Looking for suggestions on what to buy | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for suggestions on what to buy

Really?

Doesn't surprise me, we livin in Insuristan. And apparently street triples are now hayabusas.

Who did you speak to if you dont mind me asking?

Go after that CBF1000 for $3500 ....
Innocent looking sleeper ...

$_59.JPG

All the torque you want and the smoothness of an inline 4...plus light weight.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...0a/1353624528?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/insu...ct0909-motorcycle-insurance-bargains-cbf1000/

Talk to Chris South for insurance...

Christopher South, R.I.B. (Ont), CIP
Insurance Broker, SurNet Insurance Group Inc.
csouth@surnet.net
P: 416-546-8969
F: 866-491-4002

He said "no large displacement bikes".What part of that is so hard to understand? Not everyone wants what you think is best David.

So a Triumph triple is not large displacement bike. ?? Sure
...he's scared of insurance.:rolleyes:..a CBF1000 is a relatively light intermediate bike that the Brits consider suitable for riders moving up but you wouldn't know that.
He wants to move up from a FZ6 .... tho why I'm not sure... but the CBF offers the same horsepower but much more torque.

Why don't stop sniping and go play in the mud and let people have a discussion without your non contributing comments.

and no you do NOT have permission to use my name.

Last edited:

Your online footprint is huge...

Not like knowing your actual first name makes any difference.

We all suggest the bikes we own to riders... of course we would, because we chose them for ourselves. -but - you always plug the bike you are currently riding.

We should all ride:
-Burgman 650s
-klr 650s
-st1100
V-strom 650s
Fz8 -(kids bike)
Cbf1000 -should be a red one...

You'll never guess what my first name is.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

So a Triumph triple is not large displacement bike. ?? Sure
...he's scared of insurance.:rolleyes:..a CBF1000 is a relatively light intermediate bike that the Brits consider suitable for riders moving up but you wouldn't know that.
He wants to move up from a FZ6 .... tho why I'm not sure... but the CBF offers the same horsepower but much more torque.

Why don't stop sniping and go play in the mud and let people have a discussion without your non contributing comments.

See post 29. I think 29? His FZ6 got totalled while parked.
Also, I asked Dalton for quotes on street triples, and got quotes pretty decently (similar to my SV650S) for the 675R's, but 2.5x as much for the regular 675... But Striples tend to go for 6-9k+, pricier of the many machines.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I think he's got lots to choose from. FZs triples or 4s, some Honda inlines.

I would think if he's not actually settled with the insurers might be easier to just get an FZ6.

If he's settled for cash - then a change might be nice for something with a bit more torque.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Suzuki Bandit 650/GSX650F. They tick a lot of boxes for you like comfort etc and are fuel injected. They are still plenty of fun with lots of power and great handling and they can be bought pretty cheap in good shape. The insurance is equally affordable on them.

only issue with FZ6 I can think of
is they are getting old
last revision was over 10 years ago
and ABS was never available

but still a great bike
I'd rather still be riding my '07
than the '15 FJ-09 that replaced it

I'm a big fan of the Suzuki Bandit 650/GSX650F. They tick a lot of boxes for you like comfort etc and are fuel injected. They are still plenty of fun with lots of power and great handling and they can be bought pretty cheap in good shape. The insurance is equally affordable on them.

Yup tho still need a lot of stirring of gears....that was the eye opener for me with the CBF, smoothness of an inline 4 yet with lots of torque and still under 500 lb and compact. Neat trick.

I think Yamaha hit a sweet spot in those features with their triples. Fz8 for him might just give enough extra torque over the FZ6 .....FZ9 surely would but not sure on insurance.

this is true...CP3 engine has usable torque everywhere
can lug it down and then bring it back up and it's happy

the I4's have a more refined feel to them though
though improved, Yamaha still has not figured out the fueling on the triples

and the brakes/suspension are a downgrade from what your lad had with the FZ8
not sure about the FZ09, but for '19 they have addressed all the shortcomings with the FJ-09

Tracer 900 GT, fixed the suspension, aeros, ergos, OEM CC
everything that I disliked, no idea on pricing yet, but I guess well north of 10 K

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/tracer-900-gt

Last edited:
If you're still having issues with seat height, then you might want to stick with the bike that you had before. Once you've got some experience, it will become less of an issue.

there are some nice VFR800s about but that's me lusting for a V4 :rolleyes:

$_59.JPG

but don't know if $6k is in budget.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...fr/1359449733?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
personally like the red version.

But another white one for $5700.

....I suspect the seat height on the tall side but that goes for the Yamaha triples as well.
I always felt my son's FZ8 top heavy but was so cramped for me I could not really judge.

Here's a different idea. If you forget about riding outside of the city, Supermoto's are awesome. A DRZ is cheap to buy, cheap to insure, reliable, and damn fun to ride. Wouldn't want to ride one on the highway for any length of time.

Just to clarify insurance - I'm insured with Aviva and Aviva has a policy of limiting newer riders (0-5 years I believe?) to 750cc, regardless of bike type. ​(And no SS, etc)

Yes I could leave Aviva and get a difference insurer, but I was told I would have to pay 40% of my annual premium to cancel. So I'm sticking with Aviva.

And the insurance company just picked up my FZ6 today, I'm receiving a cheque in the mail.

That's good info tho I'd touch base with Chris South about that Aviva 40% policy and get him to clarify it. It's likely because of the time of year not actually a penalty. ie there is only 60% of the riding year remaining the way insurers do their weird calculation.

Christopher South, R.I.B. (Ont), CIP
Insurance Broker, SurNet Insurance Group Inc.
csouth@surnet.net P: 416-546-8969

Still a 750cc limit on newer riders is a good thing - similar to Europe and Australia open class restrictions to Learner bikes but those are much restricted in horsepower...the FZ6 would not qualify there as a Learner class. Suzuki makes a restricted 650 Vstrom with cut back horsepower to stay in that class.

I checked with Chris and Aviva does have a 750 and under program and he says it's very beneficial to newer riders....spread the word.

Last edited:
For whatever it's worth, I ended up picking up a naked SV650. Cleanest SV I've come across personally, and almost bone stock!

Back
Top Bottom