Trailering bike home from Quebec. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailering bike home from Quebec.

Iceman

I've tried the search function but couldn't find anything either or Google. Recently saw someone mention that an unregistered bike must be in an enclosed trailer in Quebec, not sure if true. I'm looking at a bike in Montreal, just want to pay him, load up and run for home. I have an open landscaping type trailer I use and don't want hassles.
Has anyone heard of this? How serious are they? Montreal is a ways from Ontario and provides plenty of opportunity for police interaction.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I've tried the search function but couldn't find anything either or Google. Recently saw someone mention that an unregistered bike must be in an enclosed trailer in Quebec, not sure if true. I'm looking at a bike in Montreal, just want to pay him, load up and run for home. I have an open landscaping type trailer I use and don't want hassles.
Has anyone heard of this? How serious are they? Montreal is a ways from Ontario and provides plenty of opportunity for police interaction.

Yes its true.

I bought a bike off someone in Gatineau recently and he brought it over to Ottawa for the safety inspection in the back of his pick up truck. Didn't realize it was illegal and the guy was a cop too.

build an osb box to cover it in the trailer? I would say tarp, but it will most likely look like a moto...

I think it has something to do with the Quebec legal riding season.

I have 2 options. Rent a van/cube truck that'll fit it, or rent a small enclosed trailer. I don't want to pull much of an enclosed trailer with my honda odyssey. I've also got my eye on a few Ontario bikes.

Just picked up the GF's bike from just outside Montreal. Used a U-Haul bike trailer. We checked out the procedure with the MTO and the legality of a bike in a open trailer was not mentioned. We were told, by the mechanic at the shop were we picked the bike up, to keep the Quebec plate on the bike until we were over the border, said the cops "don't like that" referring to seeing an un-plated bike.
hope this helps

Only thing I could find online was that any moving vehicle with wheels touching the ground must be plated. That's why CAA tow truck drivers will refuse to tow an unplated car because the police will fine the tow truck driver.

I think the confusion here is between a tow and a flatbed trailer.

Otherwise all those semis with the car haulers carrying new cars to the dealership would be paying fines for each unplated car they're hauling.

Never heard that before. Source?
That's my problem. I've only ever seen it mentioned on Gtam twice, once within the last week someone mentioned it and once within the last year. I can't find any reference to it online anywhere. I'm not even sure it's true or not, was looking for clarification.

Never heard that before. Source?

Everybody who rides in the ATAQ and Quebec CVMG for the last 20 plus years. First I heard it was from a lawyer who worked for the RCMP. Since then I noticed that even a riding lawn mower being open carried in Quebec has a license plate on it.

You might not get caught or you might get pulled over by the gendarme :/ how good is your french.

By source, I meant something documented, not hearsay.

Do these get pulled over all the time in Quebec?

6230075328_cfba8e6c8c_b.jpg

Feel free to test the theory first hand and please do let us know how you make out.

That's my problem. I've only ever seen it mentioned on Gtam twice, once within the last week someone mentioned it and once within the last year. I can't find any reference to it online anywhere. I'm not even sure it's true or not, was looking for clarification.

This is a generic problem of sorts. Someone says something, possibly true, and it only takes a few seconds to raise the point. However finding the actual facts takes a lot longer. If there are no facts, how do you know? Maybe you didn't search far enough.

All I know is when you are standing around with 30 or more riders in Quebec and you ask why all of their competition dirt bikes have plates on them and they all tell you the same thing, there is likely some validity to it. Twenty years later and I am still hearing the same thing; don't open transport a motor vehicle through Quebec without a plate or permit. ymmv.

Well I keep finding vague references on the Internet but nothing definitive. The saaq and highway safety code sites are a nightmare to navigate.
I do not want issues on the side of the road hours from home. I've looked into renting an enclosed trailer and for less than $50 it's a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom