Looking for suggestions on what to buy | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for suggestions on what to buy

sevet

Not sure if this will come off as spammy, but essentially I'm trying to decide what to buy and I'm having hell of a time trying to narrow it down (yes, what a terrible problem to have :D)

So as someone with only a couple of seasons under my belt and living in Toronto, the obvious restrictions apply for insurance purposes - no SS or large displacement bikes, although I'm not sure how insurance companies treat specific cc ranges depending on bike type?

- The majority of my riding is commuting in town, with the occasional weekend day trips out of town. I've always wanted to do longer trips but just haven't had a chance to try it out
- I've also wanted to try motocamping but for my usual usage, on-road performance is much more important than off-road
- Even though I'm only in my 20's, I have some nagging back issues and I think something like a SV650S is my limit in terms of riding ergonomic comfort
- I'm looking to shell out $4-5k, maybe $6k if I really like something
- Before I get the usual "carbs are nothing to worry about", I'll save everybody the breath and say I want EFI so you guys can keep all the great carb'd deals (If the 599 Hornet was EFI, I probably would be buying one)
- I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam, the FZ6 at almost 32" was alright except for when I had to try to back out uphill. So let's say 32" is probably about the maximum seat height I'd want to deal with.

I know my potential shopping list is absolutely all over the place, but this is why I need some input :D. I've been tossing around the idea of: Wee-strom, Versys, BMW DS of some kind?, Ninja 650, SV650, CBR650F, older Monster/Street Triple. But I'm open to other suggestions that I may not have considered! Also looking for any input on why any of the listed bikes would be a good/bad idea.

Last edited:
Comfort, commuting, motocamping, on and off road capability, FI

V strom, versys, cbr500x all right up your alley

I dont know if you've ever ridden the sv650S models, they are more aggressive than most street bikes, less aggressive than SS in terms of ergos.

I'm the same size as you and had no issues whatsoever with an FZ6
Weestrom is a bit taller but doable, was going to be my first suggestion
Ninja 650R is also a good choice, Versys is a great bike, but it's same height as a Strom
SV650 is a much sportier ergo bike, basically a Strom with sporty egos and more responsive fueling
would not suggest it for longer rides if you have back issues
all of these bikes would have comparable, reasonable insurance
if you want to get into some spirited riding on occasion, FZ6 will eat the others up

as for backing out up a hill, just don't park that way
if there are empty spots, ride in and swing around tight so you are facing out on exit
or if you have to, swallow your pride and push the bike back while walking beside it
there is nothing more embarrassing than a parking lot dump in front of crowd

I'm the same size as you and had no issues whatsoever with an FZ6
Weestrom is a bit taller but doable, was going to be my first suggestion
Ninja 650R is also a good choice, Versys is a great bike, but it's same height as a Strom
SV650 is a much sportier ergo bike, basically a Strom with sporty egos and more responsive fueling
would not suggest it for longer rides if you have back issues
all of these bikes would have comparable, reasonable insurance
if you want to get into some spirited riding on occasion, FZ6 will eat the others up

as for backing out up a hill, just don't park that way
if there are empty spots, ride in and swing around tight so you are facing out on exit
or if you have to, swallow your pride and push the bike back while walking beside it
there is nothing more embarrassing than a parking lot dump in front of crowd

Yes. If you took a motorcycle riding course, which if you want insurance in Ontario, that will become a mandatory requirement. It isn’t yet, but it is moving in that direction, anyhow in the course we / I would have taught you to always back in to your parking spot. Do it properly. Dismount the motorcycle, push the motorcycle back into the spot, looking to the rear as you do so, with the bike leaning into you. Always do this. Duck walking a bike backwards shows the world: a) you don’t really know what you’re doing, b) you’re lazy, c) you have either not been trained, or you have been, but not very bright (lol).

