Heat = more squids | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heat = more squids

I ride every day from April to November, always wear a full face, jacket, boots and gloves. I usually wear jeans, almost never wear riding pants unless Im on a dirtbike.

Unless you're my son, I don't care what you ride or what you wear.

Full face

Gloves

Perf leather jacket

Kevlar pants or perf leather that zips up

Motorcycle specific boots

I commuted on bike to work a few weeks ago and I haven't done that in a while. Wore normal jeans and normal chukka boots.

Holy crap I felt so unprotected. I'm so used to full gear now that anything else feels unnatural.

When I first started riding I'd were just a tank top or t-shirt thinking I looked cool. Now they don't look cool. Now I think we'll fitting leather looks so much better.

i have a decent vented textile jacket but with thick CE 2.0 back armor. damn that thing gets hot but i dont want to ride without it. ahh well.

Yes, safety, safety, safety. Go ahead, worry, worry, worry. I'm not knocking you for taking precautions, but worry about yourself. Let others take care of themselves. If they refuse to do so, let them take their chances and pay the price, that's their choice.
Yeah that's why i'll only do the atgatt talk to people wanting to start riding who have no clue what's happening and haven't done any sort of courses yet, hoping itll stick with them.

Usually by the time you're squidding around, not much except personal experience or close friend with a scary experience can change your mind.

one thing to think about. If you just slide on the pavement for 1 second at 60kph you will travel 54 feet. I do not want my bare skin on the pavement for 2 feet let alone 54.
At 100kph you will slide for 91 feet. (no one has mentioned Brittany Morrow. Check out her story if you do not know about it)

One thing i notice is most folks wear dark helmets. Dark gear, no wonder you are hot.
All my gear is light / white. Made a big difference. Good light coloured mesh / perforated leather gear works almost as good as no gear.
Keeps the sun off too. When it is hot out you are hot no mater what you wear.

a month ago i got new pants to replace my well worn(out) JoeRocket pants (in black)
to the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 13. (mostly white). They have removable panels that are mesh underneath.
Normally wear textile jacket (Belstaff) but have an Alpine Stars perforated leather jacket for when it is hot. (top half is white)

If I can't ride in a sweater, shorts and some J's. I ain't riding.
Agreed. If someone thinks that full gear will make him/her to be a better rider - that's wrong.
Yes, gear night save you in an accident (or not), but you have to rely on your experience and riding skills - this is what will most likely help you to stay out of accident.

Sent from my Pixel using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Agreed. If someone thinks that full gear will make him/her to be a better rider - that's wrong.
Yes, gear night save you in an accident (or not), but you have to rely on your experience and riding skills - this is what will most likely help you to stay out of accident.

Sent from my Pixel using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Gear doesn't equal skill? Wtf.

I want my money back from the guy that said my helmet stats were +50hp, +12 dodge and +15% luck.

I disagree with much of what's been said.

The most important thing is YOUR ATTITUDE.

If you're going to wear gear, and take courses to up the risks you can take, then you're missing the point.

If you wear gear and take courses to help mitigate the risk, then you're on the right track.

The last part is your bike. If you're neglecting it, then you're increasing your risk.

its hilarious how many people lecture about gear and only wear a jacket and gloves, the first this to hit the ground is your lower body, if you think you are safe in a pair of jeans and runners as long as you have your jacket and gloves on you are delusional.

disclaimer: i really dont care what your wear or dont wear, I often ride around with shorts and a T-shirt around town and I'm not interested in what you think about it.

Wear what you need to wear, ride what you want to ride. The sun will make us sweaty enough without all the heavy breathing.

@Joe Bass: New ice cream joint opening up soon in the junction. You are gonna love it.

one thing to think about. If you just slide on the pavement for 1 second at 60kph you will travel 54 feet. I do not want my bare skin on the pavement for 2 feet let alone 54.
At 100kph you will slide for 91 feet. (no one has mentioned Brittany Morrow. Check out her story if you do not know about it)

One thing i notice is most folks wear dark helmets. Dark gear, no wonder you are hot.
All my gear is light / white. Made a big difference. Good light coloured mesh / perforated leather gear works almost as good as no gear.
Keeps the sun off too. When it is hot out you are hot no mater what you wear.

a month ago i got new pants to replace my well worn(out) JoeRocket pants (in black)
to the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 13. (mostly white). They have removable panels that are mesh underneath.
Normally wear textile jacket (Belstaff) but have an Alpine Stars perforated leather jacket for when it is hot. (top half is white)
I'm with you on the color. I changed to silver & grey and it's a world of difference over black. Tried a white jacket for a while - road grime & bugs were a bit of a problem.

I wear a full face helmet, gloves, and jacket at all times.
In colder weather I wear overpants, jeans in the warm weather.
I'm currently in the market for kevlar jeans or a good hot weather overpant.
Lately have been sometimes wearing runners instead of boots. I need to find a more protective, comfortable alternative.

I shake my head at people riding in shorts or tshirts, then I ride on and forget about it as that is their decision. Hopefully they never suffer for it. Heck there are plenty of times I would like to go out in a tshirt but I'm not ready to take that risk. Everything can change in an instant.

Enjoy your ride :cool:

Wearing dry wick leggings under perforated leather pants is the best in hot weather.

Those who know will agree. The swamp balls drying from moving air is one of the best feelings

Wear what you need to wear, ride what you want to ride. The sun will make us sweaty enough without all the heavy breathing.

@Joe Bass: New ice cream joint opening up soon in the junction. You are gonna love it.
It's a date!

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

i have a decent vented textile jacket but with thick CE 2.0 back armor. damn that thing gets hot but i dont want to ride without it. ahh well.

Spring for one of the 'vented' back armors. Pricey but maybe worth it?

Yeah that's why i'll only do the atgatt talk to people wanting to start riding who have no clue what's happening and haven't done any sort of courses yet, hoping itll stick with them.

Usually by the time you're squidding around, not much except personal experience or close friend with a scary experience can change your mind.

+1

Personally, I see it as, "If someone much more skilled at motorcycling than myself can go down, then so can I". Now, just tack on additional unexpected risks of riding on the street (Cross-traffic, oil/sand, streetcar tracks/manhole covers, and debris)...

I've gone down due to taking a turn faster than I should have on a wet painted pedestrian line in cold weather. I've also had numerous slips on streetcar tracks, so I'd rather not take my chances wearing any less protection than I already do.

That being said, there was a time where I feel like I suffered from a mild heat stroke while stuck in traffic last year on the way home. I felt like I was dying and have told myself to now filter through traffic if I get stuck in that situation again. By the time I got home, I just dropped on the floor and laid there while the room was spinning and felt delirious. By the time my then-girlfriend got home, I told her I was pretty out of it and noticed my responses were delayed significantly.

People can wear what they want, it doesn't effect me.

Last edited:
Spring for one of the 'vented' back armors. Pricey but maybe worth it?

It’s technically vented (has multiple layers and holes in it). Just gonna have to deal with it and/or go faster for more air haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am an ATGATT rider. No exceptions...personal choice. Never preachy about it.

My understanding of the term "squid" was a combination of "squirrelly kid" as in...
"Look at that squirrelly kid on the motorcycle."

not sure what squirrely means

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom