Deck safety rail | GTAMotorcycle.com

Deck safety rail

Wingboy

Site Supporter
Need suggestions for putting a small handrail from my deck to ground level for my wife.She had a nasty fall last October with brain injury and is recovered enough that she wants to try a cane in our yard.She uses a walker most of the time.The awkward part of this is the post for the deck is 90 degrees to the steps.I would like to use wood.Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks people.
P5240032_zpsq5g7hxhd.jpg

P5240033_zps0qj9fg7c.jpg

Looks like there’s just enough room to put a 4x4 thats been ripped on an angle against that end post to give you a flat face to install a traditional hand rail more easily. If you have the right dimensions the hardware store should be able to cut it for you too.

Also, I hope your wife is doing well. I read your story somewhere a while ago in another thread.

For the one on the left I'd use a table saw to cut a V groove down the middle of a 4x4, and do what jc said for the one on the right, and just build normal handrails off of that.

Last edited:
first impression is to extend the stairs
tread height looks okay for someone with limited mobility
but depth is not great, too short
maybe extend each step out to a landing
so she can can get both feet down and settled before dealing with the next one?

Great idea jc100!Thanks.It's been a very slow recovery for her and a learning experience for me.I had to retire early and become a psw.
It has to go on her right side.The side on her left (going down) is the same as the right.It has a hinged gate on it.

Last edited:
@jc100 I don't think any of the hardware stores will do that cut. I was however thinking along the same lines as you.
Keep in mind that you would need to open up the floor, drop the 4x4 down, and bolt it to one of the joists. That will give you the stability and support.
Where are you located again @Wingboy?
Also, taking a pic to HD or Lowe's, they may be able to plan it out for you at their landscape desk. Usually free if you buy your supplies from them.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

If you are handy, grab a 8" posthole digger (even the old manual kind will work), dig down 2' and put in a 4x4 post on the grass and fill with concrete, should only need 1 bag. Then grab a 2x4 and fudge cut the angles until you get it to connect (make the 3 1/2" side face up, not the 1 1/2" side). Post-to-post railing will be the safest/strongest bet. May have to replace the post on the deck if it is not lagged to the header. It's not exactly 100% to code but, sh*t happens.

If you had the materials, I would gladly come down on a weekend and help you out!

Last edited:
@jc100 I don't think any of the hardware stores will do that cut. I was however thinking along the same lines as you.
Keep in mind that you would need to open up the floor, drop the 4x4 down, and bolt it to one of the joists. That will give you the stability and support.
Also, taking a pic to HD or Lowe's, they may be able to plan it out for you at their landscape desk. Usually free if you buy your supplies from them.

Home Depot and Lowes both suggested metal railings.No thanks.I'm in Waterloo.

We just did a deck last year, it was a handy resource for deciding spans, piers and railing requirements. Good luck Rick!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Don't talk to the guys in Millwork or Lumber. Go the contractor desk and tell them you want to talk to the person the does the deck design.
The next time I'm there I will find out what their title is.
Home Depot and Lowes both suggested metal railings.No thanks.I'm in Waterloo.

2' down? Won't crack the frost line and will get movement.

2' down? Won't crack the frost line and will get movement.

Hence the "not 100% to code" part. Only an hour or 2 if you've got some skills. 4' with a 10" sono tube would be much better, but that's 4 bags and a lot more work.

Some good ideas so far. Let me add to them.

First off, I don’t see the posts at an angle to the steps as a major hurdle. The biggest issue is dealing with the first step down which is inset to the deck and figuring out a comfortable height to set the railing. Need to make sure your wife isn’t over-reaching (either out or down) for the handrail when taking that first step down...and being able to climb back up safely.

To attach the railing to the post, I would replace the 4x4 V-groove idea with 2 2x4s which are easier to work with. Make your angled cuts at the tops of the 2x4s and then simply v-groove the handrail and attach with long screws through the 2x4s (and the existing post if possible).

As Javafan suggested, consider extending the ‘run’ of each step so there is more area to step down with both feet on the same step for stability. Maybe keep the rise and double the run. And if you are feeling ambitious, why not re-do all the steps and eliminate that top step inset.

Keep in mind your wife will need to get back up those same steps comfortably.

A solid base (4x4 set in concrete) at the bottom of the stairs will keep the railing stable.

Btw, great to see forum members sharing ideas and offering to help with the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Many of the guys in those stores are old pros and they might have a go. Just need to talk to them. I’ve seen the equipment they have there and it’s capable, might just need another piece of lumber to hold the 4x4 at the right angle.

Edit. Actually I think they can change the angle of the saw blade so it should be fine. Just check.

Lots of good ideas above, especially extending each tread. As an alternative to digging in the post at the bottom, you could just use a deck block. There's different types. You can wedge the 4X4 in there if it's a bit loose and adjust the position easily. With the deck block, if you don't need the railing in the future, it's easily removed. Alternatively, once you're happy with the location, then dig the hole (I'd go a minimum of 4 feet) and backfill with clear gravel rather than dirt so that water doesn't get sitting against the wood.

As you only have two steps, I would also consider building it as landing/landing. If the new "steps" are ~30" deep (shallower may work, but you'd need to see how it looked/felt), she can use the walker for stability. This could be built to sit over the existing steps. If you ever want to remove it, just pull it out and reseed that part of the lawn.

Imho I would not use the deck-blok. Because of the situation, I would want something more secure.

@jc100 yes there are some pros, there are also some not so good workers. I was a HD employee for many years.

Back
Top Bottom