Heat = more squids | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heat = more squids

I find I'm quite comfortable in my full leather jacket and gloves until 25c then I need to open the vents and even unzip a little of the main zipper. By 27c I start to get uncomfortable. I still keep the jacket on and deal with it by sweating. I am considering a convertible jacket like an Alter Ego so I can get some relief on the hot days as my ST can get pretty warm too. I've always ridden in regular jeans. Not ideal and not the easiest on the butt when riding long distances but I just can't find pants I like. I am considering the Olympia MotoX pants as they have the zip down panel in the front to reveal a large mesh section but then I may have issues pairing them with my other gear so I will need an Olympia coat. It all snow balls, doesn't it?

I've used a "Chilly Pad" with a lot of success. Can't find it at the moment but it's basically a large, dimpled shammy. You wet it, wring it out and place it against your chest and zip up your jacket. The air hits it and it becomes cool to the touch as the water evaporates. It is good for up to an hour of comfort before needing to be re-wet.

Got the alpinestars viper air mesh jacket this year for hot days. Working well so far. Didn't sweat at all. Stop and go traffic maybe a different story.

I squid it all the time!!!

Arguing over what gear to wear and what’s appropriate is no different then arguing over what sauce you want on your wings..

Here is my take on this.

To each their own. I simply don’t understand why anyone has to beef with anyone over what they wear while they ride.

Wear what makes you comfy. And wear what you wAnt and judge no other.

I was up at port perry 3 days ago squiding. I finish my coffee jump on my bike and I am about fire up my bike and ride off. Just then A guy in a vstorm walks up to me and says. “Obviously you ain’t never been down cuz they are gonna skin graph you from your arm pit and ass”

Well .... Hello !! nice to meet you too buddy!!!

So I said actually I have been down. I went high side over the handle bars once... But this is what I am comfortable in.. So then he shut up. And just stared at me... I did not find his approach proper. Anyways that’s my take on the subject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arguing over what gear to wear and what’s appropriate is no different then arguing over what sauce you want on your wings..

Here is my take on this.

To each their own. I simply don’t understand why anyone has to beef with anyone over what they wear while they ride.

I was up at port perry 3 days ago squiding. I finish my coffee jump on my bike and I am about fire up my bike and ride off. Just then A guy in a vstorm walks up to me and says. “Obviously you ain’t never been down cuz they are gonna skin graph you from your arm pit and ass”

So I said actually I have been down. I went high side over the handle bars once... But this is what I am comfortable in.. So then he shut up. And just stared at me... I did not find his approach proper. Anyways that’s my take on the subject

I’m sure some of the nanny state advocates/insurance sector employees will pitch in to remind you how irresponsible you are to take such an abhorrent risk and put burden on our tax dollar!

Here is my take on this.

I was up at port perry 3 days ago squiding. I finish my coffee jump on my bike and I am about fire up my bike and ride off. Just then A guy in a vstorm walks up to me and says. “Obviously you ain’t never been down cuz they are gonna skin graph you from your arm pit and ***”

tells you all you need to know

Ahem......jeans and golf shirt to Jane and flagstaff today and back.

I did wear the FF helmet to take a couple of calls.

I’ve wrecked in more ways than I can count on various vehicles from peddle power to motorized machines.

I think gear is smart and in the sun is also great protection from skin cancer.

Highly recommend.

Do as I say, not as I do.

And it was on the hog so I guess that’s my excuse. It’s to be expected. Lol.

@Nakkers -- Langstaff? And you didn't drop in??

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I know what it takes to save me from hurt.I wear what i want to wear (which is atgatt most of the time).The closet in my garage has Mesh,Textile and Full leather including Dainese bap which is worn when i want to wear it.My helmets range from Trials comp open face (like a bicycle helmet on hot days),a Scorpion Modular and an Arai Vector2.Same with boots and gloves.Lots to choose from. MY CHOICE!
I have had to pick the gravel out of my rashed knee and hip in the hospital with tweezers because the nurse was to ****** off at me for being stupid enough to ride a donorcycle. Don't lecture me about nannystate crap. DILLIGAFF

I see the term squid being alot more than just not wearing gear. They just seem like complete idiots on the streets. Constantly weaving through traffic, stunting, high high speeds, ride in packs.
But if you are referring to the squids in terms of gear, I think Harley dudes are by far the biggest squids that ride. Jeans, t-shirt, vest (some of them), and a beanie helmet....not to mention no gloves LOL!

