OOPS! Not charges I'd want to be dealing with | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

OOPS! Not charges I'd want to be dealing with

Here's a tough one. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/motorcycle-sidewalk-cayuga-1.4651243 The story is light on details. Ontario case law has firmly established sidewalks are not part of the HTA, be intersecting to see if this is overreach of the rider did some serious stunting before he hit the sidewalk.
Oh well this is just complete FU**ING BULLCHIT!!! I ride my bike roughly 10 ft on the sidewalk every other day in downtown burly to park infront of a shop rather than looking 15 minutes for a parking spot. No civilians complain, if anything they chat with me...not to mention the shop owner was the one who said "why not just park in front of the shop". What a clown of a cop to charge him with stunt driving....give me a FU**ING break. This actually pisses me off so much. Maybe the cop caught his wife sucking their neighbours knob the night before when he came home early from work and was in a grumpy mood.

I used to stop and walk my bike across the sidewalk to park at CBC. Eventually, enough stupid and lazy people found the spot, and rode along the sidewalk forcing pedestrians to dodge them. Parking was suspended when the new tower started going up, and never came back afterwards. Some people never learn.

No helmet taps! Stupid enough to do this on public roads - you deserve to have (not just the book) but the chopper thrown at you. However poor helicopter doesn't deserve such treatment.

Moron

Just to be clear, up to what speed do we have solidarity?

Oh well this is just complete FU**ING BULLCHIT!!! I ride my bike roughly 10 ft on the sidewalk every other day in downtown burly to park infront of a shop rather than looking 15 minutes for a parking spot. No civilians complain, if anything they chat with me...not to mention the shop owner was the one who said "why not just park in front of the shop". What a clown of a cop to charge him with stunt driving....give me a FU**ING break. This actually pisses me off so much. Maybe the cop caught his wife sucking their neighbours knob the night before when he came home early from work and was in a grumpy mood.

Do you end up parking on a piece of private property that is not accessible without crossing the sidewalk as you describe or do you park on the city owned sidewalk. If the latter the shop owner likely doesn't have the authority to grant you the permission to park there.

In the GTA it is common to have to look for parking spots. Does having a motorcycle negate that?

Most laws are needed but petty enforcement isn't. The Cayuga incident may have other factors. Loud pipes, aggressive attitude etc.

I get annoyed when cagers run stops, make sloppy turns, park like A-holes, lane wander, fail to signal etc so why wouldn't cagers get annoyed when we break laws. If we want respect we have to also show it. None of us are special.

Do you end up parking on a piece of private property that is not accessible without crossing the sidewalk as you describe or do you park on the city owned sidewalk. If the latter the shop owner likely doesn't have the authority to grant you the permission to park there.

In the GTA it is common to have to look for parking spots. Does having a motorcycle negate that?

Most laws are needed but petty enforcement isn't. The Cayuga incident may have other factors. Loud pipes, aggressive attitude etc.

I get annoyed when cagers run stops, make sloppy turns, park like A-holes, lane wander, fail to signal etc so why wouldn't cagers get annoyed when we break laws. If we want respect we have to also show it. None of us are special.

It's fair to get annoyed and maybe event vent a bit but I refuse to be lectured by someone who likely had their head buried in their phone a few minutes before I lane split past them. I've had a handful of chats with people while stuck in traffic and none had an issue with responsible lane splitting. A few others have rolled up and started blasting me, I simply tell them I'm open to discussing each point of view but if they want anything else they should move on.

Out of context but I guess I'm venting lol.

Last edited:
At least in the 1960's the QEW is where the OPP started off their rookies, doing highway patrol. If they could develop a stomach for the carnage they dealt with on a weekly basis, they would have earned a transfer to something less gruesome. It was much worse than the 401 of the time.

My Grandrather was rookie OPP out of St Catherines during this period. He would’ve echoed this. He never admitted it but I think he actually had PTSD from working those highway shifts. Gruesome vehicle accidents. He took to drinking to deal with it and eventually left the force (or was pushed out, it’s not exactly clear). Crazy times.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

My Grandrather was rookie OPP out of St Catherines during this period. He would’ve echoed this. He never admitted it but I think he actually had PTSD from working those highway shifts. Gruesome vehicle accidents. He took to drinking to deal with it and eventually left the force (or was pushed out, it’s not exactly clear). Crazy times.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back then there were intersections on the QEW between Hamilton and Niagara instead of fly overs. People using the cross roads would blast across the first two lanes when they saw a gap and slam on the brakes in the median, then when the way was clear blast across the other two lanes. You always had some doubt whether they were going to stop in the median. I'm sure it caused some rear enders. I always felt the lanes were narrower as well and there were only two each way.

Back then there were intersections on the QEW between Hamilton and Niagara instead of fly overs. People using the cross roads would blast across the first two lanes when they saw a gap and slam on the brakes in the median, then when the way was clear blast across the other two lanes. You always had some doubt whether they were going to stop in the median. I'm sure it caused some rear enders. I always felt the lanes were narrower as well and there were only two each way.

Ugh, that happens all the time in Florida (except without the blasting). They have old-timers trying to cross 60 mph roads into the median with daily fatalities.

Back
Top Bottom