As for bikes given your parameters? The bikes mentioned above will work well. You want a standard seating position if it’s for commuting. You also want the least amount of cc’s that your ego can tolerate. Do not let anyone tell you that you need this many cc’s to tour with (although for controlled access highway driving, the bike must be a minimum of 250cc, read: 400 series highways, QEW...). There are folks who ride around the world on 70cc dirt bikes and carry their gear for a weeks worth of camping to boot. The fewer cc’s will lower cost of ownership: included in that is fuel, maintenance, insurance, INSURANCE, ease of picking up when it’s dropped. The list goes on. Ultimately though, all those things being equal (ceteris parabis), get the bike that excites you as well. Those are often conflicting requirements. You and only you can decide what carries more weight in the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the folks got you covered with recommendations. Personally, I find there is something within that you find attractive. When you look at the bike, it gives you a smile. Stat with that and should be able to find something well within your budget and still have funds for gear and insurance and regular maintenance etc.

I’d avoid anything that would be appealing to thieves.

FI is great and if you already decided against carbs, so be it. I was in the same boat when I got back into riding and ended up with a carb’d Harley and found it to be a pleasure to own and operate. Not trying to change your mind. Honest.

Good luck and have fun!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FZ6R...awesome bike...had a 2010 but crashed it in 2016...inline 4...detuned engine from the R6...upright sitting position with pegs below hips (check out that ergo cycle website)...loads of power (had it up to 212 k/h)...I'm 5'4" with a 28" inseam and had it lowered but for you it would probably be ok...not many 2017s left around and Yamaha isn't making it anymore...the only thing I personally did not like about it was it felt top heavy and I only weigh 100 lbs soaking wet with a brick in hand...other than that, I loved the bike...

FZ6R...awesome bike...had a 2010 but crashed it in 2016...inline 4...detuned engine from the R6...upright sitting position with pegs below hips (check out that ergo cycle website)...loads of power (had it up to 212 k/h)...I'm 5'4" with a 28" inseam and had it lowered but for you it would probably be ok...not many 2017s left around and Yamaha isn't making it anymore...the only thing I personally did not like about it was it felt top heavy and I only weigh 100 lbs soaking wet with a brick in hand...other than that, I loved the bike...

Coming from a FZ6, I think a FZ6R would be a downgrade IMO. And I want to try something different, otherwise I probably wouldn't be opposed to getting another FZ6

Coming from a FZ6, I think a FZ6R would be a downgrade IMO. And I want to try something different, otherwise I probably wouldn't be opposed to getting another FZ6

this is correct
they share an engine
but in every other way the R version is an inferior bike

this is correct
they share an engine
but in every other way the R version is an inferior bike

Well they kind of share an engine, but the big difference is the FZ6 made just about 100hp at the crank, the FZ6R only makes around 70.

Not that I needed that much power in the FZ6, but it sure was fun when I wrung it out :D

Yeah my sv650s is not as comfortable as my ninja 250r was, the more aggressive positioning really puts a strain on my back at around an hour of riding.

I like to park my bike by ripping in front of the spot and doing a big stoppie, while the rear wheel is in the air I kick it sideways and voila I'm
parked. I guess I'm a lazy, untrained dullard.... :) In all seriousness why in heavens name would you dismount to park you bike?

I would have taught you to always back in to your parking spot. Do it properly. Dismount the motorcycle, push the motorcycle back into the spot, looking to the rear as you do so, with the bike leaning into you. Always do this. Duck walking a bike backwards shows the world: a) you don’t really know what you’re doing, b) you’re lazy, c) you have either not been trained, or you have been, but not very bright (lol).

I like to park my bike by ripping in front of the spot and doing a big stoppie, while the rear wheel is in the air I kick it sideways and voila I'm
parked. I guess I'm a lazy, untrained dullard.... :) In all seriousness why in heavens name would you dismount to park you bike?

If you can ride into the spot so that you end up in a “backed in position” by all means, however, in lieu of duck walking or riding into a spot, you dismount and park it. Safer.

duck walking might look awkward, but it is def safer than dismounting to park.

Your budget allows a CBF1000 - seating is low and adjustable and upright. Will run away from anything mentioned.

This certified with luggage at $3500 is an insane bargain.

$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...0a/1353624528?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

There are others.
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/honda-cbf-1000/k0l9004

Check with Chris South for insurance. csouth@surnet.net
Mine was only a bit more than my Vstrom 650.

It's easy enough to ride that it's considered suitable for newer riders in Europe and the UK.
It's light, under 500 lb and compact.
And you'll get a big grin when you light the wick. Pls multi-day tours no problem. I put on 3,000 km in 4 days last year doing South East Ohio.

This is very good deal as well https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...00/1354601397?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true,

IF you can swing the insurance you won't regret it ....don't make a decision until you talked to Chris.
The seat has three levels of adjustment.

I think the ADV bikes will be too tall.. and the CBX500 a bit boring ..you CAN do the taller bikes ( I have 30" inseam as well ) with boots and lowering but I don't miss my Strom.
The CBF is too much fun and I'm flat foot on it so easy to handle for parking.

Last edited:
Your budget allows a CBF1000 - seating is low and adjustable and upright. Will run away from anything mentioned.

This certified with luggage at $3500 is an insane bargain.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...0a/1353624528?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

There are others.
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/honda-cbf-1000/k0l9004

Check with Chris South for insurance. csouth@surnet.net
Mine was only a bit more than my Vstrom 650.

It's easy enough to ride that it's considered suitable for newer riders in Europe and the UK.
It's light, under 500 lb and compact.
And you'll get a big grin when you light the wick. Pls multi-day tours no problem. I put on 3,000 km in 4 days last year doing South East Ohio.

This is very good deal as well https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...00/1354601397?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true,

IF you can swing the insurance you won't regret it ....don't make a decision until you talked to Chris.
The seat has three levels of adjustment.

I think the ADV bikes will be too tall.. and the CBX500 a bit boring ..you CAN do the taller bikes ( I have 30" inseam as well ) with boots and lowering but I don't miss my Strom.
The CBF is too much fun and I'm flat foot on it so easy to handle for parking.

Just using the online quote tool on Dalton Timmis's website, the insurance is within reason (I consider <$2k to be "within reason", obviously less is better). I do ride 2 up with my girlfriend occasionally but for a bike I'm gonna be commuting with daily, I'm not sure something that heavy is ideal - I'm seeing up to 550 lbs wet.

But I can see how it would make a great tourer though...

that is a good suggestion, very much like an FZ1
underappreciated here in NA

your lads Fazer 8 still for sale MacDoc?
may hit the sweet spot for OP

It's 485 dry weight. Vstrom is 456 but feels significantly heavier due to weight up high. ( remember I've owned both at the same time ).
You won't commute with luggage on ....it's nimble ....staff who has FZ6 said "no way this is a liter bike" , the cbf felt so small.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/insu...ct0909-motorcycle-insurance-bargains-cbf1000/

and you don't have to wind it out to get it to pull....torque comes on smoothly at 3k....easy to drive in the city. When you sit on it and plant both feet solidly you'll understand. Short inseam sucks with top heavy bikes

Brakes will blow you away ...C-ABS ...best I've had.
Weak spot is fuel range 300 km. ...compared to 450 for the Strom.

CB500x will be the fuel and insurance champ and light 427 wet - much fun to ride but no thrill.

your lads Fazer 8 still for sale MacDoc?
may hit the sweet spot for OP
FZ8 and no - it's gone...I actually found it felt more top heavy than the CBF

The other bike you could consider is the VFR800 but similiar weight to the CBF1000 and more agressive seating.
Those that own them really adore them and I've come close a couple of times.

This is a fun read from an experienced 5' 6" rider

http://www.torquemonsters.co.uk/1000roadsters.htm

Last edited:
If you can ride into the spot so that you end up in a “backed in position” by all means, however, in lieu of duck walking or riding into a spot, you dismount and park it. Safer.

I have been riding motorcycles for 45 years and have never dismounted to park. If the parking spot is downhill, back into it using gravity and ride out. If it's uphill pull in forward and use gravity to back out. Wow!

It took me actually owning a cruiser to appreciate one (I also had a pair of nice new GSXR600 and GSXR1000 in the garage to choose from). Now I enjoy every minute of every ride instead of being bored waiting for a nice twisty section and now only have the cruiser in the garage. Plus I always have bags to store things so no more backpacks. Just something to consider.

cbr650fa has everything an ss has and a comfortable seating position and insurance rates are somewhat affordable. Been looking at these to upgrade to next year

Back
Top Bottom