Should I continue with FAST ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I continue with FAST ?

arogal

Hi everyone,
I completed the FAST Riding School phase 1 course a couple weeks ago. I knew that once I got a taste for the track I'd be hooked...was I ever right. There is nothing quite like it and was a freakin blast! I highly recommend FAST riding school to anyone that is thinking of getting into tracking bikes, or just to become an overall better rider. I learned more in one day with FAST than I think I would have learned in the next 5 years on the street.
Now to my question. I'm not sure if I should continue with phases 2, 3, 4, and 5 at FAST or not. I have a friend who has been tracking bikes for over 10 years and mentioned why not just put the money that you would be spending on the FAST courses and just buy a track bike. He said for me to just follow his lead at a slower pace and eventually buildup the speed and he would teach me from the best of his knowledge. He has been racing with SOAR for quite some time. I know he's not a professional like the people at FAST...but I really want to make it a hobby of mine and become a great rider on the track. He has a tent, spare set of tire warmers, generator, trailer, and all the tools you could think of.
Have any of you completed the more advanced FAST courses? Did you seem to learn more and more each time? More than you would have tracking your own bike by yourself ?
Any tips would help...I just can't see myself coughing up another $3000 for the advanced fast courses.

I did phase 1, 2 and 3

Def. learned a lot in phase 2, and a ton more in phase 3 as it's run on the long track and each course builds upon the previous ones.

It's your money, but my advice is that there is something to be said for gaining professional instruction and having someone teach you proper technique and body position.

I don't consider it money wasted and I feel it made me a more confident, competent track day rider afterward.

There is no phase 4 or 5 fyi...

If money is an issue, buy a track bike first. Then go do some track days with what you've learned from Phase 1.

In the meantime, save up for Phase 2, then take it next season, or the season after that. Taking Phase 2 immediately after Phase 1 is a waste of money, IMO because you don't have time to absorb and practice what you've learned.

I took Phase 2 a couple of years after Phase 1 and I was put into a class with guys who just completed Phase 1 the day before. I had already done two seasons of track days in between Phase 1 and 2 and I could see how the newbies were really struggling with the new material, having had no time to process and practice what they just learned the day before

The Fast riding courses are more valuable than your buddy teaching you because he can't see what you're doing when he's riding behind you. The instructors at Fast stand at trackside and are able to see where, when and what you are doing with your controls and body positioning and offer you critique and instruction based on that.

Phase 2 introduces trail-braking, and although your buddy might be able to explain it to you, there's no way he can coach you on what you're doing right or wrong when he's on track with you.

Hi everyone,
I completed the FAST Riding School phase 1 course a couple weeks ago. I knew that once I got a taste for the track I'd be hooked...was I ever right. There is nothing quite like it and was a freakin blast! I highly recommend FAST riding school to anyone that is thinking of getting into tracking bikes, or just to become an overall better rider. I learned more in one day with FAST than I think I would have learned in the next 5 years on the street.
Now to my question. I'm not sure if I should continue with phases 2, 3, 4, and 5 at FAST or not. I have a friend who has been tracking bikes for over 10 years and mentioned why not just put the money that you would be spending on the FAST courses and just buy a track bike. He said for me to just follow his lead at a slower pace and eventually buildup the speed and he would teach me from the best of his knowledge. He has been racing with SOAR for quite some time. I know he's not a professional like the people at FAST...but I really want to make it a hobby of mine and become a great rider on the track. He has a tent, spare set of tire warmers, generator, trailer, and all the tools you could think of.
Have any of you completed the more advanced FAST courses? Did you seem to learn more and more each time? More than you would have tracking your own bike by yourself ?
Any tips would help...I just can't see myself coughing up another $3000 for the advanced fast courses.
I think you can do either but I did the instruction before buying a track bike and I think that worked out well. I didn’t do fast (I did css in the US) but nonetheless was a worthwhile exercise and I am highly confident that I wouldn’t have gotten to the level I am today without the formal instruction. Even if you’re a natural talent why would you not want to benefit from the instruction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks alot guys. Money is not an issue, I just don't like to waste money and I wasn't sure how effective phase 2,3, and 4 (introduced this year) were. I think I'll buy a track bike in the winter at some point, do some track days with that. And the following season I will do phase 2....then phase 3 the year after.
Thanks again for your opinions ��

buy a lwt race bike and go racing. best track time ever. do some td's; and the RACE friday test day for practice so you feel confident to go racing..

seek a mentor from RACE to help you out- and wet your feet.

Last edited:
OK I'll think about it! I'm sorry I got mixed up.... Phase 4 came out this year. He was telling us.

Ah yes. I do see they updated the site and added phase 4.

Back
Top Bottom