Hi I'm Dave | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hi I'm Dave

gdrwx

Hey I want to buy my first bike and think I like the looks of a '83 CBX550f--it looks to be in great shape- in the pics anyway. I'm sure I could do a fair amount of any necessary work with annual in hand if the party are available-- I know there are aftermarket sites online just wouldn't know where to begin--like I've got no idea what could/will need work with a bike this age--any enthusiasts out there?
Thanks!

welcome....neat bike, not many left around
those vintage Honda I4's have a following
brakes were kinda weird, triple disks but inside a drum to hide them
would make visual inspection impossible, maybe something to be aware of

Welcome to the forum

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Not the easiest motorcycle to learn to wrench on. Think single cylinder, a 4 cylinder engine really is 4 times the complexity.

1983 vintage bike; absolutely every piece of original rubber on the bike will be done for, front fork fluid will be original sludge, wheel and chassis bearings or bushings will be toast, carburetors will require annual maintenance (all four of them then need to be balanced, a single carb will never need balancing, just maintenance)

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the info--I got a 2005 ninja 500r-should be safetied midweek. I haven't done lots of research but what I have seen/heard its simple and cheap to keep going- on the road next weekend I think!

Hey thanks for the info--I got a 2005 ninja 500r-should be safetied midweek. I haven't done lots of research but what I have seen/heard its simple and cheap to keep going- on the road next weekend I think!

Much better choice as first bike, this one was made in this century, half as many carbs to clean, almost guaranteed the front forks will still have the original sludge in them.

Ya I have to say that I like the looks of some of last centuries stuff over the looks of this century but I wanna ride it not look at it(as much)!

Welcome.

Got any pics of your Ninja?

Back
Top Bottom