New(ish) Yamaha R6 - Need help with maintanence | GTAMotorcycle.com

New(ish) Yamaha R6 - Need help with maintanence

DannyD

Hello,

New to the forum. I'm a long time rider who sold my bike 6 years ago... Recently rented a Ducati 1299 in Vegas and got the itch to ride again.

I just bought a 2003 Yamaha R6 with... 600KM.. That's not a typo, with 600 original KM on it. Bike looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor! The previous owner was an older lady who thought she would ride it, but never got into it and only rode it a handful of times.

It's been stored indoors all it's life, started up every year no problem. It was brought into the dealer for maintenance 3 years ago and has been sitting since then..... Recognizing that everything is OLD it needs a bunch of work before I put it on the road.

I've put a comprehensive list of what I'd like to update on it, but wanted to run it by you guys to see if there is anything I'm missing.

• Oil & Filter
  • Brake Fluid
  • Air Filter
  • Spark Plugs
  • Battery
  • Clean/Lube Chain
  • Fuel Pump ((Which I believe has the filter inside)Gas tank has some rust resedue inside I have to clean out as well)
  • Tires

Is there anything else you'd recommend? I'm assuming the original chain, sprocket, brake pads, wheel bearings, forks, are all OK. The seals on the forks appear to be in good condition and feel OK.

Other things I considered are new clutch/throttle cables as it's possible the grease has dried up?

Hoping to get opinions on whether there is anything else that I need to buy for it before I get it on the rode.

Thanks!
Dan

Last edited:
drain/flush coolant
change fork oil
lube swing arm pivot
ensure rear shock moves
air filter and spark plugs are probably ok
rusty tank sounds like the major issue
and the fuel system forward of that

an older lady bought an R6
sounds like a very cool gal
too bad she didn't get to ride it much

Change- Oil & Filter
Change- Brake Fluid
Probably not needed- Air Filter
Probably not needed- Spark Plugs
Probably not needed if working ok now- Battery
Yes- Clean/Lube Chain
Probably just the filter- Fuel Pump ((Which I believe has the filter inside)Gas tank has some rust resedue inside I have to clean out as well)
Depends on age- Tires

Last edited:
First of all, what maintenance was done at the dealer 3 yrs ago? Some of what is being suggested may already have been done.

Second, source a repair manual so you can see what sort of maintenance needs to be done and when (might luck out and find a free downloadable copy online). Follow the instructions in the manual and label/bag everything and take pictures when disassembling so you can easily re-install everything you took off the bike.

You might want to check, and clean all electrical connections...and dress with dilectric grease. For a bike sitting so long, it will undoubtably have some surface corrosion. Pick up some extra fuses.

If the battery isn’t brand new or if it hasn’t been on a tender, take it and have it load tested.

Congrats and enjoy the new ride .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll take all that into consideration when doing my maintenance. Hoping to get it on the road in the next week of two.

@Javafan - she didn’t ride it at all. It has exactly 525km. Got the original bill of sale with purchase!

@Riceburner - Thanks!

@Fattboy - I’m at Spadina and Bloor. If you want to come by PM your details.

@Robbo - Helpful. I checked many of the electrical components and found little to no corrosion. Got the manual online - should be good!

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that someone would go to such lengths to baby a barely used motorcycle (stored indoors, dealer service even when barely being ridden, etc) and then miss such an important basic step of leaving it with a full tank of gas to avoid tank rust.

Dan, if your a long time rider these are Very Very basic questions.... ones to think.... Im thinking your NOT a long time rider.

good luck!

Thanks Motomech.. that was VERY helpful.

10 years riding experience. Business professional with 0 years being a mechanic. My previous bikes were new and didn’t require anything but an oil change.

Only question was whether I missed anything.

Back
Top Bottom