How much would you be willing to pay for insurance? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How much would you be willing to pay for insurance?

No more than 250-300 per month but being 21 it's quite easy to push that boundary depending on bike.

I've never paid more than 1500 a year, EVER. No matter what bike, I'd say that's my limit. Too many other things I could do for north of 2 grand a year

From the article:

Second, by spreading risk over the entire population – good drivers as well as bad — it reduces the average cost of insurance.

Why make good drivers subsidize the bad?

If you're a bad driver get a metro pass until you smarten up.

Bonus: If 10% of the drivers have to go public transit think about the reduction in traffic jams.

I'm happy with my rates but not what I get for them.

Pathetic rehab

Pathetic real value on damaged property

Pathetic income replacement

Also from the article:

Then the industry told them that accident victims didn’t need all of the no-fault benefits they were being offered and would be content with less.

No one asked me if I would be happy with a few hundred dollars income replacement per week.

Last edited:
I've never paid more than 1500 a year, EVER. No matter what bike, I'd say that's my limit. Too many other things I could do for north of 2 grand a year

Pretty much where I'd be at as well, myself. Paying less than half that now.

Pretty much where I'd be at as well, myself. Paying less than half that now.

Makes me appreciate no longer being in the sport segment. ZX6 was 1500, my KLR is 500 a year. In Hamilton no less

Everyone wants freedom.... Well we have it in so much as you're free to not pay for anything you don't need or want as far as ins goes...

Too expensive?
Don't buy it and don't ride.

The insurance industry doesn't owe anyone anything.

The insurance industry doesn't owe anyone anything.

Actually, few things in life owe you anything once you're an adult.

A lot of people think the world owes them everything. That's the first issue.

My max is $1000.00 per year, as I have never paid more than that in my 40+ years of riding. I was seriously considering selling my bike and quitting riding when I received my renewal in January. After looking around I found a better rate so I'll continue for at least another year. Will see what next years renewal brings.

I started at around $1200, went up to $1300 if i remember well... now down to below $900 past 2 yrs. i think $1k+ would be where i'd reconsider

No more than 250-300 per month but being 21 it's quite easy to push that boundary depending on bike.

I had a similar mindset when I first started riding at 19.

My first year (18 ), the cheapest rate I found was $3500 in one pre-payment.. I found that too much for me - especially for a CBR125.
The next was a bit more reasonable at $1900 for the year - monthly payments.

As I grew older, I bought a place, the bills piled, and other responsibilities came up. That previous disposable income I had wasn't so readily available anymore, and what I thought was reasonable at the time, isn't such anymore.
8 years later, I'm paying $650/yr and would deem $1000/yr too much.

That being said, I don't regret paying what I did for the experience because I could afford it at the time.

What about that number in between 1501 and 1999? :D

I had a similar mindset when I first started riding at 19.

My first year (18 ), the cheapest rate I found was $3500 in one pre-payment.. I found that too much for me - especially for a CBR125.
The next was a bit more reasonable at $1900 for the year - monthly payments.

As I grew older, I bought a place, the bills piled, and other responsibilities came up. That previous disposable income I had wasn't so readily available anymore, and what I thought was reasonable at the time, isn't such anymore.
8 years later, I'm paying $650/yr and would deem $1000/yr too much.

That being said, I don't regret paying what I did for the experience because I could afford it at the time.

Yeah I can see that. Currently I'm fairly well off for my age where I'm able to do the things I enjoy, pay my bills and save for the future but It does kind of suck to be paying more for my bike than my car. I'm currently paying a bit over 2k a year for an sv650 but it will be nice to be around the 1k ballpark in the upcoming years.

As income is tight for me and I'd be a new rider whenever I go to get my licence, I'd say my absolute max is $100/month ($1200/year) for something in the 125-250cc range, preferably that includes full coverage though i'd go without collision if I have to to get the price down.

Back
Top Bottom