Replacing 30+yr old fuel lines/filter | GTAMotorcycle.com

Replacing 30+yr old fuel lines/filter

JP0160

Quick question, I want to replace my 30+ year old fuel lines with something more modern that can deal with ethanol fuel. I understand the o-rings and such in the carbs are probably made from the same old rubber, and they will be replaced with a full carb service at the end of this season.

My bike has this weird red braided fuel line that goes from the main tank to the aux, and from the aux to the carb. I've seen a few pics of them online so I know it's OEM, I assume it's for heat protection? What modern equivalent would I replace that with? It is ID 6mm or 1/4". I guess the rubber lines can be replaced with modern rubber fuel lines?

My OEM fuel filter is so-so and I can't find the micron count anywhere, could I swap to a Napa 3011 12 micron filter or would that restrict the flow somehow?

Usually the braided coverings on OEM lines are for abrasion protection, not for heat. The standard black fuel hoses stand up to engine heat just fine.

If it were me, I'd replace the fuel filter with a new OEM one and leave everything else alone, if nothing's split or leaking. If the bike has been in more or less continuous use all the fuel gaskets & lines are probably OK

Usually the braided coverings on OEM lines are for abrasion protection, not for heat. The standard black fuel hoses stand up to engine heat just fine.

If it were me, I'd replace the fuel filter with a new OEM one and leave everything else alone, if nothing's split or leaking. If the bike has been in more or less continuous use all the fuel gaskets & lines are probably OK
Thats what I would like to do as it's all in good shape, just old. But so many people have drilled into my head that modern fuel with ethanol will destroy my lines and o-rings.

That makes sense for the braiding to be for abrasion resistance, it is in a few very tight spots. Thanks

30 year old fuel line will be brittle regardless what's been running through it
may not be a problem until it's disturbed
but certainly nothing wrong with changing it out prior to it becoming a problem
that red braid may be hiding the cracks underneath

Back
Top Bottom