My first SuperSport review | GTAMotorcycle.com

My first SuperSport review

FattBoyy

I have been riding 8 years. Last month a friend of mine was leaving country and I had a chance to buy a 2010 cbr600rr with ABS. Back in 2015 he had dropped the bike twice in one summer trying to teach himself to wheelie. I was there once..The bike had cosmetic damage to the bar end, to the swing arm and chinese fairings! And a slightly twisted subframe

It came with an extra set of brand new chinese fairings! I knew the bike very well and knew mechanically it was fine. The price was $3200 the mileage was only 17k so I couldn’t say no. I bought her.

I brought her home. Stripped off the fairings,oil change, coolant flush, new air filter. With the help of Gtam members, I straightened out the subframe (Have a thread on the fix). I touched up the scratches on the fairing and swing arm. I did not even bother putting on the brand new chinese fairings. I figured if I am changing fairings I am getting used oem. I even did a tail chop and built a custom plate holder and change to led blinkers to clean up the back end...

After putting her back together..btw these chimes fairings are a nightmare ... I took her out for 2 rides

I own a 2005 monster 800 and a 2008 hypermotard 1100, so this review is in light of my experience with them.

The cbr handles like dream! It feels like like it is on train tracks, super stable. I lean the bike and it’s almost like it does the rest. I would describe it as very easy to ride in that manner

In terms of power, this was my first online 4 experience! the throttle is very forgiving, i am used to the hypermotard which you can’t even sneeze on without gripping the gas tank with your legs. I am used to immediate arm ripping power from 1500 rpm. Which is not ideal for the city. So this was a nice change for me. But I am definitely not used to revving the motor! I still have not gone over 8000 rpm! I mentally can’t get over the fact this thing goes up to 17k rpm. I hear the motor rev and think it’s going to explode!

ABS

wow what a different animal, it’s almost like the brakes get stronger the faster you travel? For example driving 20 km to the lights the brakes are spongy. Then going 100 km the brakes are hard and immediate.. I still find myself squeezing and letting go and “feeling” to not lock up.. but then I know when I do that I am not using the abs properly!

I have owned Honda’s before and started on a Honda 125, I know they are quality machines but I was totally blown away by the ride quality and smoothness of this machine

The End

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
thats what purpose built performance machines do

For all the "ss dont belong on the street" rhetoric, they are pretty sweet machines to ride

I have been riding 8 years. Last month a friend of mine was leaving country and I had a chance to buy a 2010 cbr600rr with ABS. Back in 2015 he had dropped the bike twice in one summer trying to teach himself to wheelie. I was there once..The bike had cosmetic damage to the bar end, to the swing arm and chinese fairings! And a slightly twisted subframe

It came with an extra set of brand new chinese fairings! I knew the bike very well and knew mechanically it was fine. The price was $3200 the mileage was only 17k so I couldn’t say no. I bought her.

I brought her home. Stripped off the fairings,oil change, coolant flush, new air filter. With the help of Gtam members, I straightened out the subframe (Have a thread on the fix). I touched up the scratches on the fairing and swing arm. I did not even bother putting on the brand new chinese fairings. I figured if I am changing fairings I am getting used oem. I even did a tail chop and built a custom plate holder and change to led blinkers to clean up the back end...

After putting her back together..btw these chimes fairings are a nightmare ... I took her out for 2 rides

I own a 2005 monster 800 and a 2008 hypermotard 1100, so this review is in light of my experience with them.

The cbr handles like dream! It feels like like it is on train tracks, super stable. I lean the bike and it’s almost like it does the rest. I would describe it as very easy to ride in that manner

In terms of power, this was my first online 4 experience! the throttle is very forgiving, i am used to the hypermotard which you can’t even sneeze on without gripping the gas tank with your legs. I am used to immediate arm ripping power from 1500 rpm. Which is not ideal for the city. So this was a nice change for me. But I am definitely not used to revving the motor! I still have not gone over 8000 rpm! I mentally can’t get over the fact this thing goes up to 17k rpm. I hear the motor rev and think it’s going to explode!

ABS

wow what a different animal, it’s almost like the brakes get stronger the faster you travel? For example driving 20 km to the lights the brakes are spongy. Then going 100 km the brakes are hard and immediate.. I still find myself squeezing and letting go and “feeling” to not lock up.. but then I know when I do that I am not using the abs properly!

I have owned Honda’s before and started on a Honda 125, I know they are quality machines but I was totally blown away by the ride quality and smoothness of this machine

The End

I got myself a cbr1krr this year, and second your review, especially the parts about ride stability and smoothness. It's also my first SS, and I feel it's easier to ride than my ninja 650. Turning and switching lanes feels natural, unlike on the 650 which felt a bit awkward (had that for 2 years, still felt awkward).

The seating position is not overly aggressive on Honda's. I used to ride my friends zx6r and my wrists used to start hurting after 20 min. Hasn't happened on the Honda.

Last edited:
another inline 4 convert. Welcome :D

I still have yet to own a Honda V4 ....sigh.

You have the same amazing C-ABS braking system I have on the CBF1000 ....would be awesome on 90lb lighter machine.
Just for fun, in case you have not noticed ...come to a stop with the rear only ...you'll see the front drop a bit as the combined system works.

Have fun ....see ya in Pennsylvania .....hmmmm the uphill portion of 144 below Renovo on that thing ...:D

I got myself a cbr1krr this year, and second your review, especially the parts about ride stability and smoothness. It's also my first SS, and I feel it's easier to ride than my ninja 650. Turning and switching lanes feels natural, unlike on the 650 which felt a bit awkward (had that for 2 years, still felt awkward).

The seating position is not overly aggressive on Honda's. I used to ride my friends zx6r and my wrists used to start hurting after 20 min. Hasn't happened on the Honda.

I have heard the hondas and suzukis tend to be the more comfy SS

I can relate to some of the comments above. Just picked up a Ducati Supersport and sold my Ninja 650R. Although it's not a pure super sport like the CBR 600RR. It's quite the difference coming from an everyday decent road bike to something with a lot more torque , power, amazing handling, suspension and newer tech like ABS , traction control etc.

First time for me with ABS on a bike also. Still used to not hammering the brakes keep forgetting I have ABS. I noticed it the other day when I was coming to hard stop at an intersection which had some gravel. Was a weird feeling. But the bike stayed perfectly in line and stopped quick.

Last edited:
I can relate to some of the comments above. Just picked up a Ducati Supersport and sold my Ninja 650R. Although it's not a pure super sport like the CBR 600RR. It's quite the difference coming from an everyday decent road bike to something with a lot more torque , power, amazing handling, suspension and newer tech like ABS , traction control etc.

First time for me with ABS on a bike also. Still used to not hammering the brakes keep forgetting I have ABS. I noticed it the other day when I was coming to hard stop at an intersection which had some gravel. Was a weird feeling. But the bike stayed perfectly in line and stopped quick.
Coworker got one last year, things a total beauty. He got the matte pearl white color. And the "S" model which comes loaded. Has raised handlebars compared to a SS, which makes it more comfy and ideal for street. The only thing I hate about it is its name "Supersport". Ducati marketing or whoever comes up with names fell short on that one.

IMO, probably a good idea in general not to ride assuming your bike has ABS. Always assume it doesn't so you don't get used to it (not rely on it).

Oh and congratulations on the purchase!

Last edited:
Yea I agree with the name not being the best. Insurance classifies it in the same category as A 1litre supersport bike. I tried to explain it's basically a sporty touring bike. But all the new tech is interesting. 3 different riding modes, ABS, Traction control. But it's amazing to feel the difference when you step up in a bike that has amazing handling , suspension , braking. Its like I'm riding the 250r easy to take turns , lean into a corner ...except with a lot more power. It's confidence inspiring.

O.P. the one thing I am curious about is how do you find the differet riding position? That must be the biggest adjustment to me. Riding that bike for more than a couple hours must be something you have to get used to. I know my wrists wouldn' last after a hour.

Did it come with too many bolts?

Yea I agree with the name not being the best. Insurance classifies it in the same category as A 1litre supersport bike. I tried to explain it's basically a sporty touring bike. But all the new tech is interesting. 3 different riding modes, ABS, Traction control. But it's amazing to feel the difference when you step up in a bike that has amazing handling , suspension , braking. Its like I'm riding the 250r easy to take turns , lean into a corner ...except with a lot more power. It's confidence inspiring.

O.P. the one thing I am curious about is how do you find the differet riding position? That must be the biggest adjustment to me. Riding that bike for more than a couple hours must be something you have to get used to. I know my wrists wouldn' last after a hour.

I been riding today 3 hours my wrists are okay. But I really focus on holding myself with my torso instead of leaning into the wrist

Mind you I ussually take a drink or a piss break every 45-60 min

I have heard the hondas and suzukis tend to be the more comfy SS
Ya my friends GSXR is WAY more comfortable than my ZX6R. The seat and rear-sets are noticeably lower giving you a slight more up right position.
Was thinking of getting a GSXR/CBR for that reason, but the Kawi is smoother, shifts nicer, and handles bette IMO.
Enjoy the SS! It's hard to go back after you get the taste of an inline 4. Take it to the track then you will really know what these things are capable of.

another inline 4 convert. Welcome :D

I still have yet to own a Honda V4 ....sigh.

You have the same amazing C-ABS braking system I have on the CBF1000 ....would be awesome on 90lb lighter machine.
Just for fun, in case you have not noticed ...come to a stop with the rear only ...you'll see the front drop a bit as the combined system works.

Have fun ....see ya in Pennsylvania .....hmmmm the uphill portion of 144 below Renovo on that thing ...:D
Oh buddy, They pack a punch! 1983 V65 Magna fastest production bike in the world (and it's a cruiser!). For some reason I thought you had a ST1100 V4? Must have been thinking of someone else

Interesting. Back in the day, swapped my GSXR750 with a buddy with a ZX7. The Gixxer was more like a greyhound and the ZX more like a pitbull.

Just saw a pic of this I took at the Forks....

wish I were younger...

honda-vfr-100526-598.jpg

fill out the V4 wanna

Mind you I ussually take a drink or a piss break every 45-60 min

Finally! Someone I can ride with and not hold them up! Lol

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom