Honda CRF450L Unveiled: The Dual Sport Everyone’s Been Wanting? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CRF450L Unveiled: The Dual Sport Everyone’s Been Wanting?

I really like the looks of this bike.

Doing some airbox mods, a pipe and remap will bring the power way up back to where the X model is. Not really a big deal and unfortunately just the way things are with emissions. The big thing hurting this motor is that part of emissions the motor has to last for at least 30,000km (how KTM exc's get by this is beyond me, probably 3 pistons minimum 2 by 30,000km) before any internal work like top end etc is required. No high performance 450 is going to last that long end of story. Usually looking in the 80-100 hour range for most 450's.

Once it's in consumers hands I bet 5lbs of useless sound deadening covers comes off and horsepower in the mid 40's. Ride it to the corner store or throw some numbers on it and enter a hare scramble or enduro and race the thing. Weight on this is ready to ride fuelled up btw KTM quotes dry numbers. I bet roll them over the scales and it's a 20 pound difference which falls in line with the mx bikes.

Really really good forks on this bike from the CRF450R. Basically pro level A-Kit stuff from only a few years ago minus some special coatings and other trick pieces.

I really like the looks of this bike.

Doing some airbox mods, a pipe and remap will bring the power way up back to where the X model is. Not really a big deal and unfortunately just the way things are with emissions. The big thing hurting this motor is that part of emissions the motor has to last for at least 30,000km (how KTM exc's get by this is beyond me, probably 3 pistons minimum 2 by 30,000km) before any internal work like top end etc is required. No high performance 450 is going to last that long end of story. Usually looking in the 80-100 hour range for most 450's.
I don't think it's that simple -- the crank, rod, piston are different am also guessing the high tech uni-cam head doesn't come on the street version -- I don't think liberating a few ponies will be easy or cheap.

To expensive, too under powered.

I Honda loosing touch with the motorcycle market? In the last few years: They introduced a weak series of bikes that are either last in class CB300, CB500, NC750, and African Twin or have already been scuttled -- Vultus, CTX, VFR1200. Then they euthanized many long term performers (VFR, ST1300, VT750 and VTX).

Now we have a new Rebels which looks like a Blue Collar Bobbers hack of the CB300 and 500 and the CR450l which hardly competes with its baby brother.

What's up Honda?

I don't think it's that simple -- the crank, rod, piston are different am also guessing the high tech uni-cam head doesn't come on the street version -- I don't think liberating a few ponies will be easy or cheap.

To expensive, too under powered.

What's up Honda?

I'm not as concerned about the power, and I wouldn't bother making it noisier with a pipe.

As much as I liked my 530EXC I'm looking for something less hard edged BUT with good suspension. I want a dual sport that I can ride quiet country roads (and stay quiet), explore trails and unopened roads, and when I feel like it, pick up the pace a bit in single track. Crappy or cheap suspension slows you down more in tight stuff than lacking HP.

I don't mind maintenance but a bit longer service intervals are better and can be expected on this bike.

At the same time, I'm 99% sure I won't spend 13K buying one, it is priced on the high side.

Incidentally, when I sold it my 530 had 214 hrs. and 13,000km on original top end parts and still had less than 5% loss on a leak down test. There were no race miles on it, just trail rides and dual sport stuff. Following the maintenance schedules per the manufacturers recommendations pays off.

Heavier crank for better traction, lower compression piston and different cams otherwise very similar to the CRF450R engine. That engine generally makes upper 50's on a dyno. I can see this 450L being down on power 15-20% once it's uncorked...I highly doubt they killed over half the power the original engine was making.

I agree with everything else you said about Honda except the Africa Twin. I'm generally not a fan of their line up at all.

I agree with everything else you said about Honda except the Africa Twin. I'm generally not a fan of their line up at all.
I like the African Twin, and it's great they didn't kill that off too. The disappointment is they took an iconic name, African Twin, and slapped it on a bike that ends up last in virtually every shootout - it's not competitive with KTM, Yamaha or BMW -- it's on it's own. It's still a great bike, but I think it's going the way of their many of their new car release cars -- having birthdays on dealer lots.

I like the African Twin, and it's great they didn't kill that off too. The disappointment is they took an iconic name, African Twin, and slapped it on a bike that ends up last in virtually every shootout - it's not competitive with KTM, Yamaha or BMW -- it's on it's own. It's still a great bike, but I think it's going the way of their many of their new car release cars -- having birthdays on dealer lots.

I've seen quite a few Africa Twins on the roads. Maybe they're priced right and the dealer network is good. Were/are there non-currents available?

I think the days of the shootouts or tests having an impact on sales are over. The motorcycle "press" is so fragmented nowadays with so few print publications and the proliferation of online more-or-less amateur bloggers, I think the overall impact is reduced.

I've seen quite a few Africa Twins on the roads. Maybe they're priced right and the dealer network is good. Were/are there non-currents available?

I think the days of the shootouts or tests having an impact on sales are over. The motorcycle "press" is so fragmented nowadays with so few print publications and the proliferation of online more-or-less amateur bloggers, I think the overall impact is reduced.
Agreed. When a review of a wr250r starts with "Holy crap! This thing is fast!" I'm out.
I'm also not seeing many non current AT sales out there. Quite a few of them in the Scar adv club.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

My local Honda dealer has 20 adv bikes in stock -- 12 of them are non-current years. I know it's common for bikes to stay around for more than a year, but having a majority of your inventory as old stock? That's never a good thing.

