Odd importing dilema.. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Odd importing dilema..

Re: Out of province registration? Importing?

Assuming the bike is registered in BC you will need a copy of the ICBC " Owner's certificate of Insurance and Vehicle License" and a ICBC "Transfer/Tax Form" (form APV9T) endorsed by the registered owner.
Take that to the MTO and you're golden. (ICBC = Insurance Corp of British Columbia).

If the vehicle was "willed" to you and you don't want to pay sales tax you will need a copy of the will to show the MTO (a certified copy is a good idea).
If the vehicle is not mentioned in the will you have to pay sales tax.

Small update, I have insured the bike, getting the saftey certificate tomorrow. I have also signed the ownership transfer and have the ICBC "Transfer/Tax Form. Just no bill of sale from my father. Hoping I can just pay taxes for the value of the bike and get it over with. I'll know Monday. Fingers are crossed.

Small update, I have insured the bike, getting the saftey certificate tomorrow. I have also signed the ownership transfer and have the ICBC "Transfer/Tax Form. Just no bill of sale from my father. Hoping I can just pay taxes for the value of the bike and get it over with. I'll know Monday. Fingers are crossed.
Go in to a Service Ontario that doesn't have huge line ups and tell them your story. If it was a gift from your dad, you shouldn't have to pay tax on it.

Go in to a Service Ontario that doesn't have huge line ups and tell them your story. If it was a gift from your dad, you shouldn't have to pay tax on it.

I totally agree but I don't want to prolong this whole situation any longer. If it was a gift then you need to a signature by a commissioner and all that crazy stuff that I don't have. Then if I tell them he passed away after he gave me the bike, the estate might be involved etc... Very frustrating lol

I totally agree but I don't want to prolong this whole situation any longer. If it was a gift then you need to a signature by a commissioner and all that crazy stuff that I don't have. Then if I tell them he passed away after he gave me the bike, the estate might be involved etc... Very frustrating lol
That's why I said go to one without line ups. They're people too. Most of them are kind and considerate and are in customer service for a reason. Explain your story, and if you have to pay, then pay.

That's why I said go to one without line ups. They're people too. Most of them are kind and considerate and are in customer service for a reason. Explain your story, and if you have to pay, then pay.

Good plan. Thanks for the input!

Thay dont look at or keep the bill off sale anymore for privacy reasons just ask you what you paid if you want to keep it simple give a realistic number keep it cool and walk out with the ownership.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thay dont look at or keep the bill off sale anymore for privacy reasons just ask you what you paid if you want to keep it simple give a realistic number keep it cool and walk out with the ownership.

So I can just say that I paid my dad $4000 for the bike and move on from there? Sounds better than a blue book value lol.

Yes exactly and no messing around i would not even say it was my dad or you could get extra questions you dont want.
So I can just say that I paid my dad $4000 for the bike and move on from there? Sounds better than a blue book value lol.

Yes exactly and no messing around i would not even say it was my dad or you could get extra questions you dont want.

I would but we both have the same last name. It's wilson ��

Last edited:

Doesn't matter what the names are....if you are gonna pay tax on it. You could just swear an oath to a commissioner/lawyer/notary that it was a gift and not pay tax. Usually the cost of an oath is around $20. So, $20 or so vs tax on $4k. Your choice.

Doesn't matter what the names are....if you are gonna pay tax on it. You could just swear an oath to a commissioner/lawyer/notary that it was a gift and not pay tax. Usually the cost of an oath is around $20. So, $20 or so vs tax on $4k. Your choice.
Right, but I thought both parties had to sign the oath. I am the only one around to sign.

If both are available, yes, you are correct. I thought swearing an oath was just that, only you cause your dad is gone. But best to ask a commissioner/lawyer/notary.

I don't know about this. They looked at my bill of sale last month and pretty sure they took a copy of it as well. They definitely used to take a copy of the bill of sale, and would even send a letter to the seller to ask what they sold it for.

Maybe a recent change, but I've never had a copy of the bill made. Don't recall even showing it last time.

Right, but I thought both parties had to sign the oath. I am the only one around to sign.

I just did this. All parties have to be present and attest that the signatures are theirs and freely given. A commissioner works in the ServiceOntario office, $20 cash. I'm not sure if all SO offices have one or not.

OP, I would pay the tax (or declare a cheap price and pay the tax on that). Trying to get a commissioner/notary to sign off should be impossible (and will in any case be way more trouble than it's worth).

So if you say a price and the Min. sends a letter to verify, where do they send it to? Whoever receives it, just tosses it and you're good.

I gave a couple of bikes to my brother in law and he didn't get charged anything.

But we went to the wicket together and I explained the situation to the clerk.

He did have to pay off his outstanding tickets though.

Or since you shouldn't be paying any tax anyhow since it was a gift from your dad, tell them you bought it for $154 and then pay the $20 on it, which would be equivalent to what you would pay for the transfer if your dad actually could come with you.

I don't know about this. They looked at my bill of sale last month and pretty sure they took a copy of it as well. They definitely used to take a copy of the bill of sale, and would even send a letter to the seller to ask what they sold it for.

They never copied any of my bills of sale (about 20 vehicle registrations). And yes, recently, they don't even care to see it.

The letter is just fishing for money. It's powerless. In the rare case they actually feel like sending one, best thing to do with such letter is to put it in your recycling bin.

Final update:
I went to the MTO and they wouldn't help me out because I didn't have a will or an executor. So I went today to different location told them a relative told me that bike with the bill of sale that I wrote up and I only had to pay taxes. Very easy process happy with the result. Thanks for all the input

Back
Top Bottom