Heat = more squids | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heat = more squids

I never understood Why are people so passionate about this topic. What’s there to argue about. Why do you feel the need to justify what you wear ??? Just wear what you WANT to wear and ride what you WANT to ride ... and let everyone else do otherwise without judging ? Am I wrong thinking this way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 reasons, first is accident benefits go up yet again because someone is in the hospital for months . 2nd is an EMS has to pack up body parts not a fun thing to do. But I would never tell someone what to wear, to each there own. For me I wear one piece full leathers with hard pads and a back protector. At all times regardless of temp. However I don't ride in cities.

I got a heavy leather jacket w/ armor that does great in fall/spring, but in hot+humid weather, and the more aggressive ergos of the SV its a bit much, was trying to decide if its worth it to just leave the jacket off once in a while

Maybe ill look into a mesh jacket
I used to ride in t-shirts and sandals very often.
12 years ago in mid June I left the house to grab an ice cream with a friend. As I locked the front door, wearing my half helmet, tshirt, shorts and running shoes with no socks, I thought "Should I go back inside and get some proper gear on? Nah, the only way I'm getting in an accident is if someone hits me, so I'll just go extra slow since it's really hot out."
10 minutes later a van crossed the centreline and hit me head on totaling my bike and injuring me as well. So I bought some mesh gear after that.
I find that wearing the mesh gear keeps my skin feeling a lot cooler when the blazing sun is cooking me.

ATGATT for me.

I shake my head at people I see out riding in shorts and tshirts but hey, it's your life...

I do think that people riding wearing no gloves though are just dumb.

If you're worried about going through your windshield, don't drive a car or be a passenger in one. And then they invented seatbelts and made them mandatory because it's safer than no seatbelt.

It just increases your margin of survival, i don't see what's wrong with trying to increase your own margin and thy neighbour's margin of survival.

Just like harnesses for working at heights

Just like helmets when you go on a construction site

Just like proper shoes when you mow your lawn

Just like keeping live electric wires away from water

the list can go on...they're marginal measures and technologies that are there to increase your survival rate.

The "who cares what happens if i crash, its my life" just means you don't care enough to make it safer for yourself and increase your odds of walking away unscathed from an unpredictable situation, that's all.

I personally remember how i flew off my bicycle when i was a kid, skin near the elbow down to the flesh (and flesh tends to make a bigger contrast on black skin so maybe it got engraved deeper in my memory because of it) and that was just me on a bicycle. I don't wanna feel/see what it would be like at motorcycle speeds.

Yes, safety, safety, safety. Go ahead, worry, worry, worry. I'm not knocking you for taking precautions, but worry about yourself. Let others take care of themselves. If they refuse to do so, let them take their chances and pay the price, that's their choice.

We should just ban bikes....and drive Volvo's or Hummer's.

ATGATT = Generally means All the gear no idea. Better off spending $$$ on off road and track training than the latest air bag offering from Dainese. The training will be way more beneficial to your roadcraft.

ATGATT is all fine and dandy if you have a little spill, won't do **** when you hit something solid like a left turning car or a lamp post.

You can't/won't be able to predict when something happens on the road, could be riding down to the store to pick up some milk, or carving some canyons. Makes me laugh when it's acceptable by some to wear marginal gear for short trips, yet will wear the full leathers when doing hooligan rides..

Always wear full gear myself...honestly it can get hot but when moving at speed it isn't that bad...it just isn't fun if you get stuck in traffic for an extended period of time.

One time I squid it... Well 2 times. I end up burning my legs so bad that there's scarring. Burnt on the exhaust! From that time henceforth, I have always worn jeans, minimum.

Squidding all the way!! You wear gear you're cute
Heres one example. Two friends of mine rider has full face, passenger dosen't. He did have one inside but because they were going short distance just grabbed his open face dirt bike lid off the porch. Taxi turns left in front of them, both have broken left thigh bone, run over to rider he says I'm OK but my leg is broken. Run over to passenger and my other buddy pukes when he sees our friend with no face. Permanent brain damage. Such a preventable loss.

Jeans, leather jacket, gloves, boots and full face modular *most* of the time. (looking at investing in at least one pair of Kevlar jeans)

Sometimes I will leave the jacket off if going for a low-speed jaunt. And maybe wear my DC shoes.
-- I've seen some posts where people scoff at this, but imho, if I'm staying in 40kmh zones I find it no different than my BIL who is a cyclist that consistently does speeds in excess of that. --

I may use my half helmet once a year. Ever since the eye surgeries and the cost of Rx glasses, I don't risk it. I figure the probability of something hitting my face/ eyes etc are too high of a risk. Plus I don't like swallowing bugs. Although most are high in protein.

I will sometimes wear shorts, like when I am going to work, but I will wear my Icon Anthem overpants as well.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I squid it all the time!!!

Arguing over what gear to wear and what’s appropriate is no different then arguing over what sauce you want on your wings..

Here is my take on this.

To each their own. I simply don’t understand why anyone has to beef with anyone over what they wear while they ride.

Wear what makes you comfy. And wear what you wAnt and judge no other.

I was up at port perry 3 days ago squiding. I finish my coffee jump on my bike and I am about fire up my bike and ride off. Just then A guy in a vstorm walks up to me and says. “Obviously you ain’t never been down cuz they are gonna skin graph you from your arm pit and ass”

Well .... Hello !! nice to meet you too buddy!!!

So I said actually I have been down. I went high side over the handle bars once... But this is what I am comfortable in.. So then he shut up. And just stared at me... I did not find his approach proper. Anyways that’s my take on the subject

I've met those guys too (maybe even THAT one).

Whether it's some dingus telling me that I shoulda bought THIS kind of bike instead of the one I've got because he's, "seen reviews on utube", AGAT warriors tut-tutting over hiking boots and jeans, or the obligatory tool on the cruiser telling me that I'm too old (!!!) to ride a "bike like that" there's always some empty-headed slack-jawed goof that's so overly enamoured with his opinion that he's just got to preach his gospel to the heathens he meets.

Maybe I've got to smile less and scowl more so they'll leave me alone.

I just went on a couple of errands this morning wearing shorts, t-shirt, slip-on casual shoes, and my 1/2 helmet.

Just because of this thread.

Nice breeze up the side of my shorts on the highway.

Maybe I've got to smile less and scowl more so they'll leave me alone.

was thinking about this the other day
wondering why cruiser guys all look so facking miserable
angry at the world, looking for a confrontation miserable

To each their own. I simply don’t understand why anyone has to beef with anyone over what they wear while they ride.

one overriding reason .......because if you lose skin MY healthcare costs go up. :rolleyes:

So a squid has nothing to do with what you wear but how you ride ?

I've always understood it to mean something else as well... nothing to do with gear.

The first time I heard it.. was from a pro racer... referring to other pro racers on the track with him.

I've always understood it to mean something else as well... nothing to do with gear.

The first time I heard it.. was from a pro racer... referring to other pro racers on the track with him.

legend has it, it came from the surfing world
to indicate a poser that can't really surf

Back
Top Bottom