Hawaii, anyone following the flow | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hawaii, anyone following the flow

nobbie48

Site Supporter
I've never been there but it seems paradise has it's problems too. Coming from boring stable central Canada I have a problem wrapping my head around living in unstable areas, volcanoes, earthquakes, flood plains etc.

Does fire insurance cover volcanoes?

Apparently the lava flow is now threatening the geothermal power plant that supplies a significant part of Hawaii's electrical power. Badness may be about to occur.

Canada may seem stable but there's a reason Mt Tremblent is called Mt Tremblent. We get a few small earthquakes most years it seems but nothing like Hawaii. I've been on the slopes of a volcano while it was erupting and it's an amazing display of power. It was quite safe, it was Arenal in Costa Rica but you could feel and hear the rumbling. Unfortunately I didn't see any lava flow as the thing was in cloud all the time. I also made plans to go and see a rising lava lake in a volcano in Nicaragua that had just become active, Masaya. It was one of only three in the world with a lava lake that could be viewed easily. I couldn't go in the end as wife wasn't feeling well but she promised me we would go back. It will have to be soon though as these things can go as quickly as they appear. There were rules at Masaya, they only let so many cars up at a time, you had to park nose out for a quick getaway and you were only allowed 5 minutes at the crater rim because of noxious gases. While I was in Nicaragua a volcanologist fell into the crater and was rescued after cooking for a while...he was alive but a bit dehydrated.

Canada may seem stable but there's a reason Mt Tremblent is called Mt Tremblent. We get a few small earthquakes most years it seems but nothing like Hawaii. I've been on the slopes of a volcano while it was erupting and it's an amazing display of power. It was quite safe, it was Arenal in Costa Rica but you could feel and hear the rumbling. Unfortunately I didn't see any lava flow as the thing was in cloud all the time. I also made plans to go and see a rising lava lake in a volcano in Nicaragua that had just become active, Masaya. It was one of only three in the world with a lava lake that could be viewed easily. I couldn't go in the end as wife wasn't feeling well but she promised me we would go back. It will have to be soon though as these things can go as quickly as they appear. There were rules at Masaya, they only let so many cars up at a time, you had to park nose out for a quick getaway and you were only allowed 5 minutes at the crater rim because of noxious gases. While I was in Nicaragua a volcanologist fell into the crater and was rescued after cooking for a while...he was alive but a bit dehydrated.
Sounds awesome. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

I've got friends that have been in Hawaii for the past two weeks. They said they've been all around various islands there and volcano isn't affecting anything except close to it.

Ever since we left that island I've seen a false missile warning & a volcano erupt. Good thing it happened while we left.

My memories of this place.
d28ec9290c211f3758a87b28fb105252.jpg

e490494a999b7eae6f68dcba755370fd.jpg

Not that it matters much to the people impacted by this, it is on the big island (Hawaiʻi)--population ~190K. The most populated island is Oʻahu (much smaller island) at just under a million people. Based on my research entirely based on watching Dog the Bounty Hunter the big island can be pretty rough in many places...

My guess is insurance does not cover this unless it is specifically underwritten in the policy (for extra $$$s), if a sates of emergency is declared than maybe some FEMA money????

yeah the insurance situation would be dodgy I bet

I envy Americans having a place like that in the Union they can decide to go live at
we need a tropical province

A fair few people with vacation homes lost a lot of their cash in Costa Rica when an earthquake occurred on a fault line near some popular expat places several years back. I remember looking at property and seeing more construction details listed afterwards in the property listings regarding earthquake proofing, people were kind of blasé/naïve before that. When I was in San Francisco a while back I walked across the golden gate bridge and noticed that houses on the other side built on the hill were all constructed on stilt platforms too. That has to cost a pretty penny to build houses that way. Unfortunately some beautiful places in the world come with a few compromises to make and some hidden dangers that might affect your wallet.

Most people think of these as "just" tropical islands when in actual fact they are volcanic mountains (that dwarf Everest) spread out over one of the most tectonically-active regions on the planet: Hawaii is the ******* of the Pacfic Ring of Fire.

So people built their homes on the summit of active volcanoes. What did they think was eventually going to happen?

I heard it's really hard to buy property there. Not much is open to development. It's like a green belt with lots of natives.

Back
Top Bottom