1982 XV920R -- What's it worth? | GTAMotorcycle.com

1982 XV920R -- What's it worth?

Mad Mike

Thinking about selling my 1982 Yamaha XV290R. It's a real chain drive, runs, and is unmolested. Never been painted, never been dropped. Has all plastics, the changes from OE are the exhaust (Mac 2 into 1) and the rear luggage carrier was removed.

She need a new lover, I no longer have time to tinker with her. She's in great mechanical shape -- everything works and I'd take her cross country without a worry. She needs tires.

These are the only pics I have, I will dig the old girl out and update.
vx.jpg
vx.jpg
vx1.jpg
vx.jpg

What is she worth?

xv.jpg

xv2.jpg

xv2.jpg

xv2.jpg

vx.jpg
vx.jpg

vx2.jpg

really popular to bob, as you know
some of them turn out really nice
value is hard to peg...

the waxed beard crowd would pay if it was done to their liking
stock like that...maybe start at 2K, see if there are bites?
be a shame to see it hacked and given up on, and back on kijiji for a grand

if I had the proper place for it, I'd be very interested

really popular to bob, as you know
some of them turn out really nice
value is hard to peg...

the waxed beard crowd would pay if it was done to their liking
stock like that...maybe start at 2K, see if there are bites?
be a shame to see it hacked and given up on, and back on kijiji for a grand

if I had the proper place for it, I'd be very interested
I hear ya. I really shouldn't be attached to her but she is a piece of motorcycle heritage. I don't mind if it's run as-is as a survivor, restored to original or converted to a resto-mod by the hands of a craftsman -- I'd feel bad if the old girl was sodomized by a hacker who thought they could do one of the above.

I could be wrong, but don't those folks like to go after basket cases? Replace the tires and sell it as ready to ride

I also have a late(er) model starting system with bendix, starter motor and left side case cover. That's about $500 worth of upgrade. I never installed it because the upgraded OE starter still works fine.

How many KMs ?
If its not ridiculous mileage I'm guessing $1500-2000 uncertified.
I'd gladly have a look at it if you like, a long term restoration project would look good in my garage if its not too far gone.

How many KMs ?
If its not ridiculous mileage I'm guessing $1500-2000 uncertified.
I'd gladly have a look at it if you like, a long term restoration project would look good in my garage if its not too far gone.

Does it run now ? PM me.

$700-$1200 And I'd never take that bike across country.
If I put a set of tires on this 35year old bike, the chances of it making it to Vancouver and back without visiting a mechanic are better than my neighbour's 2018 Roadglide.

A 920r is somewhat collectable, better than most old jap bikes. They are becoming scarce for a couple of reasons: 1) custom builder love them. The have a cool frame -- hydroformed backbone with monoshock and engine as a stressed member. Yamaha is a 'parts bin' manufacturer so you can interchange from a variety of models with ease -- R1 front end, R6 swingarm brakes and rear wheel.
2) You can ride any Yamaha XV and expect modern day dependability. Change the oil once a year, spark plugs, brake service and tuneup every 30K - rinse and repeat until overhauling at 120,000km.

I have a few antiques, Hagerty does a good job of monitoring market prices -- 920r prices have soared in the last 2 years and are still climbing. https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1982-yamaha-xv920r

If I put a set of tires on this 35year old bike, the chances of it making it to Vancouver and back without visiting a mechanic are better than my neighbour's 2018 Roadglide.

A 920r is somewhat collectable, better than most old jap bikes. They are becoming scarce for a couple of reasons: 1) custom builder love them. The have a cool frame -- hydroformed backbone with monoshock and engine as a stressed member. Yamaha is a 'parts bin' manufacturer so you can interchange from a variety of models with ease -- R1 front end, R6 swingarm brakes and rear wheel.
2) You can ride any Yamaha XV and expect modern day dependability. Change the oil once a year, spark plugs, brake service and tuneup every 30K - rinse and repeat until overhauling at 120,000km.

I have a few antiques, Hagerty does a good job of monitoring market prices -- 920r prices have soared in the last 2 years and are still climbing. https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1982-yamaha-xv920r

I agree somewhat with what you say. I owned an XV750L Virago and it was a smooth well engineered engine on a comfortable bike. What makes the 920 popular with builders is their very, very low second hand price, the 90 degree V-twin configuration and they are much more solid than later models. It is also a good looking engine and Yamaha sold lots of them at firesale prices. I had loads of problems with mine. Everything from broken control switches, failing ignition boxes, malfunctioning kick stand switch and disintegrating wheel bearings, all on a brand new bike. The Mitsubishi ignition box can is also prone to failure, especially if the bike has been jump started or put on a high-powered charger. If I was going on a long trip with one I would carry and extra CDI box.

Bottom line (IMO), its a 36 year old motorcycle.
Its worth what its worth DEPENDING ON CONDITION.
if it needs a bunch of rolling chassis (fork seals, fork tubes, brakes, wheel/steering head bearings) or motor upgrades (clutch, cam chain or tensioners, transmission) or electrical (the starter motor you mentioned) or carburetors (the Hitachis are notorious for no parts availability) that will all influence price.
As a long term restoration project where you're not paying a shop to do it, then fine BUT as a daily runner its best for a prospective buyer to look elsewhere.

IMO, any bike in the 500cc+ realm that is certifiable, running well and in fair to good cosmetic shape is worth $2,000, regardless of age. You can find bikes out there for less, but chances are by the time you fix the few things it needs to cert you're pretty well at the $2k mark anyway. If it doesn't match that criteria, price accordingly. I hate it when people think that just because it is XX years old that it should be worth pennies.

Very popular with the bobber and even cafe racer crowd. Seen a few done well. Seen a lot done poorly.

done right, it can be a very nice looking bobber
strip away the plastic and it looks all engine
and it's a very nice looking engine

this is a good example, swing arm unchanged
forks, other than looks are unchanged
sub frame and seat redone

only thing outright purchased looks to be the laced wheels
hipsters would be willing to make payments forever on a bike done this way

http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/0VgFQSZ.jpg[/img]

done right, it can be a very nice looking bobber
strip away the plastic and it looks all engine
and it's a very nice looking engine

this is a good example, swing arm unchanged
forks, other than looks are unchanged
sub frame and seat redone

only thing outright purchased looks to be the laced wheels
hipsters would be willing to make payments forever on a bike done this way

http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/0VgFQSZ.jpg[/img]
That's a nice example, it's a real 920R resto-mod. I see:

Benelli clone tank (India - $150... should have had the Monza Cap option)
Laced Wheels -- this isn't cheap. Hubs from XS650 relaced with wider aluminum rims
MAC 2-1 exhaust
Fork brace + gaiters
Speedo & tach replace (I like the large OE gauge set)
Customer rear subframe and seat
Relocated battery and solenoid
Mikuni carb conversion
Changed headlight (personally I think the giant OE 8" looks better

This is a Greg Hagman http://www.hagemanmc.com/ show bike build -- his builds are always beautiful and inspire a lot of Virago resto-mods. He usually builds off Viragos, the one in the pic is a real XV920R (not a Virago 920).

You seem to be selling a lot of your bikes

What's it worth?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's worth what you can get for it.
If you can find the right buyer who is looking for this exact motorcycle you may get $1500 to $2000.
But finding that buyer.
On the other hand you will probably wind up with much less.

You seem to be selling a lot of your bikes
I've sold a few that don't get enjoyed. I sold the the Ninja 250 because I didn't ride it enough, the Goldwing because I'm not I'm not old enough to enjoy it, the Hayabusa because I'm too old to enjoy it. I'm gonna keep the FJR and Vstrom and 1 antique.

The old girls are gathering dust, it's time to find them new owners who can enjoy them as much as I have.

Back
Top Bottom