Trailering bike home from Quebec. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailering bike home from Quebec.

Call a MTL police detachment. Someone there will speak english and ask what the actual law is.

This could be another one of those "someone said it was a law, so it must be" mothers tales...or it could be some obscure stupid law or justification. If it's the latter, remember, just when you think the laws are screwed up in Ontario...there's always worse.

3 years ago I bought a wr250x unplated from a guy in Longueuil (suburb of Montreal) and brought it back on an open trailer, then did the safety and had it blue plated here. Never saw anything about this issue when I researched the process and never had a problem with the cops in Quebec. I'm not making any definitive point about the law on the subject, just relaying my experience.

I transport bikes etc out of the Montreal area alot, and have never heard of this.

That includes fully enclosed and open deck.

I towed a bike from Montreal in a U-haul motorcycle trailer and did not have one single problem. I know several other people who have towed vehicles in open trailers from Quebec as well.
I don't think it's a law that's heavily enforced. Obviously you are taking some sort of a chance but not a big one I believe.

Well I don't tend to speed much, van and trailer are both in good condition and well lit. Maybe I'll just use my own lol.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

A couple years ago I bought a bike from dealership in Saguenay. The owner agreed to meet me halfway in Montreal since he was going anyway. He just put it in the back of his pickup for the 5 hour drive. He helped me load it onto my open trailer, and didn't warn me about anything. I figure if anyone would know the law on transporting unplated/unregistered motorcycles, it would be a dealership?

What kind of bike? If you have a minivan, just put it inside with a (good) wheel chock and tie down using the seat anchors. Used to do that with my Odyssey, but only with sport bikes. Might not work for a big heavy cruiser, or a tall dirt/dual sport (maybe if you pre-compress the suspension).

Back
Top Bottom