Yes the term squid actually has nothing to do with what rider wears, but with how they ride. I see lots of fully geared up squids all the time.

@Nakkers -- Langstaff? And you didn't drop in??

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

@joe Bass.

Sorry mon ami. Next time. I’m in Vaughan often actually.

Where is the good ice cream or gelato at?

Squid is for the sound you make when you hit the pavement.

My hot weather apparel consists of jean jacket over t-shirt, jeans, shortie gloves and low cut leather boots. And yes, I ride with a half helmet. "Squids" are all over the place up here in the hot weather wearing shorts, sandals, half helmet (with the strap hanging loose) and a young girl on the back wearing bikini top, shorts and sandals with an ice cream in one hand and 3/4 helmet.

It's not my job to care. I'm not an authoritarian who wants to force everyone to do the right thing. I hate nanny-state paternalists. Yup, if they go down it's going to be ugly. But if that's what you're worried about don't ride a motorcycle.

Always a full-face and gloves, usually a jacket unless I'm just going for a quick rip down the lake or around town. I have a 4 season Technic, generic leather, and Alpinestars mesh jackets I rotate between based on temps. My feet are super wide and no motorcycle boots fit me unless I go 300$+ custom, so I usually wear some decent hiking boots or maybe my DC's around town. Always in Kirkland stretchy jeans, best pants ever.

Personally I don't care what other people ride in, except those stupid beanie helmets. I like my whole face, not just the top!

So a squid has nothing to do with what you wear but how you ride ?

My hot weather apparel consists of jean jacket over t-shirt, jeans, shortie gloves and low cut leather boots. And yes, I ride with a half helmet. "Squids" are all over the place up here in the hot weather wearing shorts, sandals, half helmet (with the strap hanging loose) and a young girl on the back wearing bikini top, shorts and sandals with an ice cream in one hand and 3/4 helmet.

It's not my job to care. I'm not an authoritarian who wants to force everyone to do the right thing. I hate nanny-state paternalists. Yup, if they go down it's going to be ugly. But if that's what you're worried about don't ride a motorcycle.
If you're worried about going through your windshield, don't drive a car or be a passenger in one. And then they invented seatbelts and made them mandatory because it's safer than no seatbelt.

It just increases your margin of survival, i don't see what's wrong with trying to increase your own margin and thy neighbour's margin of survival.

Just like harnesses for working at heights

Just like helmets when you go on a construction site

Just like proper shoes when you mow your lawn

Just like keeping live electric wires away from water

the list can go on...they're marginal measures and technologies that are there to increase your survival rate.

The "who cares what happens if i crash, its my life" just means you don't care enough to make it safer for yourself and increase your odds of walking away unscathed from an unpredictable situation, that's all.

I personally remember how i flew off my bicycle when i was a kid, skin near the elbow down to the flesh (and flesh tends to make a bigger contrast on black skin so maybe it got engraved deeper in my memory because of it) and that was just me on a bicycle. I don't wanna feel/see what it would be like at motorcycle speeds.

I never understood Why are people so passionate about this topic. What’s there to argue about. Why do you feel the need to justify what you wear ??? Just wear what you WANT to wear and ride what you WANT to ride ... and let everyone else do otherwise without judging ? Am I wrong thinking this way?

@bippoppa

get on with your life and stop worrying about how other people ride and what they wear!

This here.
And fwiw, squid = squirrelly kid. With motos it's often about inept riding technique despite a personal belief otherwise. We have a few of those here.

I got a heavy leather jacket w/ armor that does great in fall/spring, but in hot+humid weather, and the more aggressive ergos of the SV its a bit much, was trying to decide if its worth it to just leave the jacket off once in a while

Maybe ill look into a mesh jacket

I got a heavy leather jacket w/ armor that does great in fall/spring, but in hot+humid weather, and the more aggressive ergos of the SV its a bit much, was trying to decide if its worth it to just leave the jacket off once in a while

Maybe ill look into a mesh jacket

Good deals on F9 right now, that Alpinestars Viper that Roadrash spoke of is about $260 i believe.

Back
Top Bottom