with you. I jump on another bike and lead.
3) Your car keys, licence, and $2000 cash deposit stay with me. I always up my insurance to accident forgiveness and $1000 deductible on collision/comp before selling. You get the deposit back as long as I get the bike back in exactly the same condition.

Then I take them for a run. 5 minutes in traffic, 5 on the open road and 5 on the freeway.

Surprisingly few buyers actually want a test ride. Maybe the offer itself shows there's nothing I'm hiding.

In case something went wrong with what?

TURN ON YOUR HEARING AID. IN CASE THE INSURANCE COMPANY BAILS ON A TECHNICALITY. IN CASE THERE'S AN AT FAULT AND YOU GET STUCK WITH MASSIVE FUTURE PREMIUMS.

My bike, my life, my rules. Do what you want with yours.

TURN ON YOUR HEARING AID. IN CASE THE INSURANCE COMPANY BAILS ON A TECHNICALITY. IN CASE THERE'S AN AT FAULT AND YOU GET STUCK WITH MASSIVE FUTURE PREMIUMS.

My bike, my life, my rules. Do what you want with yours.

In case you actually respond with something worth reading? Not going to hold my breathe.

UPDATE:

I played along for educational purposes. After him denying me a test riding the bike with full cash in hand I ask him why and got this..

So i think its safe to say many people in this thread was giving him the benefit of the doubt... (believing insurance purposes)
dudes a tool idc.

Last edited:
I don't get the hang up with test riding a bike...

Would you buy a car without a test drive?

Why is everyone immediately worried that your bike is going for a tumble the instant someone else rides it?

Would you sell a car without allowing the buyer a test drive?

I don't even understand dealerships that don't allow test rides for a serious buyer.

Like sure, let me pay 12k+ for a new bike I've never ridden and may hate once I do...

@MadMike gets it

How many guys/ gals that are married DID NOT take their spouse for a test ride before tying the knot?
A show of hands will be fine.
#NuffSaid

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom