Honda CRF450L Unveiled: The Dual Sport Everyone’s Been Wanting? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CRF450L Unveiled: The Dual Sport Everyone’s Been Wanting?

Looks like Honda actually did a decent job this time. Pricing may be an issue as it is almost as much as a KTM and not quite there in terms of performance. Now they need a similar 250.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Looks like Honda actually did a decent job this time. Pricing may be an issue as it is almost as much as a KTM and not quite there in terms of performance. Now they need a similar 250.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Pricing might be the Achilles heel... until the competition responds. Hmmm, read over Suzuki' stuff -- 'enduro ready', RM450Z is now EPA, larger oil cap, street legal gauges -- if they slapped signals on an RMX450Z they could easily be in the game at a reasonable price (and pleeeeze keep the kick starter!).

To be fair he didn't find anything. A butt dyno is worthless.

Lets get it on an actual dyno before we start claiming numbers.

No kidding - he was impressed by the ability to wheelie in first gear and trying to use that as proof of it's HP... my 1984 22hp XR350R will also wheelie in first gear without tugging on the handlebars or popping the clutch, big deal lmao.

Pricing might be the Achilles heel...

Honda's have always commanded a premium. Judging from early reviews, the quality and build of this thing is top notch. Plus its built in Japan by purists, not Thai slaves.

they'll sell boatloads of these.

Found these on ADVR.
[video=youtube;08q0DZ236tQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=569&v=08q0DZ236tQ[/video]
[video]https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-official-crf450l-owners-thread.1340296/[/video]

Yes.Uncork the intake and dump the heavy exhaust (7 or 8 lbs maybe) with easier breathing and it could see a few more hp.Iceracers will have to do something about the battery.It really should have a kickstart.Interesting!

When Honda released the 250X I was working a check at an enduro and a pre rider suddenly appeared on one. It was so quiet with the stock exhaust he snuck up on us.

In the first 4 minutes of the video link elsewhere the guy in the HRC jacket made the point that they engineered it to be quiet, including "trick" plastic case covers to dampen noise on the cases and sprockets. As anybody who regularly rides off road knows the noise "we" make is what limits where we can ride.

Of course (sadly) there will be plenty of guys who take off the quiet pipe in search of extra power. As the fastest guys I knew always said, "Want to go faster in the woods? Loose 10 pounds, set up your suspension for your weight and exercise regularly." Judging from the video, its not meant to be a race bike and probably wouldn't be a good one.

As for the concerns about price; it's a thoroughly modern, up to date interpretation of a dual purpose bike that has been thoughtfully engineered for that purpose. The arguably short maintenance intervals really aren't a big deal as it a bike for built for day rides and local fooling around. EXACTLY what I like to do.

As happy as I've been with my KTM's the video had raised my interest in this bike. I think I need to look for a local Honda dealer.

Finally dyno-ed: 38.21 hp

4qkcbd.jpg

https://www.cycleworld.com/how-much-power-does-2019-honda-crf450l-make

The best thing about this bike is the fact that a Japan company is in the market which will hopefully prompt the others to jump in as well.
I feel the power figure is a lame-duck but having ridden a real 450 in the woods I'd be fine with a lower (actually much lower compared to a real 450) but at least put it on par weight-wise. 20lbs is a lot of bulk in the trails.

Back
Top Bottom