Luck, great riding skills or both? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Luck, great riding skills or both?

Fortune favours the prepared mind ....look at his focus.

Yeah, he was mentally with that the whole way. Very impressive.

Good move by the rider. I tried to pull that one off in a bicycle crash but failed and got hurt.

Another link as the first video wasn't working for me.

[video]https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--olxy_Cr_--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/rhlqy8t72d1dm7j88f5v.mp4[/video]

I'll give that one 20% skill and 80% luck.If he hadn't hit the downed bike at exactly 90 degrees while it was laying parallel to the ground it would have been totally different.Getting back on the throttle in the gravel was great talent tho.Ever try riding in a gravel trap?

I doubt he could do it again with 1000 chances. It's one of those amazing flukes that can't be explained.

I'd say it's mostly skill. The physics of the collision are just part of the problem he was faced with. It's not 'luck' that someone crashed in front of him.

The fact that it was a collision which could be rode through is incidental to the fact that he managed to ride through it without crashing himself. That part was skill.

I'd say it's mostly skill. The physics of the collision are just part of the problem he was faced with. It's not 'luck' that someone crashed in front of him.

The fact that it was a collision which could be rode through is incidental to the fact that he managed to ride through it without crashing himself. That part was skill.

I agree that it is mostly skill, but he was also lucky, especially since he landed on gravel and knowing how little amount of traction those tires have on gravel, he was lucky not to loose control.

watched this again

the jumper appears to be on the race line with the other riders
guy in front of him goes down and instead of continuing his corner like the rest
jumper goes bolt upright and follows the downed bike right off the tarmac
then completes his awesome jump and nails the landing

so even a pro rider can suffer object fixation
luckily this guy has a moto-x background to do the jump

If he hit the bike with a bit of lean angle, which was very possible since he was so close, he never would have had a chance. Standing the bike up is probably part of what saved him.

yup, still very impressive....here's a different look at it

[video=youtube;PPo1GN5RvH8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPo1GN5RvH8[/video]

Last edited:
His bike also slowed down when he stood it up so his path crossed the path of the other bike later. Even looking at it frame by frame it's doubtful there would have been room for him between the downed bike and the rider behind him, who stayed mostly leaned over.

Luck that the bike going down spun just enough for him to hit it at 90 degrees and where there was enough of the bike to make a ramp. Skill that he kept it on the gas and motocrossed thru the gravel. Most practice with motocross too. Does Kornfiel? If so not much of a stretch for him to keep going in the dirt.

"I just saw the bike in front of me, so I could make the perfect jump and I just said ‘ok, that’s just like motocross training!’
I just opened the gas and tried, in the air, and tried to survive and stay on the bike...In my mind there was only one sentence:
‘keep the gas,’ because when you land in motocross always need to have the throttle. "

It's nice that he made.He does have skills.But he is talking about it like he had time to plan the move.Nah.....lucky.

It's nice that he made.He does have skills.But he is talking about it like he had time to plan the move.Nah.....lucky.

He probably did plan it.

What he did is similarly done by anyone that's repeatedly done something and became an expert at it.

Someone is gonna laugh at me for this...but meh. This happens a lot in video games with players that have spent far too much time gaming; we'll switch from game x to y, and because a worked in x, we try a in y and it works in y.

I can also, for example, pick up an instrument I've never touched in my life and figure out how to play the Pokemon theme within 5 minutes because I've spent 20 years playing the cello.

This actually what makes humans superior to many other animals, we have incredible pattern recognition and retention skills; the two examples above can be applied to any activity one has near mastery in.

He is entirely focused on clearing that bike...you can see it....much riding skill is muscle memory - it's not so much planned as executed without thinking about it because the skill sets are there.
There are a hundred things experienced riders even on the street do without even consciously thinking about them....one reason it is hard to teach.

That was the same skill that allows him to judge slipping between riders....see the opening move.

Weight off the front ....don't think just do ...if you have to think it's too late.

One of the trickier bits of teaching new pilots is not to let the plane get ahead of them. They don't have the reactions built up sp gret flustered part way through the landing circuit.

I'm sure track riders go through a similar learning sequence and top end ones have been doing it on two wheels for a good long time.
There is no time to plan ....it's your learned skill set that carries you.....and got him through a tight spot.

Luck that the crashed bike was positioned.....skill that he took advantage of that split second window.

He "rode" his bike over the other then out of the gravel....luck would be me hanging on for dear life hoping for the best.....not this guy.

Back
Top Bottom