I feel like it has to be a copy/paste error from an upcoming ATV model announcement. The HP and torque numbers are pretty close to this 2014 TRX420: https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/motorcycles/media/pressreleases/35442/2014-trx420-fourtrax
26.6 BHP = 19.8Kw
24.6 ft/lb = 33Nm

If that is correct (whether the typo is from the TRX or from the CRF250L), someone at Honda better loose their job over this discrepancy.

I've lost sleep over trying to decide whether 'is this and error (should put down deposit immediately)' or 'is this for real and honda is on crack (no deposit, and buy a Beta)'...

I do feel that at this point SOMEONE should have had a rebuttal/correction from the Big Red, and so far none of the publications or 'insiders' have refuted the numbers. Crazy though that if true they literally decided and were successful in killing 1/2 of the engine's potential with a few EPA modifications. Which would be incredibly absurd, and pointless.... as same bike could then be achieved by putting the 450 forks on the CRF250L

All of this could be just marketing at it's finest.Just sayin'.

If that is correct (whether the typo is from the TRX or from the CRF250L), someone at Honda better loose their job over this discrepancy.

I've lost sleep over trying to decide whether 'is this and error (should put down deposit immediately)' or 'is this for real and honda is on crack (no deposit, and buy a Beta)'...

I do feel that at this point SOMEONE should have had a rebuttal/correction from the Big Red, and so far none of the publications or 'insiders' have refuted the numbers. Crazy though that if true they literally decided and were successful in killing 1/2 of the engine's potential with a few EPA modifications. Which would be incredibly absurd, and pointless.... as same bike could then be achieved by putting the 450 forks on the CRF250L
I doubt this is an error. The specs went out to a few thousand journalists before launch -- pretty good chance the question was asked to Honda marketing... a few thousand times... before the first article was printed.

Honda has made a number of big stumbles in the MC market. My guess is they are focusing on emerging markets in Asia and India where they sell a lot more motorcycles. Or maybe they are as their new CEO said 'a company that has become so boring they are the new Buick'.

On ADVRider there is an alleged confirmation of the power numbers from a Honda Europe representative.

There's also lots of talk that these crippled power numbers are totally industry standard across the board, in order to meet noise standards. There has been more than one mention of throttle stops, 3000k rpm limiters, airbox restrictors, etc, from all the manufacturers. KTM was specifically mentioned more than once as doing this, but all that stuff gets pulled off by the dealer before it ever gets delivered to the customer.

Which 20 adventure bikes? Makes a difference.
For example, Markham Outdoor Power (honda dealer local to you) has three non current adv bikes. Two 2017 varadero and 1 AT 2017 dct. They are also way overpriced, not surprised they are still sitting, especially the varadero.

Last edited:
Which 20 adventure bikes? Makes a difference.
For example, Markham Outdoor Power (honda dealer local to you) has three non current adv bikes. Two 2017 varadero and 1 AT 2017 dct. They are also way overpriced, not surprised they are still sitting, especially the varadero.

ADV Bikes in stock at Markham Power that have had a birthday:

CR250L: 2
CB500X: 2
XR650: 1
NCX750x: 5
VFR1200x: 2
Africans: 4

https://www.markhamoutdoorpower.com.../sort/year-oldest/brand/Honda/class/Adventure

There has been more than one mention of throttle stops, 3000k rpm limiters, airbox restrictors, etc, from all the manufacturers. KTM was specifically mentioned more than once as doing this, but all that stuff gets pulled off by the dealer before it ever gets delivered to the customer.

The problem is that at this point there is no way to for sure tell if this HP limit is truly THAT artificial (and thus so easily by-passed). Customers are sitting money in hand and can't tell if its their dream bike or bad product development joke.

Why is it so heavy if it has performance specs? If i have to live with high performance maintenance it should be 50lbs lighter

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The L bikes have always been heavier.

I have a street plated CRF450X and that is definately the way to go. If this is anything like the other L models, expect heavy metal tanks and stuff to be standard for safety reasons, increasing the weight significantly.

As awesome as my 450X is though, it's really not that great on the road. Taking it on the highway you do get blown around by big trucks pretty easy. I don't know what kinda market we have for the 450L here in Canada.

There's a market but unfortunately manufacturers are not hitting it at all. A light, highway capable motorcycle that can take you to a crown land and let you enjoy some single track forest trails as well as logging roads up north, without running out of gas after 90km. The best bike for this market at the moment is a DRZ400 but it is very outdated, a bit heavy with a weak suspension.
If this new Honda was a bit cheaper, with more power and a larger fuel tank, I'd consider it.

Sifting thru threads on ADVRider,it is starting to sound like the numbers (except weight) will make sense once the motor is "uncorked".My ears are open.

This guy contacted Honda USA, who say horsepower for the US version of the CRF450L will be “in the forties”, which makes much more sense:
https://www.citybike.com/news-clues...new-2019-honda-crf450l-coming-this-september/

Honda Europe should have just omitted the power numbers entirely, like KTM and Honda USA does. I can't imagine what they were thinking publishing that.

That article also says valve inspection is 1,800 miles (2900km) which isn't fantastic, but it does compare favorably with the 500EXC's suggested 15hr valve inspection interval.

Back
Top Bottom