New Rider and going to buy a bike.. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider and going to buy a bike..

Now that you put it out there you better put a deposit down on her or it will be gone soon. Never show your hand!

I think I kind of put it at risk once I posted this thread. It is very easy to find this bike on kijiji.. If I will not buy it today then I'm sure that it will be gone in next 24 hours..

I guess MacDoc found it on Kijiji too : ) here is the link: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...le/1355893782?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Thanks for the pointer to Mototech in Milton but they are closed today. I'm thinking about using CAA to deliver it to my house and then certify it later in some place nearby. I will have a week to do it (before will finish the safety course and then get insurance).

I would love to get a model with ABS, but I hope I can handle it without ABS too : ) just will practice and practice and practice..

So, my plan is to check:
- Overall condition
- Oil level and condition
- Tires
- Wheels are straight and in one line
- Brake pads and calipers
- Cold start (if possible)
- Engine sound (don't have much experience with bikes, so it would be just for major issues)
- Docs

Would like to check brake fluid, but as far as I understand, it is not that easy on this bike..

Sometimes caa will send a flatbed for motorcycles which is probably the worst way to tow a bike as the bike will literally be stretched with straps lengthwise to secure it. Make sure they don’t send a flatbed or get the owner to deliver it instead

Sometimes caa will send a flatbed for motorcycles which is probably the worst way to tow a bike as the bike will literally be stretched with straps lengthwise to secure it. Make sure they don’t send a flatbed or get the owner to deliver it instead
With CAA in Ontario, I'm pretty sure a flatbed is your best bet. No contracted tow truck driver here AFAIK is going to have a dedicated motorcycle trailer. A standard tow is clearly the worst way to carry a motorcycle... Unless you're ok with scratched everything

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

So, if anyone is curious, I got it! My mechanic already checked it and it is in a very good condition. It does need a few things (new tires, read break pad) but that's it! I'm so happy now! Can't wait to get insurance and start riding!

Buy - sort details later.

Try Chris South for insurance....tell him I sent you by.

csouth@surnet.net

Thanks! Will do it first thing on Tue morning!

So, I got a flatbed. The owner wouldn't be able to deliver it as it wasn't insured. I see your point about stretching, but I guess it was my only option at that moment. But definitely will remember it for the future.

congrats!...looked like a good one
even if you can't ride it for a bit
it's a great feeling to admire it
and know you will fulfill that dream

CAA Isn’t a delivery firm....it’s for breakdowns, abusing the service is likely to have repercussions at some point. Call a proper delivery service like toyhauler from this site.

CAA Isn’t a delivery firm....it’s for breakdowns, abusing the service is likely to have repercussions at some point. Call a proper delivery service like toyhauler from this site.
SWAT teams arent going to come kicking the door at 3 am.

If hes paying them, and is transparent ,I don't see the harm.

Toy hauler charge 100$ just to show up, and another $3 per km.

SWAT teams arent going to come kicking the door at 3 am.

If hes paying them, and is transparent ,I don't see the harm.

Toy hauler charge 100$ just to show up, and another $3 per km.

Yes....and there’s a reason for that. Haulage is expensive...abuse the CAA system and at some point the people that legitimately use the service for breakdowns are going to get hosed. What’s up with people today? Was the word honesty removed from the millennial version of the dictionary?

Yes....and there’s a reason for that. Haulage is expensive...abuse the CAA system and at some point the people that legitimately use the service for breakdowns are going to get hosed. What’s up with people today? Was the word honesty removed from the millennial version of the dictionary?

100% agree. Unfortunately, I broke down there and needed some help to get my bike to a safe place. At the same time, CAA is a great service and I strongly recommend to all my friends to use in day-to-day life (it helped me and my wife many times). I would assume that it would be better to not continue this discussion. If you have some other comments - feel free to send me PM and we can discuss everything in details.

haha.....inter-generational conflict

you know they expect us to continue making it easy for them
like we did from the day they were born, then we set them free
or we tried to anyway, most of them don't ever leave....
but I digress, when they acquired view points from other sources
they felt empowered that we had ruined the earth and saddled them with debt
we know this as they told us so as they ate the dinner Mom cooked
then they went to their room, that they should have moved out of long ago
to seek validation via social media over the wifi that we pay for

Made a post about it long ago, but this has been going on since time immemorial.

Im sure your parents' generation felt the same about you. And the golden generation that fought in ww2 and survived the depression felt the same way about your parents.
That your all lazy bums, and sit around doing nothing all day but listen to that noise you call music

Goes back to the cavemen really.

With CAA in Ontario, I'm pretty sure a flatbed is your best bet. No contracted tow truck driver here AFAIK is going to have a dedicated motorcycle trailer. A standard tow is clearly the worst way to carry a motorcycle... Unless you're ok with scratched everything

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

No you’re wrong. They have dedicated Motorcycle tows. I’ve got a tow from one. With a flat bed.. to secure the bike they use ratchet straps through the front and back wheels you can actually see the frame of the bike stretching as it is being secured to the bed.

So, if anyone is curious, I got it! My mechanic already checked it and it is in a very good condition. It does need a few things (new tires, read break pad) but that's it! I'm so happy now! Can't wait to get insurance and start riding!
Congrats on the new bike! Enjoy and good luck on the course too. See you out on the road soon!!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Great have fun, remember to stay sharp around intersections, and take it easy around corners for a bit.

No you’re wrong. They have dedicated Motorcycle tows. I’ve got a tow from one. With a flat bed.. to secure the bike they use ratchet straps through the front and back wheels you can actually see the frame of the bike stretching as it is being secured to the bed.

That I'd like to see. Regular tows hang the bike from the tow arm. Flat bed is the best way to tow a MC. Doing it properly is needed though.

That I'd like to see. Regular tows hang the bike from the tow arm. Flat bed is the best way to tow a MC. Doing it properly is needed though.

They have tows that operate the same way as a lift does lift table comes down, drive bike on, lift table lifts the bike up horizontal/flat and then pulls forward. Doesn’t drag it up by the front end. Any time I’ve seen a bike being secured to a flat bed I have witnessed the bike stretch out because the forks are being pulled forward while the rear axle is being pulled backward. Call it poor tow or whatever you want to call it but I won’t use a flat bed

Back
Top Bottom