has anyone got a ticket in the HOV on the 404 or other highways? | GTAMotorcycle.com

has anyone got a ticket in the HOV on the 404 or other highways?

amp3d

Site Supporter
I see bikes all the time on the HOV lane southbound 404. I take it sometimes as well, never had an issue, and I've never actually seen an officer pull the bikes over.

That said, pretty sure we aren't supposed to be riding solo there.

I do see them pinching cagers all the time though.

Has anyone had a different experience than me in those lanes? (while riding responsibly of course!)

Last edited:
I got a ticket on 403 a few years ago on a bike, making that very same assumption that bikes are immune.

I would have a hard time believing any cop would ignore it, it would be the easiest ticket they've written all day. With a car at least there's a chance you can't see whether or not there are passengers

I got a ticket on 403 a few years ago on a bike, making that very same assumption that bikes are immune.
Ouch! What were the results of the ticket? Demerit points?

Thanks for sharing, I might think twice about using those lanes now.

That said, I do see bikes all the time casually cruise right on by the police without issue.

Police should be more concerned about drivers running offramps instead of those HOV lanes. Cagers are horrible during rush hour!

No worries buddy.

The ticket was something around $120 i think back then (go back 4 years) and 2 demerit points if i remember correctly. It does affect your insurance btw since its a moving violation. Some companies might not raise your premium but they definitely can.

I still see bikes doing it but the stretch of 403 that i ride on, is fuill of cops. Every single day i see someone pulled over so i dont risk it anymore and i wouldnt suggest it. Not worth the hassle and insurance increase IMO

Penalties for improper use of high occupancy vehicle lane:

Three demerit points
$110.00 set fine
A conviction on your driving record

Got it while solo in the car, bikes definitely aren't allowed.

We are allowed in the city HOV lanes though.

are we allowed if it's 2 up? it has a vehicle picture with a "2" inside, but what about motorcycles with a passenger?

are we allowed if it's 2 up? it has a vehicle picture with a "2" inside, but what about motorcycles with a passenger?

Yes you can Jimsun if 2 up on a motorcycle.

a3cc4e6327df3ebc43441489ae56a239.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My cooling fan went out a few years ago and the first time I noticed was when I wss riding down the 404.

I tried to keep temps down by shutting the engine off when stopped but it didn't help. That wide open diamond lane was calling my name so I took it. I even took the diamond off ramp to the 401 to avoid confestion even though that's not where I was heading.

No cops luckily. I wonder if my use would have been defensible in court on the grounds of safety, and for the sake of avoiding making traffic worse if I had pulled over on the shoulder?

My cooling fan went out a few years ago and the first time I noticed was when I wss riding down the 404.

I tried to keep temps down by shutting the engine off when stopped but it didn't help. That wide open diamond lane was calling my name so I took it. I even took the diamond off ramp to the 401 to avoid confestion even though that's not where I was heading.

No cops luckily. I wonder if my use would have been defensible in court on the grounds of safety, and for the sake of avoiding making traffic worse if I had pulled over on the shoulder?

There were no exits between where you noticed the problem and the 401? It seems like a reasonable argument and I would hope you would win if you noticed south of sheppard, but I'm not sure that would fly if you were in the HOV from above the 407.

Yes you can Jimsun if 2 up on a motorcycle.

a3cc4e6327df3ebc43441489ae56a239.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i know this is off topic, but since we are talking about it: I am assuming electric motorcycles are allowed without a passanger? do they fall into the Ontario green license plate rule?
and what if you dont have a green license plate, lets say i buy a tesla and i get a personalized license plate? Do i still qualify to take the HOV alone ?

i know this is off topic, but since we are talking about it: I am assuming electric motorcycles are allowed without a passanger? do they fall into the Ontario green license plate rule?
and what if you dont have a green license plate, lets say i buy a tesla and i get a personalized license plate? Do i still qualify to take the HOV alone ?

They actually do not. Another member here bought one and she doesn't qualify for the green plates.

Telsa - Maybe they have personalized green ones?

It’s just like anything. You do something and nothing happens. Do it more often and sure enough, you’ll get a ticket. Some folks break the law and get caught the first time. Most get caught after a time.

The more you do it, the more you increase your chances of getting caught.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apparently no, no and no.

List of vehicles that are green plate eligible (no bikes on the list)
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/green-plates-eligible-vehicle.shtml

No personalized green plates available apparently. Some Tesla owners were going on "I have a green vehicle so I can drive in the HOV lane". Apparently that has been sorted out now and it is no bueno.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/ontario-green-plates.38146/page-4
"Realize it's an old thread, however I can confirm from my experience using the HOV on the 403 through Mississauga this morning, that flying solo, in the epitomy of a green production vehicle, without a green plate will result in a $110 ticket. Law is the plate must be a green one. Constable explained that he nails hybrids quite often, however even though he agrees our Tesla is green, the legislation is the plate must be green too. What is the chance our savvy Min of Transportation will ever issue Green Vanity plates. It would most likely cost more to fight the ticket, anyone know if someone has been successful in doing so though?"

I see single rider bikes on the 404 HOV almost every day. Never seen one pulled over. I know the day my front wheel crosses over the line I will get nailed. Sometimes I wonder why it is, bikes need to be 2 up but cars with 5 seats only need 2 occupants? Now don't get me started on minivans!

I see single rider bikes on the 404 HOV almost every day. Never seen one pulled over. I know the day my front wheel crosses over the line I will get nailed. Sometimes I wonder why it is, bikes need to be 2 up but cars with 5 seats only need 2 occupants? Now don't get me started on minivans!

HOV is mainly a political game. If it was based on minimizing emissions, the green cars should be doing stop and go and the trucks should be allowed to keep moving.

The space used by any vehicle (bike or car) is roughly the same (unless you get multiple bikes in formation). Theoretically HOV lanes reduce the road required to <25 m/occupant from ~50 m/occupant for a single occupant vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom