What's a Sanctuary Province and how much does it cost? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's a Sanctuary Province and how much does it cost?

Minimum wage increase was stupid and screwed up a already tight labour market why would you work in manufacturing and get dirty when you can make 14 soon becoming 15 an hour anywhere. As an employer in the manufacturing industry in Ontario there are no employees available and every company i know of is struggling to find anyone with any skill or motivation to work. I have actually considering shutting down the part of the company that needs skilled workers due to the lack of available employees. Personally i know of thousands of unfilled reasonably well paying job openings in the private sector.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

you want skilled people and expect to pay them minimum wage?
if you can't recruit anyone, it's because you don't/can't pay enough

if your business model includes the lowest paid workers you can find
so you can be the cheapest supplier to your potential clients
don't blame the work force, the business plan is the problem

If everyone on the planet decided to share equally, both benefits and responsibilities, we would be in great shape. The problem is that very few want to put all their cards on the table. Would you trust everyone to do the right thing? All it takes is one holdout to ruin a system.

Go watch the Dirty Money series on Netflix and you'll have a better understanding how "evil multinational corporations" can essentially do whatever they want in the pursuit of profits.

All this squabbling between us over pennies is nothing.

Is that a problem with the suppliers or the consumers who complain about jobs going offshore as they drive to Walmart?

I agree to some extent. Workers are a resource, just like copper, gasoline, real estate -- the cost is based on the market for labour. If you're a trucking company that planned a business around $1/l diesel -- you would be out of luck at the moment. Same goes for any factory that requires trained, skilled or semi skilled workers.

I ran a small production facility up to 2012, my competitors paid workers $11/hr and often complained they couldn't keep workers or get quality workers. I hired their most skilled and dependable and paid them $15-17/hr, provided an climate controlled shop -- that was the sweet spot for best in class workers. My staff came to work ever day, they worked hard because they knew their next best option was an $11 sweatshop.

My workforce was more productive than my competitors so even with higher wages, I could compete.

That said, I would imagine the new $15 min wage threw a wrench into that. I'd have to pay those same staff $20/hr -- I think that would break some businesses, especially when you consider the additional jump in employment taxes. When you consider that worker would make $7US an hour in many manufacturing states, the min wage jump is a disaster.

Is that a problem with the suppliers or the consumers who complain about jobs going offshore as they drive to Walmart?

rhetorical question, I figure

but yeah, it's about every single thing becoming a commodity
people have lost the distinction between price and value
one includes quality in the equation, the other doesn't

I would just like to add I saw the former CEO of walmart complaining about the big boy amazon killing off all their little local stores in town :lmao:

I would just like to add I saw the former CEO of walmart complaining about the big boy amazon killing off all their little local stores in town :lmao:

haha....that's awesome
sad thing is some folks (I don't mean here)
will read that and not be able to grasp the absurdity

We dont pay minimum wage well above but it is hard work and people would rather work at McDonald's for 15 than work hard and make more money.

I dont buy it, give me some specifics and ill find you your employees, for a minor finders fee ofcourse.

Unless there is no shortage of wrench swingers with common sense.
Find me a someone with good mechanical and personal skills and I would gladly pay a finders fee and know a few other companies that would as well. Where we are located also has the lowest unemployment rate in Canada.

Find me a someone with good mechanical and personal skills and I would gladly pay a finders fee and know a few other companies that would as well. Where we are located also has the lowest unemployment rate in Canada.

Industrial mechanic? Auto mechanic? Airplane Mechanic? Specifics.

<raises hand>

If you can't tell from my posts, I work my way & don't get things handed down.

We dont pay minimum wage well above but it is hard work and people would rather work at McDonald's for 15 than work hard and make more money.

That's how min wages work. It doesn't just set a floor for the lowest paying jobs, it increases the wages for those whose labour is worth more than the minimum. It pushes the whole bottom up. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom